1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do/did anti-gay preachers ever come to your college campus and protest against LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Apr 13, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a junior in college and I've noticed that roughly once per semester, there's a guy with his little sidekick who holds anti-gay signs and claims how God is appalled by gay people and that's it's an abomination, etc. I always just walk past, doing my best to ignore it all.

This actually happened today at the center part of my campus. I actually was very pleased that college students (gay and straight) all gathered around and defended the LGBT community. It was actually very entertaining seeing these 2 bigots just standing there, repeating the same common/typical homophobic responses when the college students ask them questions to contradict their false statements, proving them wrong. It makes me feel better that, from what I've witnessed, NOBODY stood by these anti-gay preachers. The straight guys really had a voice and spoke the most compared to everyone else in the crowd, which makes me feel better all the more.

Just thought I'd ask if anybody else periodically encounters anti-gay groups like that in college?

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Do/did anti-gay preachers ever come to your college campus and protest against LG

I have not experienced the same amount of bigotry at my university. But I do constantly hear stuff like "I love gay people but I just don't believe in gay marriage" ._.

3. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Do/did anti-gay preachers ever come to your college campus and protest against LG

I go to a conservative Christian university where 95% of the people are extremely anti-gay. :tears:

Fortunately I graduate in 4 weeks! :icon_bigg

4. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yes!!! There's this really gross old man who stands with signs on our campus' main road and yells gross religious bigotry at anyone walking past.

He tried to stop me once and talk religion with me, but I really didn't know how to tell him I was exactly the LAST person he wanted to talk to.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

Well when I was touring colleges with my sister, we were at Tulane and we saw this old guy on the edge of campus, on the street, with a sign that said "Homosexuals Are Going to Hell" and he was yelling about how sinful homosexuals are and how they need to repent, etc. There were students there yelling back at him, so it was nice to see that, even in a conservative place like Louisiana. Although really it's all silly--no one's going to change anyone's mind. But sometimes it's nice to see student solidarity against people like that.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

We don't get anti-LGBT preachers but we do get just sort of generic preachers. Every time I see one I think to myself "I want to put on my yarmulke and start making out with a dude right here and now."

7. guitar

If they had tried that in any public University in Ontario, the collective student body would have come out to tell them to go f*** themselves. We have had preachers debate over the existence of god and so forth, but I can't think of any anti-gay rallies/preachers on campus. Mind you, I'm an ardent support of freedom of speech - however unpopular the opinion is - because all it does it strengthen the argument which is correct.

But alas, the political culture in Canada, especially larger in cities in Canada, don't take kindly to preachers coming onto campuses and preaching borderline (or outright) hatred.

And OP, good on your student body for standing up for LGBT people.

8. Lyana

Nope, and I'd know exactly who to call if it did happen. How awful.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Naw, though in High School once we had a republican senator come to our politics class and argue against gay marriage. This is my same politics class that couldnt even have a samesex marriage debate because every single person in the class (and the teacher) was for it, so its fine

10. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

At least twice a semester and every time the cops are called because some students don't feel safe.

11. Quiet Raven

Never saw that happen around here.

12. C P

C P

Dang, were they that hardcore? :s If only such a person could see(or I guess care would be a better word choice) how much they come off as the exact opposite of what they supposedly think they do.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've never seen anything like that before.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

No, but my moderate Christian college kicked Soulforce off campus and told the student body to ignore them.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've worked a a major University Library for about 8 years, and so far, I've not noticed or heard of any anti-gay preachers on campus. I've seen some campus Christian groups handing out stuff, but they seem pretty low key and not all in your face. I also see campus Atheist groups handing out stuff.

I've always wanted to see them have their booths right across from each other, on the same day, where they tend to set up in from of the Student Union.

16. the haunted

Actually, no. Not personally at least. I haven't heard about anything like that happening at either of my schools from anyone else either. I go to queer friendly schools.