1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QuixoticSJ, Apr 18, 2015.

1. QuixoticSJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm applying for graduate programs in the areas of social work/sociology/gender studies. I find that during my search, if I find application forms that require selection of binary gender identity, I get especially irritated. I understand that the broader public isn't fully educated in a TRANS 101 sense, for example, but I do think it's reasonable to expect that an institution that offers advanced degrees in gender studies or social justice should have a little more awareness than this. My inclination is to pitch the form and keep on looking. Now, my therapist, who specializes working with LGBT clients in Boystown suggested that even well-meaning faculty may not be able to sway administration, and I might be over-doing it.

What do you think? Thanks for the help!

Much Love!

QSJ

2. M104

M104 Guest

I'd be curious as to what the reasons are for such requirement. I think it's possible to sway administration, but it may require an organized effort by the staff and the students. If the administration staff is intellectually honest then they'll have to consider your pitch or either provide sufficient justification for keeping the requirement.

3. Manitoban

I think most universities are only starting to tackle this. I know my Uni has made a big push on this front in the last couple years.

I'd also look at the student union stance. A strong student union can make a big difference on how change progresses at an institution.

But I think to answer M104's question that they do it to know what the male/female ratio is for data collection.