1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White gay men are unfairly appropriating straight black female culture?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Apr 13, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

I've heard this time and time again, and I want to see recent opinions on it. I've read and heard many a woman of color say how angry they are at white gay men for "trying to steal [their] culture." They also talk about how annoying it is that they sometimes say they're sassy black women inside men's bodies, and that they steal their vernacular (YAS, fierce, work, twerk, etc.) How do you feel about this? As a white gay man who does not use any of these words or cultural references, I want to know how you guys feel. Thanks.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly that is most absurd thing i ever heard.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Uhh, I feel like these women are just stereotyping themselves. Yes, I know a lot of gay men that act sassy and feminine, but whether or not you want to stereotype that behavior as "straight black female" is another story.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an OP by someone who lives in a large city. It's not absurd. I've seen some interesting chemistry between gay (or bi) white men and straight black women in large cities with large gay and large black populations. One thing is that gay white (or bi) men will more willingly interact with a black woman than will a straight white man who is very much in demand and on a macho trip. That's what I've seen. I think that some, not all, gay (or bi) white men may pick up some of the mannerisms to sort of camp it up. I have one friend who lives in a resort area, who previously lived in a large city, who puts on that act and so do some of his friends. He's got a very diverse assortment of friends and some of them are straight and L/B black women. He's just a unique guy. But, since it is something that I've noticed and others have noticed, I'm glad you brought it up. However, I've never seen or heard anyone express any type of anger surrounding this behavior.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Umm if that's what constitutes "straight black women's culture", then I'm equating it to white people in general (not just gay male ones) stealing it. Or Western youth culture in general come to think of it...

#5 Browncoat, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seriously?

8. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Intentionally eaves dropping I heard a black girl retort to another guy to "check his privilege". The guy wasn't white, but Latino or something else. That's my experience of this and it was quite ridiculous to me. I kinda got chills when I read the same statement on the link above.

It might've been a sarcastic comment, but regardless I agree they stereotype themselves. It could be a matter of harnessing an identity that was previously negative into something that allows them to stand out just like with the word "queer". Maybe that's why these individuals act the way they do. It gives thems some power and control over something.

#8 xylaz, Apr 13, 2015
  9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they're worried about stolen culture, perhaps they should quit stealing American culture and go back to dressing like this:

[​IMG]

As cool as those ladies look, that is the ridiculousness of their claim.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The concept of "harnessing an identity" in this case is fairly profound. I didn't even frame it that way, but that could be another way to look at it.

I agree with most of the other posts - how exactly is this "stealing?" It's sort of "out there." If some people contend that some gay men act like women, as in femme, are women in general complaining that they are "stealing" their behavioral traits? I don't think they are.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. It's not "stealing." America is supposed to be a melting pot of cultures. We're allowed to enjoy and use parts of many different cultures.

Also, there is a lot of latino gay men around here (for example) who do the same thing. It's funny how she is targeting only white gay men.

The people who think that can honestly get over themselves.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't know there was a single, monolithic black (straight) female culture. I also didn't know every black woman was a part of said culture. It seems more like nitpicking at this point, although racism, sexism, etc. are genuine concerns within the gay male community. I'd argue both have borrowed from one another.

13. Gen

Gen

I have always found equating the use of language to cultural appropriation to be quite the reach when suggested. Not to mention, connecting the flamboyant stereotype that is placed on homosexual men to Black women only serves to solidify the stereotypes that are placed on them.
    This statement, however, I have serious issues with for two primary reasons.

1. Ethnic minorities cannot appropriate the dominate culture; they can only assimilate. Cultural appropriation is the act of stealing from one culture and introducing their symbols or customs to one's own without consideration for meaning or value. When Americans wear native headdress, they are taking something that has great cultural significance to a select group and turning it into a fashionable, quirky accessory. When Native Americans wear stripped/starred patterns and consume American culture, they are assimilating into a culture that has grown to consume their own. One that they must align with or face alienation. One that is imposed on them and influences their way of life far more than even their own native culture. You cannot appropriate from a culture that you are engrossed in.

2. Which is the most disconcerting; is the blatantly insinuation that African Americans are not staples of American culture. When we live in a country where the most popular cuisines are not our own; fashion that is not own; musical styles that are not our own; language that existed long before us; customs that were adapted from cultures worldwide. A country founded on a land that wasn't ours and built on the collective backs of peoples who it doesn't claim. So, I am curious to know whose culture you believe "American culture" to be?

14. Burnedcloset

I guess I'm going to be the first person to admit to saying all these things (fierce, work, slay, yaaaaas..ect).

I won't lie that I picked it up from LGBT youtubers/certain TV shows/gay culture in general. I find them to be really positive and uplifting when your with people comfortable enough.

I really don't care what anyone thinks about it....

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't mean to imply they aren't. I meant to say that the black women in question would suggest that their mannerisms and identity are more legitimate than gay males', which is what I alluded to by "that is the ridiculousness of their claim." It's an absurd and oppressive thing to say, and I tried to highlight that with an equally bad one.

#15 Argentwing, Apr 13, 2015
  16. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol! give me a break!

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2015 at 10:36 PM ----------

OMG, this is meant to be serious? I'm sorry but this is one of the reasons I don't believe in feminism

17. ZenMusic

Thank you, Gen. My head was gonna explode...

18. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see how this might enforce stereotypes.

19. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Regardless of my sexuality, as a white male, I get that I have no idea what it's like to be black or female in this day and age and society, and that therefore, when it comes to issues regarding racism or misogyny, I just need to shut up and listen. But there is one thing I have to say about Sierra Mannie's article:

This just pisses me off. Gay people, regardless of their gender or ethnicity, are not privileged because they can hide it. The fact that no one can tell their sexuality just by looking at them and the assumption that everyone is straight by default or straight until proven gay causes many gays to feel so much shame and disgust with themselves because of their sexuality, sometimes to the point where they end up killing themselves. True, this does not mean that white, gay males do not have white or male privilege, but this fact shouldn't discount the fact that they do, in fact, face discrimination and are oppressed in this day and age and society.

20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Agree completely.

I saw that article on Time and sorry, but it was nothing more than another round of everyone's favorite online sporting event: The Oppression Olympics!

I think it is weird for a gay guy to say he's a black woman (and I've never heard anyone do that ever, but whatever)--nonetheless, using "black terminology" like "twerk" (sorry, but cultures don't own words) does not at all count as "stealing culture".