1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to act 'gayer'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The Aquarius, Apr 13, 2015.

1. The Aquarius

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please don't make this a controversial topic, but I act very straight, and I don't exactly want to. I'm not out to very many people so I guess I want to start acting differently so that people can just guess and if they ask I'll say yes or something since I'm not the type of person that is going to be coming out any other way any time soon. It sounds weird I know but it just seems the easiest to me. So any tips would be helpful really.

2. Decandyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    just a question, how does one 'act' straight and vice versa? I am absolutely certain that personality is not linked to sexuality but is a product of other factors like the environment you grew up in and your psyche. My tip is just be yourself and be comfortable in your own skin. It may not be the advice your looking for but it is often quite easy to spot people who are trying to fit in by being someone their not in order to belong. The way someone behaves or acts shouldn't be a conclusive factor in their sexual orientation.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

Just because you are gay doesn't mean you have to change who you are and mince about the place! It's not a case of you 'act' straight, just that your personality is more masculine and you want to socially conform to the gay stereotypes. I used to think it would be easier to be camp so that you wouldn't have to tell people, but you don't have to tell everyone! Once you're out more you will be comfortable with talking about it in casual conversation.

4. Lyana

There's a way to act more stereotypically gay: more "camp" and "flamboyant" if you're a guy, more "masculine" and "butch" if you're a girl, but if it isn't who you really are/want to be, there isn't really much of a point. I'm not sure it would make you feel more comfortable.

I understand what you mean about waiting until people ask. That's how I chose to come out to some of the people I'm out to, including my crush, my mother, and a classmate. I, of course, not-so-subtly encouraged them to ask. Things that worked for me and might work for you:

- I am very passionate in my defense of certain LGBT topics when they come up. I care more about these issues than a random straight person and am more informed, which makes some people wonder why.
    - Told my mom, who was asking me about my love life, that she wouldn't approve of the next person I brought home. Cue a dozen questions until she finally said, "Is it a girl?"
    - Just not being worried about keeping track of who knows and doesn't know. I was with a friend who knew, two friends who didn't, and the friend who knew was teasing me about a girl, and I just laughed and went with it, and the two who didn't know didn't ask or seem fazed at all, but they suspected -- and when they were later "sure," they weren't at all surprised.
    - When someone I hadn't talked to in ages asked "So how've you been?", I mentioned the girl I'm sort-of seeing,
    - When someone asked me if there was any guy I was interested in atm, I said, "No, but there's a girl,"
    - I joined the LGBT group on campus. Okay, this is probably a hugely obvious one, but technically it's like a GSA and I could have been straight. One of my classmates heard me say I was a member and asked me why, so I came out to him.

Other ideas: the usual rainbow bracelet, or other jewelry, or a t-shirt with the equal sign or some other symbol.

I think the main thing is that I don't deliberately "act gay," I just try to be honest. Aside from that, if you really want to act gay, here is my advice:

acting gay is looking at members of the same sex, possibly commenting on them, flirting with them, asking them out... Sounds pretty gay to me.

5. Jellal

The gayest guy I ever met kept telling me he wanted to put his hand up my ass. Personally I felt that was coming on just a little too strong, and some people can be really put off by that sort of move. (so ... if you're going to "act gay," I'm not sure how you'd do that, but whatever you do, keep it polite. nobody will be impressed by aggressive levels of gayness, just like aggressive levels of straightness creates total douches being gay really doesn't change that.)

6. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out gay stereotypes on the internet, I really don't want to get into this sexistic thing. Just be interested in guys, don't hide it and it's enough...

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start talking about hot guys, wear a rainbow bracelet, like LGBT-related pages or change your "interested in" on Facebook, etc.

8. Manitoban

Just be you, if you try changing that I couldn't see how that would be make you very happy. You would just be acting.

Now if you want people to know without the whole coming out deal just talk about the hot guy or who your crush is or whatever just like anyone else would. People will probably pick up really quick. And of course if directly asked if you are gay be honest and say yes.

Honestly most gays I know( including myself probably) are not the stereotype and it would be hard to tell without talking to us. It's not good or bad that happens to be the case. It just is.

9. tulipinacup

Just like gay guys who struggle with "acting straight" at the end of the day, people will always look into the obvious and if you do something that is unnatural, they're going to take notice. I think I would most likely agree wth Semi-CharmedLife. If you want to "stand out" your sexuality in public, you might as well "exploit" yourself in a way that will benefit not only you but other people and what I mean by that is to maybe actively join in LGBT groups or clubs. If you are comfortable in wearing that is LGBT related then do so.

10. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Eh, why play so coy? If all you want is for people to notice your "gayness," (whatever that is) just wear one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Hunk sold separately)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Yami

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Make out with more same sex people :wink:

12. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm very straight acting too...But girls start to figure out that I'm Gay once I start befriending them...Guys are just fucking clueless...If anyone(Male or female) sees me walking on the street, the thought: "That guy is Gay", will never cross his or her mind...Just be yourself, it works for me...

13. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Plus hanging posters of hot semi-naked men in your room, your phone, your laptop, calendar, your dog collar, in the bathroom and whenever a hot guy passes by you blow whistle and say "damn fine ass" and give him a hearty slap on the bubble bum.
    Warning: that will make you come off as creepy and lecherous and a risk of getting a bruised eyes.

I wonder how many gay guys in their teenage and early 20s still hold the ridiculous notion of "gay acting" :icon_roll There are straight guys out there who wear V-neck, perfume and tight pants.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only gay act is to have sex with someone of the same sex/gender...