1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brownback Quote

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, May 24, 2007.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's something that I read at http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2007/05/21/5 that I wanted to comment on and get your thoughts.

What do you think of US Presidential candidate Brownback's thoughts on what makes a strong family?

"You need to redefine the definition of marriage as a union of a man and a woman. It's critical," Brownback, a Kansas senator, said to loud applause. "We've got to rebuild the family. I'm going to be the president that's the family president that helps rebuild this fundamental institution."

My comment: Rebuilding the family has nothing to do with excluding the union of gay couples in the definition of civil marriage. That has to do with reducing the divorce rate and the number of unwanted pregnancies. These are the things that threaten families and the prosperity of a society, not the gay couples wanting to start and protect the stability of their families. Few, if any, gay couples have ever had an unwanted pregnancy and believe it or not, gay couples want to have strong, lasting relationships as much as straight couples do.

Is this who we want for President of this country? No way! Speak out against this guy as much as possible.

2. You have no idea how much I hate Senator Brownback. He is another religious right wing zealot who not only gives my party a bad name, but is still stuck in the 1800's with his backwards thinking like most of those in the Jesusland part of America. Makes our country look bad. grrr....

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to make one thing clear, I am a Christian and we can be gay and Christian. Sadly, there are many who think the two are incompatible. :frowning2: I do not. :icon_bigg

4. Well I'm a republican and many think being a gay republican is not compatible when actually there are more of us than you would think. By the way i meant no offense to your religion, its just people like that tend to be super conservative highly fundamental religious nuts. I'm sorry if I made a generalization. :slight_smile:

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey DJT
    I should have mentioned that I didn't take offense to your post. I understand and can see the similarity to being republican. I was surprised at your speedy response and wanted to make sure that everyone knew my position as a gay Christian, which I should have put in the original post. I just wish those nuts could see the error in their understanding of the Bible and Jesus' Law. I wish they would stop giving a bad name to what should be a very welcoming religion.

6. I'm sorry, LOL my fault! I thought you were posting cause I said something wrong :grin:. And I agree with you, people like that need to stop corrupting what otherwise would be something welcoming.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The divorce rate itself doesn't threaten families... the divorce rate is just a symptom of families being dysfunctional. And I don't see how unwanted pregnancies threaten families, either. How does someone having a child when they don't want to negatively impact anyone else's family?

That being said, letting gay people marry (or civilly unite because of course that's just SO different from oh-so-sacred "marriage) does not in anyway affect straight marriages.

As for Christianity and Republicanism... well I won't comment. :slight_smile:

Well okay, I will on this front: for a nation that supposedly is secular and believes in the separation of church and state, and was founded partially as a response to religious persecution under the notion that the new state would not favour one religion over another, I find the US a really, really disturbing theocracy. A very hypocritical theocracy.

8. GuitarGirl1350

I have hated Brownback since I knew who he was. He's a right-wing moron who thinks if something isn't his way, it's wrong. I think of him as the type who, given the circumstances, would contribute to another mass genocide... he's always seemed a little...extreme.
    It's a good thing his poll ratings are only barely hovering around 3 percent. He'll never be president. (Though we're most likely going to end up with a republican anway. America as a whole is not ready to vote a black man or a woman into office.)
    and if he is, I'm moving to Australia.
    Or Canada.

"Rebuilding Families" by ousting gay couples? WTF? I think "rebuilding families" should focus on hmm...our startling divorce rate, alcoholism, drug use, abuse, etc. The things that TRULY tear families apart the seams and deeply hurt and injure everyone involved. A kid seeing a gay couple isn't going to scar him as deeply as his father beating him or his mother being a coke whore. Not nearly as deeply.
    But all that aside, I suppose Brownback wants to focus on the true root of all problems in today's family-
    homosexuality.
    (sarcasm, of course)

9. Yes Senator Brownback is utterly insane. I too have hated him since forever.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    America as a whole does not need to be ready... someone just needs to win the Electoral College, not 100% of the popular vote (and not even 50% of it, either).

But aside from that fact, there are non-female, non-black people running as Democrats, last time I checked.

11. GuitarGirl1350

Yeah, but the two major contenders (also the two I'd like to see in office) are Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama.
    and I meant the majority, I guess I just wrote it wrong. It's a democracy.
    I meant AS A MAJORITY, America isn't ready.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He lost my vote... (well, I am not an US citizen, but if I was there, I wouldn't vote for him). In fact, he is one of those people I would like to, um, lock in a room with dozens of horny gay guys... hehehehehehe

13. aprilblue426

let's do it.:badgrin:

14. EthanS

EthanS Guest

lmao:lol:

15. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um i have no idea who he is lol but i an against gay marriage and will be a republican but dont think they always think and what not... i mean they dont need to scream out all the time and stuff about gays so um i dont kno who i am going to vote for in 2008 thats the first time i will be able to vote but it wont be a democrat

16. GuitarGirl1350

Jman-I don't know if I understood you right, but why are you AGAINST gay marriage and on EC?
    That's like that old gov. of NJ.
    Who is a prick.
    for many reasons.

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My point was if Brownback really cares about rebuilding the family, gay marriage would be the last thing that should be addressed. Addressing the real issues, however, wouldn't be popular so he goes for what he hopes gets him votes.

I see these two things as threats to the stability of families and and the health of our society. They impact the majority of our population whereas gay marriage poses no threat that I can see. Divorce (when children are involved) breaks up a family at least a little, no matter how "friendly" the divorce is. To me, breaking up a family threatens it's stability and can be very hard on the kids. I agree there are many underlying causes of divorce and of course divorce doesn't always harm families.

Maybe unwanted pregnancies was the wrong choice of words. My thought was of people who are not mature, not responsible enough, or don't want to raise a child. If you aren't responsible enough to use birth control, should you be responsible for a child's life? I haven't researched this and it's just a theory, but it seems logical that if someone doesn't want to do something, he/she isn't going to do a very good job at it. Poorly parented kids are less respectful of other people and their property, more likely to commit crimes, less likely to have productive careers, and often continue this cycle with their own kids. This impacts the health of our society by abusing welfare programs and straining the correctional system, among other things. If so much money wasn't needed for these things, taxes could be reduced or it could be put to other uses to improve our quality of life. This is how "unwanted pregnancies" impact other families and you and me.