1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 10% of the population really gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CuriousLiaison, Apr 6, 2015.

1. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this article and thought it might be an interesting point for discussion

Is 10% of the population really gay? | Society | The Guardian

The gist is that the 10% figure was collected with unreliable methods. Surveys generally find about 1-1.5% of people identifying as gay. People identifying as bi vary quite a bit depending on the data collection method. But there's a big difference between identity, same-sex experience (which could just mean a random kiss in the dark) and having a same-sex partner (here taken to mean someone with whom there has been genital contact intended to reach orgasm).

Also the number of people identifying as gay is heavily affected by levels of education, and also youth. I think I've seen elsewhere that about 7% of 16-35 year old Americans identify as gay, with not much variation between races and religions, except for white evangelical Protestants (1%) and atheists (12%).

Plus this article doesn't really mention the people who refuse to answer the question to a pollster on the phone, who can number another few percent and in which you'd think LGB people would be over-represented.

What do people think is an accurate number? I work with about 300 people, and 2 of them I know are gay (and wouldn't have guessed if I hadn't been told), I've heard rumours about 3 others, and there's another handful I suspect (partly down to wishful thinking). No one else in my social group is gay.

If I were to guess from personal experience, I'd probably say about 3%, and this is an area where I don't know that you can say that survey data is any sort of reliable indication.

Thoughts?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone's gay.

3. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh how I wish this were true:icon_sad:...

4. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really know how surveys work as I am sure there is some complicated number stuff going on in the background >.<

5. RainDreamer

Maybe, maybe not. The thing is that with these kinds of survey it is very, very difficult to get accurate numbers, as people tend to lie about sensitive/controversial issues. Might takes a while until being LGBT is no longer controversial, then we may have better numbers.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

The ONS in the UK puts it at 6.5% IIRC, however that's from people saying they are gay/bi, so I can imagine 10% is roughly accurate.

7. Ditz

I've crunched numbers too and honestly, I think it would be closer to 1% than 10%. I live in a town of 30,000 people... If there are 50 Gay people it would be a lot never mind 3,000...

8. Lyana

Somewhere between 3 and 10% as either gay or bi.
    I mean, I want to believe it's at least 10%, so I'm biased, but still. Definitely more than 1%. In my lecture hall of 75, there's 3 of us that I know of. It's not that hard to imagine there's at least 1 more, which would put us at 5%.

10% seems like a lot to me, and in the end, it shouldn't even matter. Even if we're only 1%, so what? We still want those rights.

9. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it shouldn't matter, but it does tend to be the case that when people are arguing about LGBT rights that people on one side of the argument will prefer to use higher estimates than the other, as if there's no point in going to all this fuss to allow 1% of people to marry people they love.

I mostly hope that it's a higher figure because that would make it sound a bit easier to find a boyfriend...

(Not that I'm looking for one right now, but hopefully I'm not too far off from that stage.)

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm... in the office I work in, at least 25% are LGBT...

11. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

If 10 percent of the population is gay then does that mean that every 1 in 10 people is lgbt?!

12. SocceRoo

I would guess about 3%-15% depending on the area and probably 7% on average (just guessing).

13. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Now that you mention it, there's 10 male workers(Myself included)here where I work...And I'm the only Gay one, so it's possible...

14. Ivy Saint

Ivy Saint Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    i believe it's more like 15-20%

15. candyjiru

Wow, I don't know... I think there would be a lot of people who wouldn't even take the survey because they hate even thinking about "the gays" or because they were too afraid to write it down... From US TV portrayal it seems like a huge percentage of the population is non-hetero, but I think 3~7 percent would be more likely~

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

American television portrayals would also lead you to believe, only about 10% of the population is obese, and that we're all perfect sized.

As for this topic itself, if 10% of the population is non-heterosexual, those numbers drop more, when it comes to companionship, when you tally in:

Single vs not single.
    Personal preference and attraction.
    Religion vs personal beliefs/standards.
    Location and/or availability.

It's kind of depressing, really...

17. Higs

Personally, I noted way less than 10%...

18. lemons123

5% for men and 15% for women = average 10%. Something like that.

19. 741852963

With all due respect you have put you are living in South Africa. Whilst South Africa is one of the more progressive countries on the African continent in terms of the law, social acceptance of homosexuality is still very poor statistically so it is unsurprising there is little self-publicity re sexuality.

And besides, how many of that town of 30,000 have you actually met and conversed with in depth enough to know their sexuality? I'm guessing a very small fraction, 500 tops. It is impossible to say what goes on behind closed doors.

20. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with these studies is they never take into account that many people are closeted. I personally think roughly 5% of the population is some form of LGBT, but a good portion of those remain closeted.