1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A tid bit about evolution that makes me think...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainDreamer, Apr 15, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

[YOUTUBE]mZt1Gn0R22Q[/YOUTUBE]

Around 2:18, the speaker talks about how evolution does not occur at the organism level, and thus, if there are genes that cause some organisms of the species to altruisticly help other members of the species without having offspring of their own, it will still help the gene to pass on as other members of the species carry similar gene, thus, it is an evolutionary advantage.

Which makes me think about those of us whose gender identity or sexual orientation does not permit reproductive sex - aren't we the same? We might be not reproducing, but at the same time, we are still contributing to the survival of the whole human race through our lives.

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I've heard similar things. I remember when Richard Dawkins answered a question about why natural selection doesn't get rid of a gay gene, he explained a few various hypotheses on the matter, this being one of them.

[YOUTUBE]IDmQns78FR8[/YOUTUBE]

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Helping the entire human race survive isn't really a logical hypothesis for the persistence of gay people. That means you're helping people who don't share your (gay) genes just as much as you're helping people that share your genes. In a world with limited resources, the effects cancel out and your net contribution to the survival of similar genes to yours is 0. The only potential benefit being gay could have that could confer a selective advantage for any genes that may be related to it is if you help your relatives (who share similar genes) more than other groups. Thus, your kin, which has similar genes, may be able to reproduce more and propagate your genes more than a group without an extra person to help out.

That, or being gay is a learned behavior.

Orrrr it could be a mixture of genes that may not get weeded out very easily. I can imagine gay people still had children up until recently when they no longer have to hide it.

4. RainDreamer

What I am thinking is larger though, as evolutionary does not happen on an organism level, as mentioned - the whole human race could possibly has the "gay gene". However it only activates in some people under certain conditions, like what Richard Dawkin says, or perhaps entirely by chance. These people contribute to the survival of other members by doing things like taking care of other children, population control by not producing their own children, behaviour control where they experiment non-traditional evolutionary path - if they die, nothing get carried through gene, but if they live and it is beneficial, they can teach to others.

In a way, people are all a little gay inside, maybe? Just some curious thoughts.

5. Justinian20

I would say it's entirely possible that every person has the "gay gene" and it is only activated in some under specific conditions. As just remembering from a couple of websites that said, "The benefits of a gay man is that they can help the entire tribe to survive by looking out for both the men and women of their group." So the gay man contributes to society by looking out for both men and women.

6. RainbowVomiter

What does that mean for trans people? I mean, I could still reproduce with some trans women.