1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vesalius, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is a question for all my American cousins out there. I understand there are differences between us. We play manly rugby whereas you fanny about in protective armour calling it Football. We fancy a good cup of tea while you are more pertinent coffee drinkers. I embrace these differences, that's what makes our individual countries so great.

However, there is one small thing that really winds me up. One question I just need someone to explain to me ...

The phrase "could care less." :bang:

In the UK we couldn't care less. This means that we couldn't give a damn. We physically could not care any less about someone's silly little life and problems.

Yet in America you "could care less". That means you do still care a bit, right?

So please America, I emplore you. For the sake of our continued relationship over the pond, explain this one thing to me. Put me out of my misery! (*hug*):eusa_danc

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've always wondered about that too :

The irony is that you know someone is going to reply with "I don't know and I honestly could care less"

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not an American and I much prefer tea, but here is an explanation:

Word Fact: I Couldn't Care Less

Basically, because it's an idiom it's exempt from logic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I always use "couldn't care less", because I like making sense when I talk to people.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I believe most people say "could care less", because they aren't thinking when they say it.

However, saying you could care less, implies, not only you really not caring a lot, but that you could flat out hate something, if you so wanted. It's actually more cruel like this than not caring at all, because to care and then intentionally not care is putting salt in the wound.

Think of it like this:

If, say, somebody hates you from the beginning, it can suck, but it isn't as bad as somebody caring about you, suddenly, hating you. There's more of an impact in the latter way, but... again, I believe most people who say "could care less" do that, because they aren't thinking.

5. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you could care less though, it could also mean that you care a lot. There is no scale as to how much less caring there is for you to do?

http://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw

This illustrates it rather well.

#5 Vesalius, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. Manitoban

Well as a proud resident of the Americas (continents)
    I notice we typically say "couldn't care less."(sorry I couldn't help it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

In all seriousness i'm not from the country you're likely referring to but I've never noticed this before. I do believe most people at least in this region of Canada say "couldn't care less."

It's always interesting to me how our speech is a strange mix of American and British styles here.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you want to get literal, sure. But how many people, when they say "I could care less" really mean, 'I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY care, I just don't REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY care'?

They lean more towards the lesser side.

8. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know them, I don't know their lives :wink:

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I could care less if you know them! :wink:

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've got it wrong. This isn't an American thing. This is a stupid person thing.

And I embrace the difference between "American" and "stupid person" in much the same way as you embrace the differences between "American" and "English". That is to say, the differences are few, but significant...and more in some people than in others.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some very big differences between rugby and football. Granted rugby is what football evolved from, they are fundamentally different. Personally I enjoy both, however I'll never understand how you can enjoy what's properly called soccer.

12. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't understand how people enjoy Football (soccer) either, it's so boring. I don't understand American Football either though, there is too much stopping and standing around for me.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use "couldn't care less". I don't really think it's an American thing either, it's more a thing of people not thinking when they speak.

14. tscott

Much ado about nothing. Whether or not I use the expression "I couldn't care less" or "I could care less" I'm dismissing any interest in the subject regardless of what it is. To me, they both imply that something is unworthy of my notice or something contemptible. There are no subtle shadings, no degrees of caring.

I played intermural rugby and prefer it over American football, by the way. It is a subject for which I have an abiding interest. :icon_wink

15. MyFlowerKing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    wait what? I live in the states and I've never known of people saying that (at least where I live) I know people around where I live say couldn't care less if they say it like that. People have gotten more blunt and just outright say "I don't care", at least to my knowledge.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who say "could care less" mean "couldn't care less" but are saying it wrong. We all understand what they mean, and it's common enough not that we couldn't care less if people say it wrong.

17. LiquidSwords

Apart from being contact sports played with similar shaped balls they are fundamentally different as you say. They each have their merits but really there's no point comparing them. Saying that I've never actually managed to sit through a whole American football game why is the pace of it so sloww

18. AlamoCity

It seems to be in the same realm of "flammable" and "inflammable." :lol:

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To much too ask two use proper grammar.

20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    True. Grammatically it may be incorrect, but semantically, we understand it.

I don't think it has to do with region either. "Could care less" is just as wrong in America as it is in the UK.