1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Great-Uncle is racist but supports LGBT rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jolly Roger, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Jolly Roger

I went to a dinner at my grandparents earlier today, everything was fine but my family is quite known for debates and squabbles at any remotely large get together. The topic that was discussed and set off the argument, was the law that was just passed in Indiana. It started with the elderly people squabbling about gay marriage, when my grandfather who is very old and conservative said he doesn't support it. At this point we all expected my uncle who is undeniably racist, to pipe in and join my grandfather on his tangent, instead he said something that about made me fall over..."Well why the hell not! If they love each other who are you to tell them who they can marry? Our real problem is these African Americans(he didn't use that term) having ten children in which they can't support!" :icon_sad: :eek:
    When he said both those sentences consecutively, it gave me hope but also made me ashamed. He made a lot of other arguments for LGBT people and how they contributed to society throughout the gathering, but also made quite a bit of degrading comments about those of other ethnic backgrounds. The night ended with me and my grandmother debating, she thinks that gays should be able to get paperwork for taxes and marriage benefits and such, but shouldn't be able to get physically married:bang: A lot of this saddens me, and it makes me lose hope that if I was to come out to them after I go to college, they wouldn't accept me.

Does anyone have any family gatherings like this, or anyone in their families that resemble my uncle? I'm quite curious, he could be a rare specimen.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The are racists on EC and in practically every community in existence. The one doesn't always go with the other.

3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    really i didnt see any racist comment here or i missed one or two ??? :confused:

4. CyclingFan

Sometimes they do get taken down. I have seen explicitly pro nazi statements on here and plenty of other racist and sexist expressions.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unfortunately, people don't tend to see things the way they actually are, so while racism and homophobia are both forms of prejudice based entirely on factors that cannot be controlled by the individual, some people seem to think that one of them is more acceptable than the other.
    I suppose it's better to be racist and support LGBT+ rights than to be both a racist and a homophobe, but it's still not brilliant :/

Sometimes, older generations can be very ignorant about these things. He might not even realise what he said was racist (my uncle does that all the time)
    I'm not sure.

As for racists on EC, they are here, however the people who run the site (mods/admins/etc) are really good at their jobs, and things tend to get taken down very quickly if they're offensive.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

There was a question like this a few days ago, yes there are gay and trans racists, why would there not be? Does being in a minority automatically make you more tolerant to other minorities? No, does that mean there are no black homophobes? Of course not. I've not been here long but I've seen a few racist, sexist and straight hate posts, but they've all rightly been taken down by staff. You'll find old people can be odd when it comes to race and sex, my grandmother can't stand lesbians but can tolerate gay men, she was born in the 20's and it was a radically different time to now.

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    You could spend forever trying to dismantle the reasoning behind one individuals skewed logic. Transphobia tends to pop up now and again on EC as well, even though you'd think people in the same community really should know better.

I have a friend who has a fondness for effeminate gay men but has made insulting comments about lesbians who look butch, although to be fair she did catch herself and said something along the lines of: "maybe I have unfair double standards?" So she is aware of it at least.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Would your great-uncle be conflicted about somebody who was gay and non-white? Would he accept the gay part but detest the skin color, or would he suddenly dislike both?

I'm curious.

As for racism on EC, it's there, as others have said. The blatant racism is handled and easy to spot, but it's the subtle brand you have to watch out for. Racism isn't a no-way or all-the-way attitude, it has layers and levels.

9. MisterTinkles

LMAO.......

My sister is the same way. She couldn't care less about anybody having relations with the same sex.......but when it comes to blacks and Mexicans..........OMG, you better cover your ears!!!!

I'm surprised she isn't a member of the KKK.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The KKK hates gays.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not a pre-requisite.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an aunt who's not opposed to gay marriage and yet both she and her husband throw the N-word and have some very unflattering views on the capabilities of racial minorities...

13. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The two sentiments are not mutually exclusive. I don't know if that's the correct term but it sounds right so I'm sticking with it xD

14. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately, supporting the rights of any persecuted minority doesn't make you exempt from being a bigot. In fact, many people use their apparent support of LGBT rights as a guise to appear more "tolerant" and/or as an excuse to be more of a bigoted asshole on other issues.

True story: Not long after I came out, my cousin and her partner came over for a family lunch and the topic of gay marriage somehow came into the conversation. She blatantly stated that she didn't support it but reassured everyone that she wasn't against equality for LGBT people because she has "gay friends." I immediately looked at my sister and she shot me a "can you believe this fucking idiot" look. Suffice to say, it became an extremely awkward situation.

The point is: your uncle isn't a "rare specimen" and it's just a matter of accepting it for what it is.

15. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes it is good that your uncle supports LGBT rights. It is unfortunate that he is a racist. And you can even be LGBT and be rasist same as you can be part of a racial minority and not support LGBT rights. Some people cling to some forms of ignorance.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to me that prejudice like this is a gross over-simplification of real problems in society. Your great uncle may attribute poor family decisions to some trait of their race, when really he just might see it more in black people than anyone else because he expects to, and blaming a group is easier than picking out every singular instance of having too many kids in all races. He doesn't have any similar reason* to resent gay people I assume, so finds them harmless unlike most hardcore conservatives.

*I use "reason" most lightly; it's only a subjective explanation, not a good logical process.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, all combinations exist. Nothing surprises me. I've seen mixed stances with people. People's thinking isn't binary.

In general, it's probably a result of what was said around the house and their reference group growing up and specific experiences with and perceptions of different groups of people along someone's life journey.

What is said can definitely be offensive, but I'd really dig deep and try to figure out how much of it is hot air. Some people are so idiotic that they're annoying. Some people are even more idiotic that they approach being someone to laugh at.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing about the two of them is that they're perfect examples of people in America who say that we live in a "post-racial society" and they're racists themselves.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol.

Just because we don't have institutionalized racism doesn't mean it's not almost as bad as it was back in the day. And I don't just mean "white vs. other" either; it goes all directions.

20. Quiet Raven

We have transphobia and biphobia within the LGBT community. I see no reason to be surprised by what you described.