1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the rise of female hunters linked to feminism or conservatism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Apr 18, 2015.

1. lemons123

Just stumbled upon a link on the Independent.co.uk about a girl hunter who got a lot of hate on her facebook photos for posing smiling next to dead animals.

There's another story on the Washington post here (warning graphic):

Why female big-game hunters become the hunted online, in a way men don’t - The Washington Post

According to the article female hunters have risen in numbers by 10% from 2008 to 2012, so that's a sudden rise given just 4 years span. But I am wondering if the reason is supposedly "rise of female rights" or...the opposite: reaction against feminism and turning back to dumb conservatism and "link with nature"?

2. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm an animal lover. Just the idea of killing animals makes me upset. But when I read the story in your link I also felt like the whole Twitter outrage machine is getting so old. It's like a hungry monster looking for the next person to get outraged at, shame them mercilessly, and move on to the next target of outrage.

On the other hand, that girl is way too happy about killing animals, and her website is nothing but pictures of her smiling next to animals she shot. The story also mentions a woman who went to South Africa and "parachuted in to kill a lion." WTF? How can it be legal to kill animals who are vulnerable or endangered?

Honestly I don't know where these people fall on the political spectrum, but obviously they're big on guns so they must have some Republican leanings. I find the whole thing upsetting and now I have to go hug my cat. :tears:

3. lemons123

Well I am glad she deleted her facebook page(or was it the twitter page??) after the outrage. I also don't mind all the "horrendous dead threats" she had received.
    Her excuse is also incredibly dumb: She claims she is only killing old animals and thus "helping them" (lol).

Someone need to advise her to visit China and kill a panda there in front of the authorities...it will be good vacation for her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::

Killing a Panda in China is Punishable by Death – Freakin' Facts

4. AlamoCity

Not sure which, but where I live female hunters are common and don't phase anyone. Also, pink Browning stickers are popular with females and I see plenty. I can see how "conservatism" can play a role here due to the fact that many said hunters would probably identify as right-leaning.

Sidenote- I have no problem hunting for "sport" (i.e. trophy hunting) if the animal's meat is not wasted, but I have a problem when the trophy is the only reason why an animal is killed.

5. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    IMO they went way too far. Wishing her dead and saying you'll celebrate if someone kills her doesn't actually help the cause, and it's not going to convince her to really think about what she's doing. All it does is contribute to the crazy and make it look like people who want to protect animals are hypocrites. It's not an accident that some of the most vicious tweets are the ones quoted in the story.

I think everyone should have a pet at some point in their life, to learn that animals really do have emotions, they're smarter than we give them credit for, and they're not all that different from us.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like the killing of animals, period. Doesn't matter if it's a male or female hunter. And she tried to justify it by saying she was feeding a village... If she thinks that's the only reason why she killed animals, that's bullshit. Because she totally needs to pose, smiling, next to the poor animal's carcass to take a picture. Nope, it's not the only reason.

It's barbaric...

7. kem

kem

Hunting is terrible and I wouldn't encourage women to hunt in the name of feminism.