1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone agree with this statement on the separation of church and state?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Apr 15, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

"We live in a great country [USA]. A country where we have freedom of religion and separation of church and state. Only we don’t at all and nobody says anything because we’re used to it. It says “In God we trust” on our money. It says “In God we trust” above the judge’s bench in a courtroom, in a court of law where you have to put your hand on a Bible. It isn’t my Bible. I mean, if I tell the truth, it’s because I TELL THE TRUTH; not because I put my hand on a book and made a wish!"
    - Sarah Silverman

For some reason, I didn't quite know how to articulate how I felt about this topic, but she summed it up so emphatically and in a simple way. Your thoughts? Do you agree?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sarah Silverman's social commentary is actually pretty refreshing, even if she is a bit more confrontational. I agree with it 100%.

3. RemakeJake

I used to find her incredibly grating and unfunny, but she really is an incredibly well-spoken, succinct, and intelligent woman.

4. the haunted

Agree. No wonder other countries can't take us seriously. We can't even take ourselves seriously.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though I am a christian I believe in separation of church and state. Because there are christians on both sides of the issue one opinion should not dominate how government is run. Same as abortion i personally believe in that abortion is wrong and that life begins at conception however I believe it is a personal choice for only a woman to make. I wouldn't object to a constitutional amendment banning abortion in all honesty but i think the issue has been settled and should be left alone. You be surprised of how many democrats personally oppose abortion while supporting no restrictions on abortion in government such as Joe Biden or Harry Reid that I know of.

6. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think we should be more concerned with religions that are active in politics than whether or not our money has something symbolic on it.

Also, you DON'T have to swear on a Bible. That's a TV thing.

Personally it worries me more when there are religious lobbying groups putting pressure on congress to pass or veto certain laws, or when lawmakers cite their faith as the reason they voted a certain way. It's not just LGTB issues that are impacted, it's science and foreign policy and a whole list of other things. It also bothers me when candidates campaign in mosques, synagogues and churches, and court religious endorsements.

I want us to respect all religions and the right to choose your own faith, but I don't like it when religion dictates law.

7. ApexxShadow

I totally agree with it. I feel like religion has no place in law.

8. Lyana

Not American, but I used to live in the States. Now I live in France. Let's just say the two countries don't see "separation of church and state" the same way.

9. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree 100%...

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK we have what you might call a 'state church' (the Anglican/Church of England is the established church and it's Bishops have parliamentary representation) but our country is increasingly secular in outlook and practice. The church and state are closely entwined, officially, but it really makes little difference to most people. It's quite interesting when the church falls out with the government though.

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I honestly don't have a problem with "In God We Trust" being on our money or "Under God" being in our pledge. I mostly think this because our declaration of independence does point out that we are protected under God. "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights". Nobody is forced to believe anything, so it really shouldn't matter whether or not these phrases remain in place.

Although, swearing on the Bible may be the only way to get the truth out of the majority of the population. I guess it's just safer to have most people swear on their own beliefs than none at all?

As far as separation of church and state goes, I feel like there are much more important issues we should be worrying about.

12. Formality

Yes I agree. In the words of Tim Minchin
    "I have no problem with the spiritual beliefs of other fuckers while those beliefs don't impact on the happiness of others."
    So separation of church and state should be just that, the separation of church and state. Not just some phony excuse for it like in America.

13. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe some people who aren't Christian don't like "In God We Trust" being on their money because it is only representative of one religion? American currency should represent all of it's citizens and therefore it shouldn't be connected with one specific Religion when there are many different beliefs and religions practiced and recognised in the country.

14. Manitoban

Interesting topic.

Just seen that in Canada the supreme court ruled that religious ceremonies have no place being practiced during or in places of the operation of government, that it was unconstitutional. (eg. Municipal government councils) and that it had reservations on religious ornaments(eg. A crucifix) being located in such places. Said that due to the constitutions secular nature government needs to be secular.

Quebec, a Canadian province, last year tried to introduce a bill that would have restricted the religious garb that all government workers could wear. It was aimed at Muslims of course but would have effected everyone.

I would say there has been a big push for a truly secular state here recently.