1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has political correctness gone too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Apr 11, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

If you don't already know, Clorox recently tweeted about the new emojis, saying, "Where's the bleach?" People went MAD over this. Thousands upon thousands of tweets accusing them of being hateful and racist to the point that the company actually issued a formal apology.

This is just ridiculous. I hate to sound like a conservative and say that the "PC police ruin everything," but when is enough enough?

2. SonicBoom

Yep..yep....

Way way too politically correct.

3. Im Hazel

If you accidentally offend someone you should apolagize. They didn't mean to be racist, but context made it so. It seems silly for people to assume a company would publicly say something as offensive as that, but to let it pass unchallanged would be worse.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of this.

5. BonnieJ2604

I notice that major political leaders (except the anti-gay) will not comment or give their opinion on homosexuality in fear of losing voters and popularity. This really bothers me, I wish my country was ran by more honest people

6. ProtegeMoi

So if Hershey's, Cadbury or Dove said "Where's the chocolate?" am I supposed to care?

7. lemons123

Since I've no idea what you're talking about....yes something is too far in this thread 0_0.

But seriously: Don't know really. My country isn't very "politically correct" but personally I don't support "political correctness", I support ONLY freedom of speech. The fact that people cannot say certain words is ridiculous, it is the epitome of censorship.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The usage of the term has certainly gone too far. I only ever see it being used by people when they want to sidestep the effort of developing a coherent argument or position, so instead place their thought inside this all-encompassing bubble of outrage. The problem with that approach, and the widespread usage of it, is the term has not only been rendered meaningless, but its application within discussions find it being used for contradictory purposes, thus discrediting its apparent existence and definition even further.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I agree with you. We're supposed to be getting more tolerant, yet people will jump on anyone who makes the slightest gaffe, has any preconceived notions, and relies on their personal experiences accumulated over the years to sort of scan situations.

I don't have any friends like this. Even friends who grew up in big cities and now live in either gayborhoods or LGBT meccas, such as resort type towns, say some of the sauciest things but I know that, deep down, they are just being clowns because their actions are so different from these things they may periodically say.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    That comment from Clorox wasn't meant to be racist. Like, at all.

This isn't even about being PC. It's about people not knowing how to comprehend what they read.

Euphemisms, weasel words, and circumlocutions are the wave of the future. Since it's become standard to dance around saying what you want to, I'm not exactly surprised people take offense at absolutely everything these days.

11. Formality

It was a joke, I don't like it when people take things to seriously. It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously so why are people so offended? I don't take offense to gay jokes. I do not care if a comedian makes a joke about some gay stereotype because it doesn't mean anything. Just pull the stick out of your ass.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. No matter how funny and inoffensive you were intending to be, there are only so many times I'm going to believe it was truly not meant to offend. If someone is offended by what you say and you keep going because you don't want to bow down to the horrible PC police, then you know what you're doing. In that, you're not raging against the machine, you're just being the dick who knowingly offends people with meaningless drivel and then acts as if it were some great and repressed truth.

Have the gall to be open about your beliefs. Don't hide behind the cowardly faux-defence of saying everyone else is just too sensitive.

13. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Political correctness is going crazy. People say things that they meant as an innocent joke and gets attacked by the PC police. It's like you can't say anything anymore.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sums it up nicely.

I also agree that the use of the term in order to dismiss serious discussion is the bigger problem.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More people should. I totally agree.

Look at how many times people here poke fun at LGBT stereotypes or talk about their own fit with these stereotypes in threads and it's handled maturely and quite well. I like self-deprecating humor as long as it's not too self-deprecating.

16. Foz

Foz Guest

Yes it has gone too far, in politics there are so many things that no one says are out of bounds but many treat avoiding them like the law of the land. Fortunately I believe in equality, so if I've not offended you yet, don't worry I will get round to you.

17. lol "has being sensitive to people's feelings gone too far??!?!" :icon_roll

18. C P

C P

Dear people who like to throw out PC as an insult nonstop:

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, sometimes it isn't that the other person is being too sensitive and that it's you who's being too insensitive and PiC?

This, especially the bold.

What I particularly find amusing about that is that, not too long ago even, a certain poster did exactly what you said there in a different thread; people asked for clarification of their point and all we got was 'PC people tire me...'(paraphrasing that).

Apparently it has.

This.

If you want to be a frickin' asswipe, own up to it instead of hiding behind the 'you're just too sensitive' crap. This goes back to what I said in the opening of this post.

#18 C P, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. If you're offended, sorry. I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you hear. So put on your big kid pants and handle it. :wink:

20. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People are to damn sensitive these days...If I joke about the Bible, or "God" at work, everyone starts busting my balls...