1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

perception is everything so change your perspective cuz it perplexes me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Apr 8, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do people see you one way, then another. My friends always make me seem like the normal
    One in our group. Here's an example.

Me: "do you wanna build a snowman " *singing annoyingly on purpose*

Friend: " do Ya wanna get shived with a roll of quarters... it'll be fun" *serious*

But in all honesty ,with all my friends, I give them different traits of my personality because they have different personalities as well. So I give them a personality that they can work with, ya know? It's like if I have someone who's new I'm really formal with them because they're scared, or if it's someone who takes charge all the time I'll become more supportive and more kind, if it's someone who is my exact opposite... tsundere anyone?? (≧▽≦)/~┴┴(≧▽≦)/~┴┴(≧▽≦)/~┴┴.

2. LiquidSwords

[YOUTUBE]2-WPlvZguZ4[/YOUTUBE]

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

They're saying, they put a heavier emphasis on particular aspects of their personality, depending on who they are around. Basically, they do this, to have a sort of back and forth exchange, which allows the conversation and situation to pass, more fluidly and easily.

The question is either asking, do you show certain aspects of your personality more so to certain people, or do you feel like you have to downplay certain aspects of your personality more so to certain people?

You'd probably act different with your parents as opposed to your friends, for example, even though you're still you.

In a nutshell, the OP is wanting to know, how do you act and respond to people in general, and perhaps anybody else, if it is in an influential or situational manner.

4. Jellal

Well usually I am completely silent and mute with people I don't know. Sometimes when I think about how often it happens to me, I feel I might have some kind of anxiety condition. I really have to consciously make an effort to force myself out of that defensive, reserved state.

But I've been able to do it, by some miracle. I've done it a few times and I've made some truly great friends who I can be talkative with. Around my friends, I tend to blab a lot, sometimes about complete and total bullshit just because I enjoy seeing their reactions.

Among my friend groups I have two kinds of behaviors. With one, the friends I met at college, I tend to tone down my raunchier, meaner, more sociopathic humor and I tend to make more of an effort to be "inoffensive." With my old high school friends, I have no such filter. I think it's because when I first met my high school friends they were pretty used to me as a cynic who hated most of the people I knew, and was kinda dissatisfied in general. That persona bred a style of humor that still makes the lot of us laugh to this day though, so I can't say it's all bad. But it's a kind of humor that I can turn on and off at will for the most part, there have been times when it slipped out with my college friends and they were pretty taken aback by how rude and blunt I could be. I didn't much fancy their reactions and thus I have a dual social persona among the people I call my friends.

5. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awwwe, thanks guys. All of your comments were really interesting and awesome jellal, I think you and me,are very similar when it comes to friends and strangers. ╭(′▽‵)╭(′▽‵)╭(′▽‵)╯ GO!╭(′▽‵)╭(′▽‵)╭(′▽‵)╯ GO! Have wonderful afternoon

6. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think our personality is just that ours in the core however I think depending on who we are around other people will drag pieces of your personality others don't get to see. You feed off of others to help with certain aspects of who we are, if that makes any sense. If not I know what I mean LOL
    For instance you can have a silly friend and you will show your silly side...etc.

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I think they very much do. Around a couple of friends I'm (justifiably) seen as this very eccentric and off-the-wall conversationalist, with one of my old friends I'm somewhat more "laddish" than usual, while with others still I'm more restrained, quiet, inoffensive and/or intellectual.

I saw a post here (forgot who it was by) that was saying that when it comes to behaving differently around different people, there's no such thing really as "masks" that you wear around people, they just draw out different aspects of you. And I sort of feel that way with my friends. My behaviour can be radically different between different groups, but not much of it is really inauthentic- the varying dynamics we have are really just an interaction between their personalities and certain facets of mine. It's like they all represent different varieties of me!

8. luminescence

I'm a lot more quiet and reserved when I'm at school, but with my friends, I somehow seem like a completely different person. Also the funny thing is that when I'm a school, I absolutely dread talking with other people, and even teachers, but outside I can talk with anyone really.
    So whenever I talk with anyone from my school, I have to try really hard to seem confident since I'm deathly afraid of them for some reason.