1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating multiple people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by method, Apr 10, 2015.

1. method

I'm not talking about when you are in a committed relationship, but more like when you've only just entered the dating world.

Would you do it? Have you done it? After how many dates would you make a relationship exclusive?

2. Hiems

I personally wouldn't date multiple people. I would probably date one person at a time, and if it doesn't work out in the first few dates, then I'd move on and find someone else.

I can't give a magic number of dates that would warrant making the relationship exclusive. I'd imagine dating would last at least for a few months though.

3. Jonathan

I've done it before. Like you said, at that point you're not in a committed relationship with anyone. I see no harm in going out with different people if it's clear to the people you are going out with that you are not actually "dating". As for how many dates it would take before making it exclusive, that's not a static number. Rather, it's all dependent on the person and circumstances. There should always be a discussion about a relationship becoming exclusive so that both people involved know where they stand. It would be horrible if one person thought they were mutually exclusive just be they went on [insert number here] dates while the other person still thinks they are just going out. That would probably lead to someone getting hurt. People need to be open and upfront with each other when it comes to these things.

4. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How do you date multiple people!? I can't even find one person to want to date me!? :wink:

5. method

I speak only in hypothetical terms - I've never been on a date myself yet :wink:

I was just wondering, let's say I sparked really good conversation with two guys online on the same day and it continues for a week or so. Then with both guys I decided to meet in person. Then is pattern continues for a few weeks. Now I'm in a multiple dating dilemma scenario. :eusa_doh:

6. Jonathan

That's perfectly fine as long as you are upfront with all of those individuals that you are not mutually exclusive at this point. Then, should you agree to become mutually exclusive with someone, you need be honest with the other guys about it.

7. method

That makes sense. I guess in that scenario someone will be hurt, but it would be more unkind to lead anyone on.

8. Jonathan

But people are going to be hurt regardless of which approach you take. Wouldn't someone be hurt if you told them that they don't even deserve a chance with you because you've gone out with someone else a few times?

The way that I see it, dating multiple people at least gives more individuals a chance to see if they click with each other.

9. antibinary

I couldn't cope with managing all the communication unless it was three people all dating each other but if that's your boat: good for you.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dated around when I was single. I was always upfront about it. Dating isn't a "relationship." It's getting out there and meeting people, having a good time and maybe eventually finding something more. I never really understood the whole idea behind it not being appropriate to see more than one person. I was always sort of like--we're going bowling not picking out china patterns.

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently dating someone, a guy, who also happens to be my coworker (totally unexpectedly & a terrible idea, I know) and I am talking to two other people (women.) He knows about the other women, but the women have no idea about him.

The only reason why I haven't mentioned the guy is because I thought I was ready to date women again, but I'm not. I've decided to take baby steps this time around. Not only that, one of the girls isn't out to her family which bothers me.

#11 pinklov3ly, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  12. Nova Ves

Personally, I wouldn't ever date more than one person at a time, but I think I have a propensity to see things more seriously than other people might. Even dating for me is something which I would pretty much not do unless I knew I was already into them; otherwise, I have better things to do with my time.

My dad used to tell me stories about how he dated around and had multiple dating partners when I was little and I think that's part of what turned me off from the idea.

13. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried it. Trust me, it gets very complicated very quickly! It can be a nice ego boost, but if the other person finds out you are dating someone else at the same time, there is a very good chance you will lose both people. Not easy

14. AAASAS

I've "dated" as in been going out on dates with multiple people at the same time, as long as you aren't committed I don't see a problem with it. Just be honest with the other person, and you shouldn't feel guilty.

I was with a guy I was sort of in a relationship with but didn't wanna commit (he didn't want to), so I told him that I was going on dates with other people in the mean time. He still sent me messages; mainly booty calls, but he was totally cool with it, because I was honest with him at the time.

I think sleeping with someone then another person and not notifying the other person is a very horrendous thing to do. So if you are being sexually active, YOU MUST tell the other person, otherwise you are risking spreading disease, and that makes you a piece of shit.

15. mike87

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently I've got a friends with benefits thing going on with a top couple. They are both tops that love each other. I'm not sure if it will go anywhere though they have talked about having a live in. One came out to fb like 3-4 hrs after I did today. So that's pretty cool.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Whatever it is you're doing, just make it clear to whoever you do it with and you should be fine.

For the record I think a serious polygamous relationship could definitely work out as well as other forms of open relationships however it depends on lots of different factors, many of the same ones that determine the strength of traditional relationships in fact

*trust*
    *general comfort with your partner(s)*
    *communication*
    *loyalty/honesty*
    *friendship*
    *sexual attraction*

^ <- have all those things in your relationship and it'll be strong, no matter how many partners you have in it

17. tscott

As long as you're not in a committed relationship or one of your dates believes you're committed to one another (because it happens, and you shouldn't want to hurt anyone unnecessarily), I think it's okay to date more than one person. Be upfront about it, and let the other parties know that you're just dating. With so many polyamorous relationships this is where it becomes tricky, because there is a third person who may or may not know about you.

18. Verb

Don't think it's wrong as long as everyone is aware of the situation. I personally wouldn't, just because that sounds very tiring and potentially complicated.

19. ApexxShadow

Personally, polygamy isn't for me. I support it though, as long as it's all consensual. If a partner was interested in having multiple relationships, and had another partner, I'd be cool with that, as long as everyone had consent.

20. C P

C P

You mean like 'having backups', right?

I don't think I could do so then, because I'd be concerned about developing feelings for more than one of the dates...and that would just be a(nother) mess.