1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about moving.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SriManayaDasan, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Sometime next year (around January/February) I think I'll finally be able to move out of my parents house. Of course, being that I'll have lived with parents for the vast majority of my 24 years on this earth, naturally I'll need some advice on the matter.

To give some context about myself:

1.) The places I'm considering are Salt Lake City and Cincinnati. I have friends who live in both places and both cities have relatively decent job markets. As well as relatively low costs of living.

2.) I have a Bachelors in psychology, with experience in retail, sales, inventory, office skills, and revenue management. I'm looking for jobs in sales (much, much preferably not in retail), non-profit, hospitality, data processing, accounting, administration, Human Resources, and similar fields. My student loans are around the $17K mark.

3.) While I would plan on staying with said friends until I found a decent job, I would more than likely move into a studio apartment when ready. Based on what I've read, I suppose my rent budget would be between $400-800 per month; with or without roommates.

4.) I should have about $10-12K saved up by next year.

With all of the aforementioned being said:

1.) Which of the 2 cities, based on my degree and skills, would have the better job opportunities? Does anyone have any idea about temp agencies in either SLC or Cincinnati?

2.) Would it be easier to go on ahead and apply for jobs out of state? Or just to wait until I can use an in-state address?

3.) Which of the 2 cities would have rent in the price range I listed?

4.) Of these two cities, which do you think would have the more "vibrant" LGBT community?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just trying to figure things out. :lol:

#1 SriManayaDasan, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
  2. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I think perhaps in terms of moving out the best plan would be to find a job in one of these cities first then stay with friends whilst you look for a place. Without a job it is hard to sustain oneself and also jobs can take months to find, maybe start looking in a couple of months for roles because sometimes it can take a couple of months for the company to decide who they will employ.

I don't know much about the aforementioned cities however I think it is important to get a job before you move rather than using all your savings living in a city and trying to get a job. Often companies do not care which state you come from, it is a matter of if you are a good fit for their company, do you have the skills and would you work well with other employees already in the company.

As for a lgbti community I think there should be one in all cities, perhaps that is a good question to ask your friends, I'm pretty sure lgbti people live everywhere and you should be able to make new lgbti friends in either place.

Best of luck with the job and house hunting.