1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Louis Theroux's documentary on transgender kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LiquidSwords, Apr 7, 2015.

1. LiquidSwords

Thought there might be a fair few people here interested in Louis Theroux's most recent documentary on transgender kids.. it's pretty great tbh. It follows kids in San Francisco who are going through or considering going through gender reassignment and I think the documentary is done about as sensitively yet honestly as possible. I felt pretty emotional at times :cry:

So yeah, find it on iplayer if you're uk, or by any means you can if not .. worth it

What did anyone who has seen it think?

2. Scottmcdonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I've watched all his documentaries on Netflix, I am a massive fan of his! He has such a fantastic rapport with people, non judgemental, very neutral and I love when he says "How do you do, I'm Louis".

On the actual documentary itself, it was great to see that a respected journalist could report on that particular subject without having an opinion or being judgemental, he reported what people were going through and that was that. I thought Camille was just so cute and credit to the parents throughout all of it because there are many parents out there who wouldn't even be willing to help their child when they feel that way.

What was it he said at the end.... "Our biggest right as people is the right to be ourselves". Just a real eye opener and certainly made me feel better about questioning who I am :slight_smile:

I find him strangely hot actually :O :slight_smile:

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I thought it was very good. I've seen a couple of his documentaries before, he comes across very impartial and respectful. I felt like it portrayed a lot of trans issues very well, and I particularly liked that it gave some focus to dysphoria, which to me is a very important part of being trans that often gets ignored in mainstream narratives.

4. Maeve

I think Louis Theroux is a very open-minded, accepting person. I've seen several of his documentaries, and he's always incredibly respectful and kind.

I love that Camille's parents had a framed picture of the exploding TARDIS painting in their house. They're my kind of people.

5. Noel Luca

I watched that documentary with my parents and it convinced my mum to consider getting me a binder.

6. LiquidSwords

That's excellent :slight_smile:

Showing this to sceptical parents is actually a really good idea

7. yoonicorn

I thought it was very well done, and you could tell he was learning throughout the episode. To be honest, though, I think it should have been a two part series or something as sometimes it touched on things quite briefly and left people confused. Also, I just wanted to see more of it. It was great. ^^

8. 741852963

I actually thought he came across as a bit rude in this one. I think its because his usual tactics of asking very leading questions and playing dumb/acting naive (which work great normally) clashed with this being such a sensitive subject. Whilst I don't believe for one second that he is a rude or judgmental person, how he phrased some of the questions, particularly to the kids and to Camille(?) sounded quite judgmental. I found it quite uncomfortable to watch at times.

Another thing was I found it a little concerning how the parents and psychs were often outspokenly labelling the very young children as "trans" when at that age I think its impossible to really tell 100% The child may indeed be trans, genderqueer, bigender, gender-nonconforming, or even simply going through a phase of rebellion for whatever reason. You can get young girls who express disgust at anything "girly" and "just want to be boys" - they might be trans, they might just be what society deems a "tomboy", in the absence of non-subjective tests only time is the way to truly tell for sure.

Still though, a good documentary all in all.

9. wolf of fire

I saw it and I thought it was great, I've seen two of his other ones.

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need to catch up on this. I like his documentaries too, and obviously being a Mod here means I have an interest in the subject matter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. MojoDojo

I saw it. The nephew of one of my friends makes an appearance in there, and this friend knows of my situation so just *had* to share it with me.

I liked it, personally. It's great that the children and the parents have such great resources available to them, and transitioning while still a kid is still considered a really *new* thing.

12. LiquidSwords

I didn't think he sounded rude at all :confused:

Well, calling someone trans who isn't is hardly dangerous is it? The danger would be if someone transitioned before realising they'd made a mistake about their gender identity. But as the documentary said, this is balanced against the danger of not transitioning which leaves people in a body they resent. I think there a lot of people here on EC pre puberty who are pretty certain of their gender identity..

Just imagine I was transgender and I was made to wait until after puberty before I could transition.. I would never pass for a girl. I'd be pretty angry that I wasn't allowed to transition earlier because people around me were sceptical about my identity