1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supporting discrimination against your own minority group.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quiet Raven, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Quiet Raven

I was on another forum site talking about the law that was passed in Indiana. The one that allows businesses to refuse service to LGBT people. There were people on both sides, for and against this law. But what surprised me is one of the people supporting it was bisexual, herself. She even said she has no problem with being denied service because of her orientation.

I never thought I would see someone who supports discrimination against their own minority group... Have you heard of anyone like this?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I've never heard of this...almost sounds like she has internalized biphobia or something.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I heard of people like this and it is a twisted way of thinking. I mean yeah you can say business owners should have the right to refuse service and be completely okay it until it happens to you and it sucks. Imagine innocently coming into a restaurant with your partner and being kicked out. That would be embarrassing for all involved and than you might change your mind about laws like that. It is sad though that some people think they are gonna go to hell for giving services to others. Like I don't think God is gonna cast you to hell for running a business that gives services to all people. Not that I think being gay is a sin anyway.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that kind of seems a bit messed up in the way she thinks. she might be undermining herself a lot more then you might think. could be depression related, who knows, it's not that uncommon. i don't really support the decision either, it's illogical in a lot of ways, and scary to think that 19 other states have something along the same lines as that bill.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is kind of what I was talking about with the "Uncle Tom". I understand believing that religious groups or businesses shouldn't be forced to cater to LGBT people, but supporting discrimination or claiming to not mind it seems overly subservient and harmful to LGBT causes.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting.

7. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uuuuum.... anywho, I'm for the law. I think PRIVATE businesses should be allowed to discriminate for whatever reason, whether it be against race, religions, sexual orientation, gender, etc. Maximizing personal liberties! :slight_smile: (note that I personally wouldn't discriminate, and yes, it would be unfortunate if I was discriminated against buuuuuut I'm not going to force my presence upon others.)

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I respect that perspective. I though the same but at the same time would I say that after it could happen to me. I mean it would suck and completely change my perspective on it because no wants to be discriminated against and if we as society starting using discrimination as a good thing than it is the end of civilization as we know it in my opinion.

9. CyclingFan

But we have these laws precisely because we cannot expect people to do the right thing enoigh of the time without imposing a sanction.

10. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Welllllll, I'm certainly going to force my presence on them, meow :3
    And how could they know of my orientation anyway? I am not a fan of PDA, unless it's a small town and somehow every one knows and they deny me services even before I step across the threshold then we have a problem. My mum makes a scene for even lesser offence and her anger works effectively :grin:

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm so glad I'm in a state that has gay protection laws now -.-;;

12. LiquidSwords

Your liberty to access services that any other social group can is less important than the liberty of the homophobe to deny you that service? The liberty of the black man wanting to eat at a certain restaurant is less important than the liberty of the restaurant owner to refuse him?

It's a bizarre concept of liberty, you're mental

13. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why should anybody HAVE to allow you the privilege of entering their establishment and receiving their service? Individual property rights. If it's theirs, you have no entitlement to it. It's reality. Your view of liberty takes away from individuals' choices in life. That to me is skew, considering we are fighting for the choice to live our lives the way we want (expressing ourselves as we please) and yet, your view limits the decisions of business owners and they are unable to live as they want.

14. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree. If it's a private business, the owner doesn't need to justify any discrimination, just like you're not forced to accept anyone in your house if you don't want to. This could include discrimination against the LGBT community, but also against skinny or fat people, jews or nazis, Katy Perry or Beyoncé fans etc.

Besides, forcing your way into a place where you know you're not welcome is just stupid, because you'll most likely be badly served.

15. Incognito10

I am not a political expert or anything, but I think even for-profit, private businesses are auhorized to operate by the government and file taxes as such; so whe you go into business, you're not as "private" as some may like to believe--you're going into the marketplace to serve the people. Essentially, it would be counter productive to the economy, social welfare and overall market place to say, "we're open for business" when you're not really open for business.

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Likewise, you don't have to justify boycotting a place like that, posting a 1-star Yelp review, and telling other people not to shop there. You can let the market take care of places like that. Besides, it might cause other businesses to speak out in support of LGBT rights.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not really surprised. I used to know some people who were gay and against gay marriage because they saw it as unnatural. I asked them why they thought of themselves as unnatural, and then they said that I was the weird one for thinking that it is.

It's sad how homophobic people can be toward themselves.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people just assume if they have another option, it's okay for discrimination to continue. The problem with that logic is that you are implying such discrimination is valid. One corollary example is the US civil rights era where black people deliberately went to racially segregated lunch counters to get food (they previously could buy food, but they weren't allowed to sit inside).

19. Jellal

From my perspective I can understand where she's coming from. I'm the sort that likes to play devil's advocate and look at the unpopular opinion, just to see what valid reasons people would have for championing what would at first glance seem to be entirely unreasonable claims.

And I'm not saying her claim isn't unreasonable. But the truth may simply be that she values a business owner's right to deny service to anyone if it went against their personal religious convictions—and she values that right more than her right to get service from that owner, even if it means she will shop elsewhere.

One of her beliefs is simply stronger than the other. I think each and every one of us is more than the minority group we belong to, and sometimes one of our convictions outweighs the other, for personal ... and sometimes, yes, fucked-up "reasons."

20. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You are right :slight_smile:
    That's one good thing of capitalism, it doesn't matter who you are as long as the money's coming through.
    All I'm saying is that the government shouldn't force private business to service a group they do not want to, even though they're most likely losing a lot of potential customers.