1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you want to live forever?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you think it would be like, to be immortal? What would you do?

Would you prefer to become invincible (somehow always regenerate) or remain vulnerable to damage, and therefore able to die? (I know the latter doesn't exactly gel with thread title, but it's an interesting thought)

For this scenario, imagine you will be given the vitality of a healthy 20 - 30 year old person, and you would never fall sick again.

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Depends what kind of life I was living

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I think immortality as a concept is cool but on the other hand I'd never find out what happens after you die and curiosity would kill me.

Also living while the human race dies and then having the earth explode and drifting through space without any control where I'm moving sounds somewhat unpleasant

4. Elena1986

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know. I don't have htat great of a life and would probably be seriously depressed if all my family and my husband died and I were stuck living forever. I also don't even know what it's like being a healty 20-something as I'm now in my twenties and not healthy.

5. AKTodd

Live forever and be invincible - yup - I'll take that:slight_smile:

Todd

6. Lost boy free

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eventually after having immortality for however long anyone no matter their personality would want to die because they will have seen all the horrible acts of the human race and how they're just getting worse, the guilt of whatever the immortal had done will kill them immortality would kill them without killing them.

7. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

No. I can easily see myself getting bored of life past a certain point.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like, forever forever? No. That would inevitably lead to Hell if our current predictions of the future of the universe come true, because entropy would increase to maximum and you'd be stuck in a featureless void.

Unless you dedicated your life to generating energy by running in a hamster wheel or something and by virtue of your immortality never got tired. Then you'd have to trust scientists to figure out a way to turn that energy into mass and make it into things at will (way in the future of course) and then you could maintain a small bastion of order in an otherwise empty universe. Still a bleak end X.X

So I'd want to live nominally forever, as long as I had some means of ending it once I was certain my time was up.

9. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally hate the idea of immortality. Not only because I'd see my children and grandchildren die, but also because I'll probably never adapt to what the future brings us. Right now, technology progresses at an unprecedented speed, to the point in which you have several technological advances within a single generational span. That means we constantly need to adapt to the newer things thrown at us.

To give you an idea, I am 20 years old, and I struggle with touch screens, to the point in which I still own a 5 year old cell phone with keyboard. I just can't fully adapt to touch screens.

So, if you give me immortality, I probably will never adapt to anything. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm not old, but I'm too lazy and conservative to be arsed to learn new stuff.

All in all, you can keep the immortality. Just kill be before travelling to Mars for the holidays becomes a thing.

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, death is my greatest fear.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With a choice of death, perhaps. True immortality would be even more terrifying than death, I think.

12. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes if I stay young forever like go back to being 16 and stay that forever then yes I'd want to be immortal I could do everything

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You'd be eternal jail bait! You heartless bastard! LOL.

You'll have to wait for a more formal answer, by the way.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, and I'd hate to be forever young. Age may come with sore bones, but I'd hate never to have the respectability of a 50+ year old.

16. LiquidSwords

Nothing scares me more than dying.. yes

17. Psaurus918

Maybe if I was 100% healthy, all my friends were living forever, and if I was a multi billionaire than sure.

Other than that no. I would get bored after a while and it would be sad if only I lived forever and had to watch my friends and family die time and time again

18. Tyrael

If you truly did live forever then that would just be horribly lonely. Yes your friends and family would die but I'm not talking about that. Imagine tens of thousands of years from now, you couldn't have a friendship or relationship with anyone. You'd be like a caveman to the people of the future, they'd cast you out at the very least. Or keep you as a relic of a time long past. Given the course of our evolution, you'd look completely different to everyone around you, massively so. And you'd be unable to use a lot of the technology they come up with because you'd be physically unable to. So no thanks.

Immortality in the short term, possibly a couple of hundred years without fear of death, yeah why not.

19. Jolly Roger

An extended life, maybe. But to live for ever in any circumstance, would be absolute torture. Just think floating out in space, the earths been destroyed by the sun, everyone but you has died. And now you are stuck wondering aimlessly across the universe for the rest of time.

20. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, after humanity dies out, it would be pretty lonely... a longer life would be okay, but as long as I'm in good physical health. Immortality? No.