1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you, personally, see progress in society when it comes to LGBT acceptance?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Apr 13, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm asking because it honestly seems like society (take the United States, for example) doesn't appreciate the fact that there's people out there that are LGBT. It depresses me when I hear ignorant responses on other sites and from people in real life about the whole "born vs. choice" thing or "Sin vs. not a sin" thing. All the more, it sickens me when people are actually appreciating the new Religious Freedom Bill in Indiana and are using it to discriminate against a minority group.

As of now in 2015, barely over half of Americans favor same-sex marriage and see nothing wrong with it, while 45% or so still view it as a problem. It just scares me that nearly half of Americans still oppose these kind of things.

I truly wonder if the whole debate on homosexuality will ever end. I'm only 21, so I don't have that much life experience, but I want to hear others' opinions on this (maybe some from the older folks). I guess all I'm trying to ask is, do you think society is on the right track and do you think we will, one day, be universally accepted?

Another question: Last time I checked, roughly 35% of people back in 2005 favored same-sex marriage vs 52% in 2015. Do you think in the upcoming years (like 2025), 75% or so of people will favor same-sex marriage?

2. Lyana

Well, yes (LGB acceptance at least, the T isn't quite there yet), but I don't live in the US, where there is probably more to be done than here. I know things are far from ideal, but I think things are getting better and will keep on getting better for LGBT. And I intend to do my best to ensure the people around me will be a part of that.

3. Gandee

Gandee Guest

It is getting better, legally at least. Not sure of my peers' attitude though, some of them are hardcore homophobic.

4. tulipinacup

I'd like to say there is a progress but I guess it has more to do with recognising that we exist as people.

It's not only that the LGBT has to suffer from being misunderstood of who we are but there are countries with bills that make homosexuality illegal. Trans are also more vulnerable since they have a higher risk of getting murdered compared to the rest of our community.

5. Yami

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Here it's really good actually, of course it's not perfect but it's great.
    I'm sure it'll get better, but people need to open their eyes and not be so ignorant. And, I think this new generation will make a difference in acceptance. It does right now, at least.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. The age of consent for homosexuals in the UK was 18 until 2001. They couldn't adopt until 2002. Section 28 - which prohibited the intentional promotion of homosexuality - was repealed in 2003. They could have civil partnerships in 2004.

Lots of progress. Even compared to when I was a kid, things have progressed significantly, and I suspect future generations will be even more pro-LGBT than my own.

#6 imnotreallysure, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  7. the haunted

Oh for sure. Of course there is much more work to be done, but look at how far our community has come. I'm an optimist.

I'm proud to say that I am a part of an "unfinished project".

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and no.

9. tscott

Despite what we're seeing here in the States in terms of the recent backlash by Indiana and Arkansas, which I believe to be the death throes of the anti-equality groups, there has been tremendous advances for the LGBT community. I would say there are certainly fewer negative effects for those coming out in their teens and twenties. The atitude toward being gay was so negative that it forced many of us into the closet and denial. This was presented to us as choice, and if we conformed, got married, prayed hard enough, chose correctly life would be alright.

When I first realized I was gay, it was a death sentence. There were pressures from family, friends, the church (and I talking about Episcopalians), society. There was a time not so far ago when homosexuality was codified as a mental illness, most sex acts outside of marriage were illegal in virtually every state, gay bars were raided, there was the death sentence that was HIV/AIDS. We've traveled a tremendously long and hazardous route to achieve the niceties of marriage rights for all.

We cannot rest on our laurels. So very much still needs to be done, especially for the transgender community.

There certainly horror stories of children beaten and driven from their homes, bullying in school, but we're seeing less of it and greater acceptance. Take a look at some of the stories about coming out late in life. You can witness the trauma and the triumph of being finally authentic with yourself.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For LGB people, yes. For T and anyone else within the acronym (especially the ace community), no. Sure legally, things are improving slowly--but we still have laws that protect people if they give the "Trans Panic" defense in court and bills that give store and business owners the right to turn us away; not to mention EMTs can now legally deny helping gay people in Michigan.

I'll give it another 30 years before we might move beyond the position of second class citizens. Maybe, depending on when some parts of the world want to join the 21st century with the rest of us.

11. Yosia

It's getting better, but slowly. I am still young, but hearing from older peoples experiences, it seems that it was a lot more hostile in he past than it is now. However, we are by no means there yet, still a while to go, especially for the T part. :L

12. Joelouis

I'm glad to say that LGBT+ is accepted by all decent people. The ones that seem opposed are either closeted (in my opinion), or simply pig-ignorant dead heads who aren't worth listening to.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes....not as quickly as I'd like but yes.

14. MojoDojo

Here isn't too bad. I haven't had a lot of issues, personally, though I've heard of lots of people who have had issues. I think it might be generational, too... the worst reactions I've had have been from older people.

15. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it is. My mom did a course so she can be the parson that says the do you take this.... When the place I live allows gay marriage for a day at the courthouse. I do not know when though.

16. CyclingFan

Oh my yes, a ton of progress. Echoing others that it's not all the way there, but it's much better.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think despite much work to be done in many places we have made a lot of progress and it will only get better in time. As our generation gets older, more lgbt affirming churches are created, and more republicans come out in support of gay rights things will get better and homophobes like racists will be a sad minority. If Republican President Theodore Roosevelt was alive today I think he would be for gay rights in all honesty. One of best presidents we ever had.

Like Former Republican Senator Alan Simpson would say “I’m a Republican,” Simpson says. “The party’s basic core is, government out of your life and the right to be left alone.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/alan-simpson-gay-marriage-105440.html#ixzz3XDQ3Cr8o

#17 dano218, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  18. Jellal

I have higher hopes for my generation and even more than that for the generations younger than me. I read somewhere that the golden rule being taught these days is to be as non-judgmental as possible. That sounds like wishful thinking for me, but god i hope that's true.

19. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a western perspective, I can see an increase of acceptance, and at least LGBs are getting more rights. The situation is certainly better than it once was.

However, rights are not the same thing as liberation.

One could say, that a lot of the acceptance is achieved through assimilation. The question is how much progress that actually entails. Who benefits from it? Is everyone included?

Could we, in fact, be embracing what caused sexuality and gender based oppression to begin with?

I just think this is kind of interesting to think about.

20. C P

C P

This.

For LGB, sure(even if it isn't as much as you'd hope)...

For T(and A to a good degree)? Uh...no.

On the other hand, there is also a lot of crap going on within the community itself that really needs to progress.