1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If someone can explain a term to me....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sharazan, Apr 6, 2015.

1. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello,

I come to you with a question. I have a gay friend (well I have no problem whatsoever with orientation) but due to some things he said I made a research online over interaction between people based on their sexual orientation.I do not discriminate but really I found quite interesting facts on this. So I came across both psychological papers as well as personal opinions. In one of those I found a term called "fag hag". I googled it and in the explanation it said that it is someone who has gay friends. For me it sounded very innocent and I found it amusing the whole idea that there really is a term for everything so I made the mistake of using it which cause him to get really mad on me. I asked what it means and I showed him that really this is the explanation that I found but he refused to explain to me because he said it is a really bad word.

I tried looking more online but really I could not find anything clear. Can someone please tell me what it means and by that who am I insulting? (if I insult myself it's ok but I feel bad thinking I insulted him without even realizing).

Thank you in advance and hope I don't offend anyone by this.

PS: I did post this on another forum because really I am just looking for an answer and got "hate" replies such as don't look online how to communicate with people. Before giving such answers I would like to point out that I do not have any communication issues and really this was just a word I stumbled across and all I am looking for now is to understand my mistake.

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I assume he is referring to the word "fag" to be offensive. It is a derogatory term for gay people in general. However, the term fag hag itself isn't really derogatory, in my opinion. Personally, I'm a gay male and I have no problem with the term fag hag and I'd use it myself (if I had a use for it really). I think he is being too sensitive about you using the phrase. It's best not to use it if it offends him though, of course. Also, I should say that I think your definiton is wrong. A fag hag is not simply a female with a gay friend. It is usually used to refer to a female who tends to prefer gay male friends and has many. I suppose even if you have only one gay male friend, who is your best friend, you may jokingly be referred to as his fag hag as well....

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can feel demeaning to be reduced to your sexuality and have a friend describe themselves in a way that makes it seem like you're a fashion accessory.

Apologise to him and don't use it around him; it's not universally derogatory, but if he takes offence to it, it's best to avoid it with him.

4. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes I know the fag term that I do not like either I only use the term homosexual or gay and also I hate when people use insulting names to a personal choice.

Well I would have thought that was the problem initially as well just by having the fag term in it but he said that he got mad on me because I have insulted him and myself.......I remember a search I did yesterday I think and I found in a book an explanation over this saying that a woman like this is considered less of a woman because she cannot attract straight men and also is referred as an insult to a gay man because gay men are considered to be less of a "man". Well it is a bullshit but this is something that is insulting to both parties but really I am not sure what to understand from it....

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Fag hag" is a bit of a complicated one. But I think your friend just didnt like the word "fag" (or "faggot"). Which is actually a derogatory word used to refer to homosexuals.

The meaning of the phrase "fag hag" or even "fag" doesnt really matter anyway. You just need to make sure your friend knows you are sorry for offending him and that you didnt mean to do it. You dont need to try and prove him wrong for being offended, that wont help anybody.

You seem like a good person. I wish you well (*hug*)

6. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I did apologize I do not insult people .

But what exactly does it mean? What is the insult? Was i calling him a fashion accessory?

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes.

8. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh that is so nasty :frowning2:

But then why did he say this is an insult to me most of all.....well he said that by this i insult both him and me and when I asked just tell me what it means he said he cannot say this to me......and you know even things are ok I can't put this behind me if I don't fully understand my mistake.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wel if it doesn't have to do with the term fag, it's probably Aussie's reasoning. That or he doesn't understand the phrase himself. No offense, but it doesn't sound like english is your first language and I assume it may not be his first language as well. He may be inferring a different meaning.

10. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No neither one of us is from an english speaking country. But I do not have problems understanding all words (of course if they are dictionary words or expressions and not "slangs").....but of course I assumed he knows better about these words and even with my research I haven't quite found out what my deadly sin was....

11. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm in no way an expert on this, but I would say that there's a difference between a straight woman who happens to have a lot of gay male friends, and a "fag hag".

When I hear "fag hag", my mind goes to a straight woman who doesn't just happen to have a lot of gay male friends, she has a lot of gay male friends because they are gay. A "fag hag" is someone you would commonly hear refer to her gay male friends as "my gays", for example. It reduces gay men to their sexuality or, as Aussie792 put it, accessories.

So, by using that term for yourself, while not intended, you called yourself a woman who use gay men as accessories and reduced him to his sexuality/an accessory. The term is based on his sexuality. Calling yourself a "fag hag" is similar to always introducing him as your "gay friend". Being gay doesn't define someone's entire persona.

It invalidates your friendship.

12. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you! Yes this might be what he was referring to.

Maybe I needed a different perspective in understanding this as the explanations in urban dictionaries and all that were not really clear about this aspect reason why I actually saw it as an innocent term.

13. MisterTinkles

Social Definition (United States)--

Fag Hag - a female who has more "gay" friends than "straight" friends.
    a female who prefers to hang around gay men, rather than other people.

Fag Hag can also be used as a "gay slang" term for a very effeminate gay man that refuses to be friends with anyone who is not gay - only has "gay" friends.

There is also a term of Fruit Fly, which means a "straight" person who prefers to hang around gay people, gay society, or the gay parts of town.

I don't know anyone who uses the term Fag Hag or Fruit Fly anymore.....they have kind of worked their way out of gay speech nowadays.

14. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you but please I do not want "dictionary" explanation because those I found online I need to understand how this term is perceived by people who know about it and what makes it more or less bad.

Thank you thought.

15. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't find the term fag hag offensive...In fact, my best(female)friend is a fag hag...

16. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that you're making an effort to understand! You seem to have good intentions.

Remember, a term can be fine to use around some people, while others are really offended by it. If your friend says he's uncomfortable with it, he's uncomfortable with it, no matter if you understand the reason behind it or not. Some things can simply be very difficult to fully understand unless you're gay yourself (and even that doesn't guarantee anything). But still, it's good that you're making an effort.

17. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't understand not because I am gay or straight but because I do not make these differences in society and people in general. But you know when you really care for a friend you need to understand exactly what you did in order to move forward. And because I am a stuck at the understanding point I can't see the severity of my acts and can't move to next step. Or maybe I am just the person who puts her regrets on repeat mode.

18. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it might be an unwelcome expression because it is used to describe women who are friends with gay guys, *because* they are gay, and not because they like them as people- want to be friends with them.
    It is a little bit derogatory towards the women, and it not really used by them, themselves- its like saying "this girl is hanging out with gay guys- because they are gay, and she thinks it is cooler to be friends with gay guys." It is not very offensive thought.

This is my understanding of the expression, but bear in mind that the expression might have a different meaning in languages other than english, so if you weren't talking to your friend in english, it might have changed the meaning a bit.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Let me break this down for you:

You're a woman, according to your profile.

Now, imagine somebody constantly referred to you as their "bitch friend". Imagine this somebody ONLY hangs out with you, because you are a woman. Imagine this somebody ignores anything you do or say, unless it ONLY pertains to being a woman.

This might seem tolerable at first, but over a period of time, it would be tear away at your identity. Movies, books, and music you liked, ideas and thoughts you had, even your own individuality, would be disregarded, if they did not conform to ONLY being a woman.

"Fag hag" kind of leaves that same impression.

Your intent may not be bad in this situation with your friend, but then again, you aren't the one being subjected to a term here. Some women find the word "bitch" to be empowering, and some do not. Just like some individuals are okay with "fag hag" and others are not.

20. sharazan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you. We only speak in english as even though we are in the same country/city I moved to his country so the only common language is this one. Well possibly it might be about how we perceive things....

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2015 at 05:17 AM ----------

Very "hard" explanation but thank you.