1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone here in the military?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Tyrael

I am interested in joining the British Army but there are a few things holding me back.

For a start my weight is currently out of control, I'd need to lose 4-5 stone or roughly 30Kg to meet the standards and I am not fit enough. Also I simply don't know what Army life is like and the thought of it scares me a bit. I am not your typical guys guy, I don't follow sports or anything and I am worried I wouldn't fit in. I didn't fit in at school so maybe it's just that which is on my mind.

You're probably thinking "why bother joining?" since I'm worried about it. Honestly I've thought over other options a lot. I'm stuck in a dead-end job right now and I'm dying of boredom. Every time I see an advertisement for the Army or go onto their website I just feel this urge to join and with so many different jobs available how could it not benefit me? And there's a part of me that's just patriotic, the more I read about ISIS the more I wish I could do something about it.

I know my family wouldn't approve so I really need to think this through and find out all I can. If anyone is in the military (US or British) any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. As well as anyone who just wants to discuss it. And I don't want all the good stuff, they show you plenty of that, I want bad as well please. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

2. jema

I am in the Canadian Forces. First and foremost, get fit. Start running, try to run 5km or 3 miles. Do push ups. Don't know how to properly do push up, google it. People don't care if you fit in in school or not. Military is not the same as school. Military will push you so hard and you will learn to love it.

Now for the good stuff, You get paid to be a badass, you'll be a licensed gunsman. You will learn so many new things the civilian life wouldn't be able to teach you. You will meet some of the greatest people during your time in the military and you will visit some many awesome places.

The bad stuff? Not everyone will agree with you. You will lose people. You are putting you life at risk to serve for your country. During the training, you will get treated like shit(but it's all for the best). But all in all, the experience is phenomenal. I personally have a hard time pointing out the bad stuff besides the obvious.

And for me, I was in the same position, dead-end job, didn't like what I did, and really wanted to challenge myself, and I have made that change, I have bettered my self and I love it.

If you are really considering it, do it.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

3. Tyrael

Thanks a lot for your reply, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I drive buses for a living and it makes for a very lazy life style, so I will need to make real effort to get up to par.

It's reassuring to hear about learning skills, that's part of what attracts me to it. And I would love the opportunity to travel so that really appeals to me. Being a badass wouldn't hurt either though. I enjoy helping people as well, so I feel like I would be contributing to that.

I know my family won't agree, I have mentioned the military before but as I said I had doubts and never followed it up. Initially they said I should join if that's what I wanted but I know they would rather I got a "proper" job. My older brother in particular hates what I do and feels I'm wasting my potential. I agree but he wants me to be an accountant like him and while the money is good, it just doesn't appeal to me. I had the same reaction when I got my motorbike, my parents supported my decision but I could tell they weren't keen. I imagine this would go the same way.

Is it worthwhile letting politics cloud the decision to join though? My friend always said he couldn't join the military (British in our case) due to the senseless wars we seem to constantly wage in the middle east. I tend to agree, but I've always seen the military as more than simply a political tool. Despite what anti-war people say, wars have to be fought and soldiers are doing the job of protecting us whether we appreciate it or not.

I hope I can make the steps towards joining quickly as I'm 26 years old and can't afford to wait much longer. If nothing else, I know the experience will change me for the better. Physically and mentally. Honestly I feel I haven't changed since I was about 18, lazy, stuck in a rut and unmotivated. I don't want that to be my life.

Edit: I was wondering is there any particular roles within the Army you could recommend? Or have experience in? There's simply so many.

#3 Tyrael, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  4. jema

No problem. The hardest part of this is getting into it. Not everyone will enjoy getting up early to partake a morning run, so it will be hard. But just don't stop. And you will learn a lot of skill and you will be proud of the choice you made.

If done right, military can give you a great career. It could and would be considered a proper job. Not everything about the military is about being in the front line with the enemy. You're family may not just understand that.

Nope. That's the worst you can do. I see it has I am here to serve for my country and the government is sending me a check bi-montly.

Like I mentioned, start running. Build yourself up and don't give up. They hate people who join unprepared. The rest they will teach you.

I currently only have one trade I am experienced in, and I like it. I would suggest looking online, reading up the options available to you, calling or seeing a recruiting centre and see what else they can tell you. There are so many great ones to chose from and really only you can decide what you will like. Not everyone will like being infantry, and not everyone will like being behind a desk.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

I was set to join the RN as a warfare officer, unfortunately life had other plans for me. But I started getting fit when I was 17 and joined the gym there was a trainer there who was a former RAF PT so I worked closely with him for 2 years to get in shape and managed to get my mile run time down from 13mins to 10:15. If you have your bus license then they'd love to snap you up as a driver!

6. EatYourRikkios

I'm in the U.S. Army, and you know what? Go for it. Don't let anyone hold you back. If you need to lose weight, then you can lose that weight. Go to the gym, run around the neighborhood - it may suck, but this is what you want to do. It's worth it.

You're stuck in a rut. That's fine - you know what you want to do to get out of it, so all you have to do is do it. Go to the gym, keep motivated... nobody but you can do this for yourself. It can suck - I had to drop weight to join up, and I hated it. But if the British Army is anything like in the U.S., then Basic Training will get you used to the physical activity quick.

I could go on about the good stuff all day. I love my job. But there are down sides. You make friends, you're a tight knit family that you adore being a part of every day - and then you move, and you have to try to recreate that circle again. You can't, always. There are deployments that are long, and you're far from your family, so you don't know what's going on with them. You can feel like you can't tell them everything, because they just... they wouldn't get it. You can deal with policies that you think are stupid, or don't make sense, but you have to do things that way anyway. Especially when you first get in and are in training, your free time is drastically cut. You miss home. A lot.

For all that, though? I've found it to be worth it. Hard sometimes, but worth it. SO far as roles in the military... In the US Army you can choose your job. I don't know if you can in the UK, but look into what sort of jobs there *are.* Make a list of the ones that sound interesting. From there, read into those a little, and choose the ones that seem *most* interesting. See what you're qualified for when you go into the recruiters - if you have an idea of what you want to do, that can help them a lot. Try and find a job you'll enjoy, something different from the rut you're finding yourself in.

*hugs* Best of luck. You can do this!

7. SocceRoo

This question is for anyone in the military: How often would you say you would be putting your life on the line? have you ever been in a situation where you thought "wow, I could have died if that was any closer."?

I only ask because I have a friend that wants to join and I'm not sure he knows what's involved (neither do I). The only thing I've ever seen about the military is what they put on the news and movies. It always seems to be life threatening.

8. jema

So far, I have yet to have put my life at risk, only due to the fact I have been in training for the past year and haven't really done any much. It's not always like the movies. But depending on if, when and where the person would get deployed. And really, depending on what trade you were to be in, you may not even get to be in the front line, but in the back line, either tending to other people with paperwork, or doing other tasking. And do keep in mind, there's always that potential threat out there for anyone, but being in the Military will amplify that threat to you and your family. You just have to be careful with the information you put out.

#8 jema, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  9. Tyrael

Thanks for posting. The weight will definitely be the hardest part for me. I have been on/off dieting for about six months and have lost two stone as of this week. If I'm being honest though I haven't been doing any exercise and not sticking to a strict diet. I know I can do better now that I have a goal. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of the military with me, it's good to get an honest take on what I'm signing up for!

Ugh yeah, as I said there above I have had a hard time making progress and finding the will to do it. I have had a tendency to bounce between ideas or not do what I say I'm going to do and I know I'm guilty of it I just can't seem to get over it. It's time to start making some serious decisions and following through with them for once.

I should mention I smoke and drink frequently. Most days if I'm honest. I quit smoking before and lasted two years so I know for a fact I can do that. Drinking I feel is more of a dangerous habit, it's not even a social thing. I just drink when I get in from work or whenever I have a day off. I know I shouldn't, but every time I think about stopping smoking or drinking I feel like I'd be denying myself one of lifes "guilty pleasures". As if I should be entitled to have one or two. I know this is wrong, it doesn't justify it *sigh*.

10. SocceRoo

I never thought about how your family can be affected by the information you put out. now that i think about it, it make a lot of sense. Thanks and good luck. :thumbsup:

11. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

It has its pros and cons. The experience varies from person to person. There will also be some bad days and good days. It's what you make of it.