1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight hating gays?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NingyoBroken, Apr 6, 2015.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I noticed something, straight guys get a lot of hate from the gay community.

Really, I find it stupid and hypocritical. It's just like being homophobic, but the opposite

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The one thing I don't like is the idea to "turn" straight guys to gay relationships.

3. MrK21

probably because its lgbt not lgbts

4. randomly me

randomly me Guest

There's a lot of that us vs them mentality going on.
    i agree with you it's annoying

i guess people have made bad experience with straight people and generalize to much

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

In my experience, people here that are ranting about straight men are ranting about their behavior and not their sexual preference.

I do not hate all straight men. But I really do hate the ones who fetishize my sexuality, want to convert me and send violent threats. So when I am frustrated, I turn to a safe space to rant.

But I also know that this is a problem in various communities; for example, I encounter the same behavior from a lot of bi women. I do not hate them as individuals nor their sexuality, but I hate their behavior.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

But you see, you're generalising them (us?). It's just like when straight people say all gay men are flaming divas.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the majority of hate crimes directed against gay men are from straight men, and a lot of the sexual abuse and entitle towards women's bodies also comes from straight men (although gay men and bi men are also responsible).

Not that I approve of hate against any group. I couldn't isolate myself from 75% of the population, even if they do frustrate and hurt me at times. Much better to educate them and make new allies.

Straight white cis men = "The Man"

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree wholeheartedly. The majority of people, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender, are just ordinary and don't pose a threat to anyone.

I could hate a lot of people based on past experiences, but I don't, because those people do not represent everyone else.

Plus, if it wasn't for my sexuality, I'd be the very person everyone on here seems to dislike so much, since I have so much white and male privilege.

#8 imnotreallysure, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  9. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, she's not. She specifically said "not all straight men". I don't hate straight men in general either, just for being straight men, but I do hate those who think my sexuality is some "challenge" for them to overcome by converting or raping me, like fallingdown said. Most straight men I've met aren't like that, and we get along just dandy.

10. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate straight people, I just don't understand them very well, and I dislike the way heteronormativity works. It subtle, but it bugs me.

I totally understand that sexual attraction is not something that people can choose -and I don't have issues with the orientation as such- its like any other, buy I do have issues with comprehending some aspects of the culture. If the culture was different I would not have any feelings about straight people at all.

Eg, gender roles, cultural acceptance of the 'hierarchical' gender structure: not so long ago we had a dude here who got banned and who asserted that 'men are the leaders'- 'women like to be submissive' etc. Just the mere fact that women put up with this crap whilst also complaining about it, grinds my gears.

There are many men who are not like that- but some are & they still find partners who will complain, but not seek out better people for themselves.
    The amount of nonsense women are willing to put up with from men, whilst always complaining about them is staggering. The way some straight women present men, makes me really struggle to understand what do they like about them. - hence I don't understand how straight attraction works.

I hear straight women complaining about sexism, inequality etc and at the same time accepting all this treatment - *this* is the part I don't get- why would you keep doing something that makes you unhappy?

Eg. I had a straight 'feminist' acquaintance complain about how bouncers at a certain club are 'sexist' because they don't allow women in flat shoes- you only have to wear high-heels & don't even allow you to change into flats, at any time you are in the club.

I am not high-heel wearing person, & I simply cannot understand *why* somebody would comply with such a demand, it just seems so wrong on all levels & yet she seemed to both complain about 'sexism' and take it when it was dished out to her, because she kept returning to those places, even though there are plenty of other options- I would have simply not let this happen to me, and I struggle to understand anyone who does.

#10 LooseMoose, Apr 6, 2015
  11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You do know there's sexism towards men too, right?

This is why I hate feminists.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  13. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, but I am not even entirely sure that 'sexism' is a useful term in general, because it kind of leads to each gender accusing the other of being more sexist.

I don't think hate is a productive emotion to feel- it is good temporarily to galvanise ppl to change things, but not in the long term.

14. randomly me

randomly me Guest

There are actually nice straight persons on this site one could use as positive examples

Allies,parents and some T people

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We also had a woman here recently who insisted that she wants her men to be leaders, and they should spoil her, and pay for her. You see, it goes both ways - some men expect women to be subservient, but some women expect men to take a leading role. They want independence and want to lead their own lives, but at the same time, expect men to take care of them, and pay for nice dinners.

Nothing will ever change when both men and women think the way they do.

16. randomly me

randomly me Guest

And...i still don't get why we have gender roles...they make no sense.
    But lets not turn this thread to something about that.

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree with this. I hate everything to do with straight culture, but not heterosexuality as a sexuality. If it was more like queer culture, just exclusive attraction to the opposite sex, I would understand and get along with straight people/friends more than I currently do. Does that mean I hate them? No, but the culture frustrates me beyond belief.

Gender roles are the main reason, and I also see straight women (or men if the women endorse it) complaining about it. I read about straight relationships on forums and they sound so repressive and limiting. I can't stand the hierarchy of sex they have either (PIV is the only thing that counts as sex). It limits straight relationships (and also insults straight people who hate/can't have intercourse due to bodily conditions) but also causes them to demean and behave inappropriately around lesbians. I have straight men wanting to convert me because I can't have "real sex that bonds me to someone" and I have straight women insult/invalidate my sex life and also give themselves permission to try to sexually assault me cause "It's just fun". I'd have better tolerance for straight culture than I currently do if they removed gender roles and change their definitions of sex to be less sexist toward everyone in the community.

18. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hate, is a strong word, I prefer dislike...Here's the thing about straight boys:
    They love to drool over two girls copulating, yet they are grossed out by two guys copulating...They've hated us forever, so a lot of us will most likely hate them back...They think they're better than us simply because they like vaginas, and we like penises...They've killed, tortured, and beaten a lot of us simply for not being like them...I don't believe in the Gay-straight alliance, I prefer a LGBT rights group that involves people who are actually LGBT, not straight boys who go around saying:

"Hey look, I'm pro-Gay! I'm a good straight boy because of it! Gays love me! But I'm not Gay, I love pussy! I just support Gays!"

And a lot of them are celebrities who want to get a good reputation for their own benefit...So yes, I dislike straight boys...Sorry, really I am...

19. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    As usual, people use their bad experience with certain members of a demographic and turn it into a negative generalization of the entire demographic.

Most homophobic people I've met have been straight men. I post on a political site where anti-gay posts come up all the time. 9 times out of 10, the anti-gay posts are posted by middle-aged straight men. But that doesn't mean that most straight men are homophobes and it isn't fair to judge a whole huge demographic by the few bad experiences we've had with members of that group.

20. Formality

Well I don't hate anyone solely based on sexuality or gender and though there might be a connection between sexuality and opinion I think it goes way deeper than that rendering sex etc. irrelevant.

I personally like to hate people based on their actions rather. Just generally though I can't say I think gender roles are of any use and I think the way sex is portrayed by society is very limiting.

I'm somewhat petrified by few of the posts in this thread. I find that a lot of arguments are unfounded or just plain ridiculous. Some are outright scary leaving me less hopeful about what the outcome of LGBTS issues will be.

#20 Formality, Apr 6, 2015