1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siblings Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tai, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apparently it's National Siblings Day for Americans. Happy Siblings Day!

It made me think about what it would be like for me if I had any. I was adopted and my parents decided they didn't want any more kids besides just me. Growing up, I've realized that I've been lonely without any, and sometimes people take their siblings for granted. Sure, being an only child has its perks, but so does having siblings. And I don't think the only-child-perks last for long term. I believe I wouldn't be so withdrawn, shy, or antisocial if I had had siblings. This part of my life that retreats from social interaction (offline) is a large obstacle and I'd say it's for the worse...

Do you guys have siblings? Are they (hopefully) on good terms with you?

(Sorry if there was already a thread for this, I didn't see one.)

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I have one younger brother. Can't say I have any sentimental attachment to him though.

3. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have three brothers and I'm still shy and antisocial. But I couldn't imagine my life without them. There interests and perspectives have enriched my life even though at times they can be very frustrating.

We get along (mostly) but I found our relationships have improved somewhat when we all left home, because some space is needed for us to get along.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one sister and we've always been very close. We live together and we understand each other very well.

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have an older brother, I hate him...

6. Hiems

3 older brothers, 2 older sisters. My oldest sibling is my sister who is 40 something years old. To this day, I still have no idea how my parents managed to raise us all, yet not become insane...

I am on good terms with all of them, but I am closest to my older brother closest to my age (he's 22). We shared/still share everything. I think we were in the same baby crib as infants for instance. We shared a room for like six or seven years. And even now, when we buy drinks at a restaurant, to save money, we just buy one and share it, LOL. We're pretty much partners in crime I'd say.

My 2nd older brother, who was ~12 years old at the time while we were toddlers, would hold each of us in his arms as he played video games. That memory always made me laugh :lol: No wonder why I like video games so much :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey this off topic but your signature is really offensive to those who are christians and if I were you I'd take it off please. You may have your beliefs but that signature is really offensive.

8. ouji

ouji Guest

I have got one older sister, and one older brother.

9. MojoDojo

I have an older brother. I love him dearly, and am and have always been super close.

Although coming out to him freaked him out. He hates it when I'm in pain, or upset, or going through things. This was the guy who was crying upset when I had to go in for surgery when I cut a tendon in my hand, who stayed up with me at the hospital until 4am when he had a final exam the next morning (which he subsequently bombed). Super protective and caring. <3

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have any siblings so I'll never be an uncle and I'll never have any nieces or nephews. :slight_smile:

#10 Andrew99, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Aw that's lovely, you are so fortunate :slight_smile:

12. Jonathan

So, my siblings. I have:

-one full brother
    -one half brother
    -one step brother
    -four step sisters
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would say that I'm closest with my full brother (he's five years older) and my half brother (he's eight years younger).

13. Notlad

I have to thank my siblings for supporting me when I came out to them.

I actually came out to my younger brother earlier this week. Now I just have the parents.

All in all, I have an older sister, an older brother, and a younger brother.

4 of us in total. Wouldn't trade them.

14. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I love my two older sisters and I've always been very close to them. They've been really supportive of me and the fact that I'm LGBT :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

My oldest sister is already with a guy she might marry--it's weird to think I could become an uncle at this age -_-

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm actually kind of glad bc I don't really like little children. I feel kinda bad bc my mom wants grandkids but I don't see myself having children.

16. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a brother who's 3-and-a-half years younger than me. We are very close and our parents say we "get on like a house on fire". He's autistic so sometimes he gets angry with me apparently for no reason so I have to retreat a bit, but mostly he seems to admire me and wants to be like me, so often develops similar interests to me.

Does anyone know if the UK has a siblings day?

17. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I have an older brother and I'm gonna be an uncle.
    Can't say I'm excited about being an uncle though.
    I get along with my brother just fine, and I don't mind giving him to his wife :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    And like most big brothers, he can get preachy, annoying as hell :dry:

18. Acm

Acm Guest

I have an older brother. We get along pretty well.

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister is 9 years older than me, so I could have been an uncle before I was 10, if she was stupid and fell pregnant when she was a teenager. Still not as weird as people having uncles younger than them.

Anyway, considering the relatively large age gap between me and my sister, we were never really 'friends' as many siblings are. She was more of a semi-parental figure - well, when I was a kid. She used to take me to the cinema, bowling, and I would sometimes spend the night with her and her boyfriend.

We're not as close now, but we look out for each other, and stick up for each other. My mother sometimes complains that she acts irresponsibly, goes out drinking too often, is too skinny, blah blah blah, so I usually come to her defence.

She lives 100 miles away right now so I don't see her that often, except when she facetimes my mother, or visits for a day or two (maybe once a month, or once every 2 months).

#19 imnotreallysure, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  20. Lyana

My brother is four years older than me and in many ways, for us, it was the perfect age gap. He was the cool older brother, I was the precocious loner sister who liked his friends. We were never very close - I've always been quite private and used to keep him out of my room -- but we never fought either, and we love each other and occasionally make efforts to hang out together despite not living very close to each other.
    Also commiserating over how irritating our (loving, brilliant, amazing, selfless) mother could be brought us closer. She favors me, and I used to worry he might resent me, but it was never a problem.

He's really cool.