1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with emotions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Apr 5, 2015.

1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Since we have a dealing with stress and dealing with problems thread I'll just add this one
    How do you deal with emotions?

I personally hate talking about them.Expressing them through hugging or crying is alright but it just ruins everything talking about it.

I usually tend to keep my emotions in line because they get in the way when staying reasonable

2. NewKid87

Alcohol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Kidding! I guess it varies based on the emotion. If I'm angry, I remove myself from other people. I can only calm down if I'm alone, then I either watch TV or work out to distract myself. If I'm sad it's the opposite - I need someone to talk to. If I'm crushing on someone I can't have...I don't know. You tell me how to deal with that :lol:

Fortunately, I've found that if I give it time, my cooler head almost always prevails.

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have another 6 months to wait before that becomes a legal option :wink:

I tend to just bury my emotions. I'm a lot more open online than in person for some reason :/

4. Jolly Roger

I write about them in my journal/diary, It allows me to express my concerns and plan on how to deal with them in the best way possible.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write about them. It helps me analyze what I'm feeling and think about it in a more sensible way.

6. MisterTinkles

It depends on what emotions they are.

I used to keep everything bottled up when I was young, like most of you guys do.

Then I met a lady one day, and became friends with her. I was able to talk to her about anything. She was a very wise lady.

She said to me, "you are the only one who is bottling these feelings and emotions inside yourself, nobody is forcing you to do it...so why not scream about it"? And just then, she screamed bloody murder out into the air.

And thats what I do now. I scream, cuss, and yell......at the air, at the trees, at people I'm driving passed.

And I feel like this afterwards....

[​IMG]

7. AAASAS

Drown them out with music, I'm a fucking spazz, and really can't deal with emotions properly.

[youtube]OFTEkAt_8R4[/youtube]

8. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just discovered this last month. I deal with extreme emotions by making an artwork, as suggested by an EC friend of mine. I have made 2 artworks (uploaded in my album and my blog) that are results of extreme emotions, one from a complicated love and the other is homophobia.

Before this, I usually just keep it inside me. That's why I sometimes cry without reason in some public places.

9. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm so jealous of people that are talented enough to pour their emotions into artwork or music. I wish I had a creative outlet. All I do is cry or eat or lock myself away.

10. soccergirl16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I usually cry and eat away my feelings too...usually while blasting music or sometimes if im being more productive ill go for a walk or run

11. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I might try going for a walk or writing it down like some people suggested. Probably a healthier option than just shutting down.

12. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe we all have creativity... or a bit of creativity within us. We all (many of us, I should say) could doodle, bang away at a keyboard or write... It seems you write well--the little I've seen online. I wish I wrote as well. English is my second language, truthfully.

Since I've developed CTS, it's been difficult--being creative and expressing my emotions. I could only draw 30 minutes a day and I can't play the keyboard or guitar anymore, but I can type/post a bit online and... I'm still designing websites. That seems to be my creative outlet now.

I used to journal 20 minutes a day to process through emotions and thoughts; it's called brain drain. I learned about it reading The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. I highly recommend that book to anyone who wants to find/rediscover their inner artist. Sadly, I didn't finish working through the exercises in the book and now I find myself in this position--with limited use of my hands. If only I could go back in time and not be so hard on myself. I was too much of a perfectionist back then.

#12 trichobezoar, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  13. robotman

I really don't know how I deal with emotions, I mostly bottle them in and rarely say what I am thinking because I don't want to stress anyone out with my feelings >_<...

Writing them down is a okay way of dealing with them but the problem with that is sometimes you will be in a good mood and then you will read your last entry and will feel like crap again... Everyone deals with emotions differently. Some people cry, some get angry, some block it out, some deal with it head on, etc... It all depends on the person. For me personally, I tend to try and block them out... It doesn't work though lol.

14. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Firstly thank you :slight_smile: I'm always too quick to put myself down and rarely recognise anything good about myself.

I'm sorry to hear that you have CTS. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. It's wonderful that you are still creative and brightening the world :slight_smile:

Thank you for your suggestion of that book, I'm interested to look into it. I know what you mean about being a perfectionist. I swear nothing I ever do is good enough. It's healthy to always push yourself to do better but I always took it to the extreme where nothing was ever good enough. I'm trying to learn that just getting up everyday and trying my best is all I can do.

15. Hyliana

Hyliana Guest

I deal with emotions the same way I deal with stress, I turn them into creative energy, then I get shy again and hide what made within the deepest depths of my computer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm not an emotional person at all. I don't cry, I don't often yell and scream... On dysphoric days, I'm drained.. And otherwise nothing shows on the outside.

I rarely feel sadness, never feel guilt or loneliness.

17. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome. I probably would've finished the book if I hadn't been a perfectionist. I just... wanted to do the exercises perfectly. There were a lot of 'em. It's supposedly a 12 week course, but it seems like it'd take longer than that... I don't know really. An acquaintance of mine worked through it diligently and finished it within 12 weeks. Then again--she's focused and disciplined.

If you need advice while working through the exercises, feel free to message me. I could help a bit--give a few suggestions. I might be moving in a few months though (at the end of June) and I won't have continuous internet access then. But I could definitely help before then. After June, I might be getting online once a week? I'm not sure.

18. Scottmcdonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When it comes to emotions and dealing with them, I go from one extreme to the other! It's either me bottling everything up pretending things are okay or me crying into my pillow thinking the worst things imaginable! I am a crier so nobody watch rom-coms with me :/ :L

19. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you very much :slight_smile: hope the move goes well if you do! :icon_bigg

20. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome! : )

Many of us don't learn how to be true to ourselves--how to process through our emotions. And we're often taught, directly or indirectly, to people please. I know I was... The females in my family were all taught to please others. It's part of our subculture. Anyway, this mentality is universal to great extent. Educated members of the human race have learned to be true to themselves, however--to process through emotions and thoughts--and to be honest. I've learned throughout the years that honesty is key when it comes to expressing emotions. Honesty and courage...