1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fearing Things

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WolfyFluff, Apr 18, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Does anyone else fear getting old and death?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. As Morrie Schwartz said, "I've had my time to be twenty one* (age in quote is approximate); now is my time to be seventy eight." Honestly I am chomping at the bit to see the advances which come decades from now. They're already talking about radical life extension and it could mean that for us, "getting old" means "getting the wisdom of many years and staying physically thirty."

As for death, yeah, I'm apprehensive. Nobody knows for sure what happens when we die. Mostly what I fear is the effects my absence has on the living, and the opportunities in life I'd be missing out on. But it could be great, so I wouldn't advise disproportionately freaking out.

3. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm afraid of watching people throw up, it's soooo gross...I'm actually afraid of throwing up too, I try every method to prevent it...

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I made my peace with my own mortality when I was 11. One night when I couldn't sleep I tried to imagine what it would be like to not be. To go back to nothing. My inability to muster anything, nothing at all that could possibly help me understand what not existing would be like was all I needed for an answer. I cried myself to sleep, horrified. The next morning I wasn't scared of death anymore; I realized there was no choice to be made here, no course of action to be taken, nothing that could change our inevitable outcome; and resolved not to waste what little time I had in my brief window of existence worrying about an unavoidable end. I had accepted it. In a few weeks, I had assimilated it. Now my only real fear regarding the finitude of my existence is not leaving something behind, and even that is not something that keeps me up at night.

We are all gonna die and people are gonna keep dying after us, nothing will ever change that and once I assimilated that it was easy to discard my fear for the useless hindrance that it was. Only thing left in it's place is the determination to get shit done before I die.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if I'm afraid of death.... I think I'm most afraid of the lovely sensations you feel as your body shuts down and dies.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Afraid isnt the word I'd use, I'm curious about it I guess but unwilling to dewll on it or worry about it for the time being.

7. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm absolutely petrified of death. Unless I'm depressed and having a really bad day then generally I really don't want to die and if I think about it for too long I get really upset. I think it stems down to the fact that I haven't achieved what I want to in my life and I fear that I will die before I've accomplished everything I want to.

If I hear too many stories about freak accidents then I get very scared because it could happen to anyone. It doesn't stop me living my life though because if it is my time then there is nothing I can do to stop that. However that doesn't stop me worrying. Safety bubble anyone?

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I'm afraid of death. But usually only to a healthy degree. It's my survival instinct. I'm more scared of losing my vitality.

9. SpiritEnergy

I don't fear death, for I believe in reincarnation.

10. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dont fear death, but I do fear that I will never manage to have the relationship I crave. I just think that Fate will make sure I dont get the chance. He's really mucked things up for me so far.......

11. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure.. just because I will be afraid of death, my fear won't make me immortal, it will happen someday, so I guess I'm not scared. I would be afraid to live forever, actually.

12. lukeluvznicki13

Yes. I just wanna turn 21 and stay that age xD

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do fear death, and aging, but not as much as I used to. I don't usually think about it.

Honestly though, I'm torn between whether I fear death or being old more. The thought of dying scares me, but the thought of being wrinkly and old scares me as well. I see a lot of old people (I'm thinking people in their 70s and beyond) who can barely walk and have all sorts of health issues stemming from their advanced age like arthritis, angina, heart disease, shortness of breath, bad eye sight, weak bladder, lack of energy.. it's just sad.

Sometimes I wonder whether prolonging life as we are is always a good thing, because there comes a point where you are living for the sake of living and not actually enjoying life. Like you see those 100 year olds, and they are almost always just tiny wrinkled things who sit in their chair all day and don't do anything. I don't want to die, but I don't want to be dependent on others, I don't want to be like that.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I actually look forward to death because no one understands me here anyways.

15. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't fear death as much as I fear aging. Death is finite and it's outcome is certain; no matter what it, cannot be helped or stunted, at least for now. Whatever happens afterwards intrigues me because I've contemplated the many possibilities and I came to the the fact that if I do end up in some Hell, I might end up there anyway even if I were a saint. My ambivalence is soothing so that's that. Might as well live and truly be who I am regardless of those forces that control a thing I can never know.

Aging has me apprehensive because whatever I do will influence the quality of my life, which is way more uncertain than dying. Life is random and and we can never control it. Our genetics can switch off a war-zone in our body no matter the amount of anti-oxidants or superfoods one eats. We all at least have some control, but we're clashing against forces greater than our own; our freedom to indulge may cause us serious pain and exasperation later. That's troubling to me because I may be a lonely, hopeless cripple whose image elicits pity or disgust, and the one to blame?--myself.
    It is difficult to deal with blame when things go awry, especially when you admit your flaws.