1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ulterior motives for working out and exercise - also POLL

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Apr 18, 2015.

?

Do you think that people use health clubs & gyms to increase their chances for sex?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2015.
  1. Almost everyone

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Most; definitely more than half

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. About 50:50

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Few; definitely less than half

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  5. No; it's either rare or just plain absurd

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Other explanation

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of guys and women hit the gym regularly to look their best and some of them hit the gym at an almost fanatical level which would put them into centerfold territory. I'm not complaining. If it looks good, makes you feel better, and you're healthier for it, then I see it as a positive thing.

However, when I am either at the gym or see people who show off a gym bod through their choice of clothing, even when dressed, the gears in my head begin turning and I start to wonder if people are doing it to increase their access to sex. It could be for one night stands, to find a significant other, or to keep that significant other happy and from straying.

It's no secret that health clubs and gyms have been compared to bars. The big difference is that a person can meet or pick someone up at the gym without running up a bar tab because it's not an additional cost added to someone's membership dues.

Do you think that a lot of people use health clubs and gyms to increase their chances for sex?

I think that, for many to most people, the answer is yes.

#1 Tightrope, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really have no way of knowing because I haven't explored that part of life yet... But I do work out at the local gym with my friend for cross country and track. I've heard classmates talk about how they need to get more fit so they can have better sex. I'd guess 50:50, but I don't know for sure.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I put for less than half. Reason being is that many people actually want to be healthy. America has many overweight people and I think a large portion of the people who join gyms are around middle age (many married) and are doing it for their health (or at least trying). Other than that, I think few people actually do it explicitly for sex. They may do it to look better (society tells men they need to be buff and women need to be skinny). One could argue that looking better will have the obvious outcome of increasing chances for sex, but I don't think that's directly what is on many people's minds. I am not sure vanity reasons is equivalent to explicitly working out for sex.

But, the former estimate is based on the general population. If you asked about specific demographics such as young gay or straight men, I'd say 50:50 maybe. Many people work out before they go to clubs etc...

4. guitar

I began hitting the gym regularly (and for a very brief period totally overdoing it) in part because of sex. At the time I was single and had gained weight. Losing weight & getting back into shape was a tremendous boost for me. The number of "potential suitors" literally tripled once I lost weight and gained muscle. It's a sad reality, but the truth is attraction matters, especially for men. We're visual creatures by nature.

This isn't to say I got back into shape for sex. Quite frankly, the hookup culture isn't my thing. But, I did do it in part so guys would look at me and consider me potential date material. You'd be amazed how differently I get treated then vs. now.

With all of that said, I also do it because it feels good and I enjoy it as a hobby. It feels weird to go more than 2-3 days without exercising and I'll start to miss it. As I get older, health reasons are definitely a factor.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No idea. The last time I belonged to a gym was Never.

That said...now that you mention it, it might be interesting to see solid statistics.

My best guess is that the numbers would be in the middle. Yes, I'm sure there are people who view gym membership as a priority for their sex lives. Perhaps to get that fabulous bodies to pick up guys via cell phone apps we can't mention by name, or else the world as we know it will stop spinning properly, and go careening through the universe, hitting other planets like a psychotic billiard ball. And I've heard stories about people using the gym itself to...ah...meet people as they "cruise" the steam room.

But I am also sure there are people who have other motives for going to the gym. Perhaps they view it as a part of a healthy life. Perhaps they are interested in some sport or activity that requires significant gym time.

I suspect, too, that variations occur from gym to gym. One gym might have a large percentage of slightly flabby people, looking to get in better shape. One gym might have a large percentage of athletes in serious gym work to help prepare them for their sport. And some gyms might have people only interested in sitting and waiting for some action in the steam room.

#5 BMC77, Apr 18, 2015
  6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, absolutely, I think quite a large number of people do that because they want to increase the probability of someone having sex with them.

That's exactly why I do it; I'm dieting aggressively and exercising hard right now because I want to have sex with someone attractive. I want it very, very badly, because I'm 26 and haven't had the sexual experiences I want. I've had to settle for people who are less attractive than I want, because I myself am unattractive to my targets.

In polite company, I'll say I'm dieting and exercising to respond to blood work showing I have cholesterol problems (which is true). However, the real reason is that I want consent, and I'm finally willing to work hard to get it.

~ Adrienne

#6 Pret Allez, Apr 18, 2015
  7. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

i've been going to the gym for about 11 weeks now, and yes i'm starting to feel a lot more confidence due to my body start taking a better shape.

but my ulterior motive was

a cute guy told me i'm too skinny, so i join gym to improve my physique and now were gym budds. since then a lot of girls start to notice me more but still cant reach my "target markets"

so yeah

i am part of the crowd that go to gym to look good, so i can make guys start to notice me. but so far only girls noticing my new look and when they start hitting i start dodging. its so hard to pretend to be straight just to fit in to society when i definitely playing on the other team.

8. Kilbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's the thing about people wanting to be better, wanting to look better. And then there's just maintaining a good physique for good health. That's good.

I just think that the true reason why people work out is to satisfy themselves, more like psychologically. It's more about the feeling, and not just for the benefits or reasons behind it.

I don't really work out, but I try to maintain my body just about around the comfortable level.

9. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are different types of people at my gym but wouldn't say people work out just to get laid. Though, people want to stay/get fit for various reasons. At first when I started to go to gym I wanted to get fit but I did it for myself, I wanted to like my own body and not because of others.

People should exercise because of their own sake, not to be accepted by others.

10. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People go to the gym to look good and as a result of their activity stay fit and/or get healthy. The sexual component arises as a consequence of their confidence and the changes they perceive in other's opinion of them. All people appreciate attention and invariably it may be misconstrued as sexual desire if the person has enough pride to feel that way.
    The less healthy individuals may know this and that becomes an external motivating factor after the disdain and rejection they have felt. Others are in it for the health benefits.
    Personally, I love the gym because it relaxes me and puts my hyperactive mind focused on something productive. Occasionally I will show off, but not really to get sex lol. Its an ego- booster.
    Also I think working out is erotic in many aspects. Working out arouses us and in men it releases testosterone and in women too. There's the flashes skin and ideal bodies we all crave so yeah sex is a factor.:icon_wink

11. Verb

Hmm I think reasons for working out are complicated and not necessarily always related to only sex. It may play a part, but I don't think it's the only reason.

I started doing weights to improve my physical strength and lose weight (and yeah, that's related to wanting to feel more confident sexually). But I then found that I really enjoy the challenge and discipline involved in pushing myself physically and mentally, so working out has become an end in itself. I feel really good after working out, puts me in a great mood and ensures I sleep well. Also helps me loosen up and think when I'm working on an essay.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit, my primary motivation for working out is vanity. But I don't like remaining sedentary, and feel lazy when I sit around and do nothing. So it's a bit of both.

I agree with the above too. I like the challenge, and feel better after working out. Providing I'm well-rested, I look forward to it. Sometimes I push myself too hard though, which results in very sore muscles the day after - but like the say, no pain, no gain. If I work out and feel nothing after, it feels like I wasted an hour of my life.

#12 imnotreallysure, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  13. LiquidSwords

You mean getting in shape so that they're more desirable or literally picking up people at the gym?

I think the biggest reason why people go to the gym is to make themselves feel more attractive. That's probably the main reason I like to go but staying healthy and conditioning for sport are also big factors.

As for actually using the gym as a place to meet people .. I don't think that's the main thing that motivates people to go

14. DeanH

Out Status:
    Some people
    I never even thought that people would go to the gym for sex... maybe that's just me. I know some people get very obsessed with exercise but I think that that's because exercise does have an addictive quality to it - it makes you feel good and helps you deal with stress (like most addictive things). Working out tends to improve your body which therefore means you may be more likely to get sex, but looking for sex is probably the last thing that's on my mind when at the gym. I tend to be in my own world... I don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing - and I think a lot of people are the same.

15. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week and there are a couple of people who seem to be strutting their stuff, but I don't see anybody responding to it.
    For sure nobody takes any notice of me. I probably scare them off though!:eusa_doh:

16. starfish

It depends on the time of the day. The gym I go to is a freaking meat market during peak hours. Which annoys me as I am there to train not look for a hookup.