1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling to Russia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by medic, Apr 6, 2015.

1. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey!

This is a strange one. I live in the UK and my parents are considering a holiday to Russia (specifically St. Petersburg) in the Summer. I've got the option of going. I love to travel and I'd be excited to go. Russia is an incredible place. However, obviously the anti-gay laws are worrying me a bit. I don't think I'd be unsafe. I know some tourists were arrested in the past for talking about gay rights but I don't mind too much being quiet about this stuff for a few days (I tend not to around family anyway!) I kind of hate the fact I'll have to be careful though. I guess I'll have to delete apps and messages on my phone unless they're checked and probably use a VPN for messages.

Apart from safety, I'm a little more worried about the ethics of travelling there. I'd potentially be transferring money into a country I should be boycotting? At the same time I'm not sure they idea of boycotting a whole country is especially useful. It's a country full of a huge number of people and I wouldn't judge them all on their draconian government. Maybe there's more benefit to finding out what it's like there than avoiding it entirely.

Am I over thinking this!? I love that it was only recently I talked them out of going to Uganda. That's a step too far for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The problem is I (and my parents) kind of enjoy going to politically interesting places. We've been to Israel in the past and almost went to North Korea.

Would love some opinions!

#1 medic, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. Minnie

Well, there are a lot of LGBT+ people in Russia, so it's not like it's a 100% homophobic country. That said some of your money is likely to go to the government.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd stay home and would not think about a second that I should enter such a country.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I wouldn't go.

5. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What the hell at these comments..

Nothing is going to happen to you in Russia. Unless you go around waving a rainbow flag...Deleting apps and messages is very unreasonable and paranoid.

St Petersburg is a great place and you should be thankful you have a chance to go.

6. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go. Most of your money won't go to the government, but to businesses and individuals, I believe. Your money won't really make a difference anyway. Don't let the government stop you from enjoying Russia. I think it could be a great experience.

[​IMG]

ETA: If one avoids every single country with a faulty government, there aren't many countries one can visit.

#6 Phalange, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would never set foot in a country where I am forced to waive my rights to express myself. Even though I am a private person most of time I rather stay home than get killed or be arrested. Sorry!

8. absvrdity

absvrdity Guest

I can understand people's worries. Media paints Russia as a horrible place for LGBT people. However, I agree with you. St. Petersburg is gorgeous and that medic should be thankful to be able to go.

To medic: GO! This may be your only chance :slight_smile:

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I visited the Soviet Union in Dec/Jan of 1984/5 (with my parents, even)...even went to Leningrad (your St. Petersburg). I am *so* glad I went then, because there's no way in hell I'd go now!

Then:
    I knew I was bisexual, but didn't have a partner of either sex.
    It was before their government was even *talking* about LGBT issues.
    In general, the world outside my immediate family was pretty anti-LGBT.

Now:
    I've been with a female partner for 28 years.
    Much of the civilized world has adopted a pretty tolerant stance toward LGBT issues.
    The Russian government has been unapologetically oppressive toward LGBT issues.

As I see it, this could be an opportunity for you to go, if you want such an opportunity. Your parents are already funneling money to the country...your bit of extra wouldn't be a significant increase.
    I assume you either don't have a partner, or if you do, you would not be taking him.
    Bigoted as the government is, it's always worth experiencing another culture...and that one has some pretty damned amazing sights, culture, etc.

When you get home, boycott it for the rest of your life. Just some things to consider.

10. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds interesting.

I agree with you about not going to Uganda, etc, but in Russia homosexuality is not illegal as such. Russia is probably a bit more homophobic recently, since advance of gay rights internationally is seen as a 'Western thing'- but it probably is not that much more homophobic than other Eastern European countries: I grew up in Poland, so I am a bit familiar with that. Poland is much safer for gay people, but still pretty hostile.

Russia is corrupt and a bit dangerous, but if you stick to the safer routes, you should be ok- the safety issue has more to do with general corruption and inefficiency.

It is also advisable that if you can, you have somebody who is a local to guide you through- my ex-flatmate who was Russian told me stories of being charged 10 times more in a taxi as a "Western tourist" (carrying a friend with her), than when she spoke Russian.

I wouldn't worry about the ethics that much, unless you are planning to spend lots of money there: most of the money you will spend probably will never find its way to the tax man anyway. Personally I think that the West is being incredibly hypocritical about Russia- they shout that it is homophobic (where being gay in private is legal), and want to put sanctions against it, but nobody really does the same in relation to UAE or Nigeria or Saudi Arabia (where it is not legal, and it is punishable)- and the UK benefits financially a lot from making arms deals with countries where being gay is punishable.

I am not trying to excuse Russia, but I think spending money anywhere, even in the UK is not unproblematic- a lot of UK businesses are partially Saudi owned, etc. It is problematic everywhere when it comes to not wanting to support anti-gay businesses.

I think deleting apps, etc is advisable.

My guess would be that homophobic actions are perpetuated in macho/military context/ less educated areas, whilst more middle class people will be nice, even if they suspect that somebody is gay, as long as that person 'keeps it private': "acts straight".

Russian people can be lovely, they have a great culture.
    I'd take the trip- share some pictures if you decide to go :slight_smile:

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's only one Hermitage, only one Peterhof and only one Mariinsky Theatre. If you want to experience these treasures of Russia's heritage, then see them. You don't need to think of it as a political act. My parents actually cancelled a holiday to Russia that I was supposed to go on at the end of last year. I really regret it, because I'm not sure if I'll ever end up seeing Russia.

Not everything Russian is related to their homophobic policies, but you should be aware of where your money's going, as you should when consuming domestically, anyway.

12. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting to see the differences in opinion here. A lot more polarised then I expected. I think I'll be going. It sounds cliché but I think there is some benefit to the cultural exchange. And as LooseMoose said, there are a lot of countries with dodgy human rights records (not to mention a dodgy war record of a lot of powerful western countries!) So I think as long as I consider it safe (I do), I should go.

13. Manitoban

I wouldn't go for a couple of reasons.

1) They have invaded Ukraine and are threatening NATO nations, in particular my own along with the eastern ones.

2) They have allegedly killed the only mainstream opposition leader.

3) They are trampling your rights.

You are one person yes. But a boycott of thousands of individuals starts with the individual.

That said I think St. Petersburg has huge amounts of history and beauty to be explored. So if you do go enjoy it.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it would be a very fascinating place. It has always seemed very exotic to me and also sort of scary. Yes, I'm showing my age. The first thing that comes to mind is how expensive it is and the second thing that comes to mind is the reputed corruption. I know one person who went to both Scandinavia (mostly Finland - I tend to forget if Finland is technically Scandinavia) and St. Petersburg ... and she was surprised that she actually liked it but mentioned how expensive Russia is. There are many places I'd rather see for the first time and again before going to Russia.

15. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're over thinking this. Just go and have fun. I would jump on an opportunity to go to Russia. Sounds like an awesome trip.

16. lemons123

I am not their biggest fan, frankly.

My country was "sold" to them...I mean they've tried to incorporate my country countless times and yet most people where I live are against it and see themselves very different from russia (we are).

It's cold, not too-LGBT friendly and they are usually "traditional" and orthodox. Really can't understand all those pro-russian westerners...

17. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's their culture. We, the tourists, should learn to adapt to them and not them adapting to us. Yes, homophobia is bad (VERY BAD) but I think if you should be perfectly safe if you dont walk around waving a rainbow flag (like what blueberrykisses said). Just my opinion.

#17 LakanLunti, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015