1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out through a Youtube Video?!?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fragileflame, Apr 13, 2015.

1. fragileflame

I have seen a few videos on Youtube that were made for you to send to your love ones to come out to them...

Here's a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhNXxlMvo08 (Obviously kinda a joke)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRzQn86dJJw
    (A little more serious)

AND THEN THERE'S THIS.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ECU6xtp68
    (my favorite...totally don't have all the lyrics memorized)

So, what are your thoughts about coming out to your loved ones through a video on youtube? Do you think it should be kept more as a private, personal thing? Or do you think this is a great thing for people who just can't tell them? (whatever the reasons may be)

Personally, I have really mixed feelings about this. and I know so many people have sent these videos as a way to come out. I don't think I could ever do it, I would probably do it after the fact if things went well as kinda a joke. But, I feel like they are kinda making it more a joking matter and not something that can be a very serious thing for people in the LGBT+ community. I feel like coming out should be a conversation, whether it be by phone, skype, text, or even in person. *gasp* (Does that even happen anymore?) Idk, that's my opinion. What's yours?

(Oh btw, i think you're fantastic and i hope your day was just as fantastically great as you are. and if it wasn't i hope your tomorrow is. :icon_bigg)

#1 fragileflame, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Lyana

Well, if you're a YouTuber, I can understand making a video to come out to your audience. I mean, that's your privileged method of communication with them. And if you want to link your friends and family to it, fine. In my opinion it's not much different from writing a letter, which some people do. And I actually think a video makes it more "real" than just sending a text message.
    However, the last video you linked, for example, was made by someone who was already out, so it's not really "coming out," it's just a song about it. So yeah, it's fun and jokey but why is that a problem? It's upbeat and can make someone laugh and feel better. We shouldn't always have to dramatize coming out. It would be so cool if it didn't have to be a big deal.

My preferred method of coming out is always going to be face to face. I don't like it, but I feel I owe it to some people (my family, friends). Other people, it just isn't a big deal so I'll slip it in at a fitting point in the conversation and that's that. But people can come out whichever way they want to.

3. fragileflame

No, I'm not saying the youtuber coming out to their audience. These youtubers made these videos for their viewers to use to help them come out. These aren't their personal coming out videos..Grace is straight, the girl in the middle (can't think of her name) is very out and was way before that video, and ally...well we kinda already knew before her actual coming out video..

4. Lyana

Sorry, my bad. I misunderstood.
    It seems like a very impersonal way to go about it, though, doesn't it?

5. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I once saw a video of a boy coming out to his dad, on camera, while he was live-streaming it to who knows how many people. His dad was not only really cool about it, he was thoughtful and he obviously loved his son.

But...he was also clearly uncomfortable, he didn't have the chance to really talk to his son about it, or even to process his feelings. People -- strangers -- were watching him receive this news. And the whole time, his son was playing to the camera with this wicked grin on his face.

I thought it was a really thoughtless, disrespectful thing to do to his dad, and I think he's going to regret cheapening the whole thing for...what? Likes and subscriptions? The approval and entertainment of strangers? It was just really sad.

I'm not sure how I feel about videos directly addressed to parents and family. I agree with Lyana, it seems really impersonal.

6. Yami

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't see the problem here. It can be soo much easier for some people, and I think that everyone should do as they like. Why does coming out have to be so "personal" anyway, like I'm just telling people I don't like the opposite sex?
    Anyways, I love the last one. It's so catchy, and I don't even like that kind of music >.>

7. Formality

Well I've actually thought about making a video on me talking about coming out once I've told my family and friends. It'd be a good way to inform the rest of my less direct friends and maybe inspire other people to come out and maybe raise some more awareness. I've never heard anyone of my friends or anyone really in my age around me come out, so obviously there's a lack of understanding of the LGBT+ that needs to be addressed and acknowledged.

I would probably not use a video to come out to my direct friends/family, I guess I prefer it coming directly from me. That way it's easier to control the situation I guess, and it's easier for them to understand you if you are there to show emotion and to discuss it.