1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Homosexuality Is A Choice"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

Now, I think everyone here knows personally that this isn't true, but I was arguing with two people who were for Indiana's discrimination law, and used an argument from ignorance fallacy to prove their point. They said that the evidence I shoeed them about Epigenetics and homosexuality was not concrete and didn't show that it was developed before birth. One person constantly called it a deviancy and a personal preference, and that business owners should be able to discriminate because of this. Is there any other evidence thst refutes this statement?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Even if it were true, Religion is also a personal choice and I don't see Christians going on about how wrong their choice is (or how okay it is for atheists to discriminate against them for making the incorrect one).

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly these kind of christians to me are not real christians. Anybody religious or not who tries to use discrimination as a positive thing will not get very far in this world. Discrimination is never a good thing period end of sentence. The problem with these kind of christians they basically believe they are the only kind of christians out there and the rest are non believers. What we need badly in this society is more loud pro-gay christians to shoot back these unchristian ideals people have and say that is not the christian way because it is not.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with Fallingdown. If homosexuality was a choice, it wouldn't matter, and does not excuse bigotry.

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was born Gay, enough said...

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest for many who grow in christian family it does matter whether being gay is a choice or not. Many people get disowned for that simple reason so fighting that argument is very important especially if you grow up in a super homophobic family. Saying "it does not matter if is a choice or not it does not excuse your bigotry" while you mean well it does not help many of those situations people are in. I rather say i was born this way so stop being bigot about they way God made me. That is a better way to put it.

7. Aquilo

Being Gay Not a Choice: Science Contradicts Ben Carson

Besides that I see two problematic points which are often wrongly used by crazy deluded 'homosexuality is a choice' people:

1) I suspect homosexuality may not be present yet by birth.
    2) Homosexuality may be determined by 'environmental' factors.

For point one: Just that something isn't yet present at birth doesn't mean that a characteristic isn't inherent and almost unchangeable. See breast development in teen females.

For point two: People often think about nature/nurture when they hear things may not be caused for 100% by genes or epigenetics and say dumb stuff like 'it may be caused by the upbringing'.

However (human) development is a complicated thing, not simple Nurture/nature, depending on things like small differences in the concentration of signalling molecules in a single cell. Lots of things can go into different ways just because of a minor difference in starting conditions.

So these can cause differences in development:
    -Genes
    -Epigenetics
    -Random chance
    -Environmental factors
    and tiny differences in starting conditions can give major differences as a result. And brains, which cause sexuality are one of the most complicated things of all.

Environmental factors can be stuff like anything your parents ate, hormonal levels etc.

Anyone doubting that something not caused by genes has to be caused by upbringing/is a choice should really only need one example: Twin have different fingerprints even though they have the same DNA. Not caused by upbringing! Not a choice! Just caused by environmental factors/random chance.

PS. I'm fine with people calling it 'being born this way', since most people aren't educated about developmental biology and it's highly likely to be inherent to a person.

#7 Aquilo, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the credible evidence is circumstantial, unfortunately. Nevertheless, it was de-classified as a mental disorder by the American Psychological Association (APA) in 1973 because it is not associated with any recognized pathologies. The following was obtained from

Homosexuality and Mental Health

Homosexuality is as old as humanity itself, it arises independent of race, geographical location, nationality or any other human characteristic, it has been everywhere and always. The only difference is in how it was either accepted, ignored, or persecuted by the societies it came from.

9. randomly me

randomly me Guest

You could say acting on it is a choice.
    However most straight people wouldn't want to have no sex in their whole life either.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    People seem to think that if it wasn't pre-determined at birth then you must've chosen it, but I don't understand this line of thinking. Who says environmental factors couldn't have contributed to it? Was I born to not like mushrooms? I don't think so. Did I choose to not like them? No. I kinda wish I did like them since they're in some foods I like. But I just don't like them. Preferences aren't choices but they aren't necessarily determined at birth either.

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Another thing I don't understand is the logic behind this discrimination law IF It's for religious reasons:

In that case there should also be no service for:
    - People who have cheated on their partners
    - People who have premarital sex
    - People who have been divorced
    - Straight people who use birth control
    - Atheists

And all the other sins out there...

12. randomly me

randomly me Guest

"don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you do"

I should probably look up where things are from before quoting them...

13. Aquilo

Most straight people wouldn't want to have no love in their whole life either.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! Discrimination should never be used as something positive especially many that are religious are now for gay rights a fact Republicans choose to ignore. I would love to see republicans explain how someone can be pro-gay and christian.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2015 at 02:01 PM ----------

If everyone say each other as sinners the world would a better place at least I think.

15. brocub

My dick can't get hard for women. That isn't a choice. Trust me, I've tried :lol:

16. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Discrimination is horrible and your orientation is not a choice.

17. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    My current avatar sums up fairly well my reaction when someone says this.

<----------

18. ZenMusic

He also compared gay people to alcoholics and people who like beer.

19. ccdd

ccdd Guest

1. It doesn't matter whether or not it's a choice. Consenting adults are not harming anyone, and this is the only criterion which matters. Unless you are living in a theocracy where ONE interpretation of religion determines the (lack of) civil rights for everyone else, what a religion says is also irrelevant when determining rights.

2. People don't choose their environment and upbringing just as they don't choose their genes.

3. WHY would anyone choose to be gay when there is so much discrimation??!! If it was a choice, it would make NO sense for people to lose everything - such as when they are disowned by their families or made homeless - rather than to 'choose' to be straight.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The pews would be totally empty then.