1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know if someone is gay? Gaydar gun?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by woahthatsboring, Apr 19, 2015.

1. woahthatsboring

Wasn't sure where this question belonged so I put it on chit chat :slight_smile:

I know this is the question that a lot of people can't answer because it varies for most and it's so hard to tell but I really need help. I think I'm falling for yet another girl(which makes me even less straight than I thought I was before :eusa_liar). The problem is I dont want to like this girl in less she's gay because I don't want to pursue her and have her be straight because that has happened to me my first time around and I'm still having trouble letting it go.

Anyways, I recently met this girl at a sporting event with a friend. She was there, let's call her "Clara" with my friend who I was meeting. We were all talking and I don't know how we got on the topic about boys but I noticed that she never said or mentioned one boy she likes. She just sort of said they thought she was cute but she didn't say what she thought about them. Also, when I look at her I think we give each other "the look" and EVERYONE knows the look I'm talking about. It's sort of like a long deep stare you give each other before breaking eye contact. The last thing is she's really touchy. For the first time meeting me I was very uncomfortable with how comfortable she was with touching me but I also noticed that she does that with a lot of people.

In conclusion, I'm really confused about this girl and I think I sense something more but I'm not sure and I'm not going to make a fool of myself so any help is good :help: I also want to know what you guys feel like are important things I should watch for and what's your opinion on the gaydar gun a lot of people use now a days. Is it pretty accurate? (&&&)

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Honestly I'm usually pretty clueless myself when it comes to gaydar but if I were you I guess I'd just try to continue doing subtle things like giving her "the look" or maybe even hinting at the fact that you may like girls if the subject comes up and you feel comfortable saying that. Sorry that probably wasn't that much help but hopefully someone else will be able to give you a better answer. Good luck!

3. AndySays

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey there!

I sometimes fail to tell whether someone's gay or not too; I don't think the whole "gaydar" thing really works for me. It's mostly about body language and speech, but this could mislead you - there are people, who seem to act "gay" but they're actually not, and the opposite - I know some closeted gay people and nearly everyone believes they're straight.

If this girl really gave you "the look" as you said, then you might be right about her, but it could also be just a friendly stare or something. I'd say you should wait until you're sure she's not straight, otherwise you might get into a very awkward situation. Maybe if you two become close enough, she might even come out to you herself - this is what happened with my current boyfriend, we knew each other for awhile before he came out to me as pansexual.

Good luck and I hope things will work out well!

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

You approach her and then you be all like:

Hi! Are you gay/lesbian?

And she be all like:

A) Yes! (*Lesbian hug*)
    B) No! (*Straight-to-Lesbian hug*)

And you be all like:

A) Cool!
    B) Cool

The End

#4 Rawrzilla, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  5. the haunted

[YOUTUBE]DbToUwSGsEw[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2015 at 03:47 PM ----------

I have a pretty great gaydar. I think "the look" really says a lot. That being said, it seems to me like she's probably queer, but the only way to know for sure would be for her to tell you.

6. woahthatsboring

Any help is better than no help so thank you for your response. It did help a little, I might try to hint and I just don't like one gender. I think a lot of people assume that you like one or the other and I think that is what she may think of me now. I'll try to change that :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2015 at 03:36 PM ----------

Thank you! I love your response. It pretty much answered all my questions. I think I have a pretty bad "gaydar" since I'm one of the closeted people you metioned before that everyone think is straight. It's a little sad but one day I hope to be comfortable in my own skin. Anyways, thanks for your response again!

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2015 at 03:37 PM ----------

Thank you for your response but that's a little too outgoing for me since I'm still in the closet and I don't know her that well and would probably scare her away. I do appreciate your response :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2015 at 03:42 PM ----------

Very entertaining video, I think that was probably the highlight of my day. But you're right. I'll look more into the "look" and hopefully we become closer so I can tell :slight_smile:

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never tested my gaydar out on females. With men, they give off this vibe that tends to show up in their mannerisms and speech. I knew this bi girl who, unbeknownst to me at the time, had a crush on me. She was touchy-feely with me (as well as the other girls, but in different ways).

She touched their faces but, when I came to me, I only remember her touching my shoulders and my back. She was really bitchy towards me, and was often bothering me or gravitating to me. She'd stare at me and if I stared back, she'd act strange. She ended up asking me for my number, which I gave her. She never gave me hers and I don't know if she tried to call me.

I had another bi friend, whom I think had a crush on me. The ticker should have been when she sent me a valentines card, telling me how much she loved me and another time, after a natural disaster, she again told me howuch she loved me and couldn't live without me. She kept singing "I Kissed A Girl" when she was around me. She wanted to know if I was dating anyone and got "jealous" when she found out I had a crush on another friend. She took every little thing I said out of context and would just freak out.

I hope this helped!

#7 PlantSoul, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  8. woahthatsboring

It does claifty somethings for me, yes. Like I said before, I noticed she was very touchy towards me and that was just our first real conversation together. Maybe that did mean something. I also noticed that she was jealous whenever I talked more to our mural friend rather than her. Thanks for your response. Gives me some things to think about :wink:

9. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Since I entered a few LGBT clubs and discussion groups in my university some class colleagues (who are openly LGBT) started to stare at me. Don't know how to react to that. Maybe they thought I was straight.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could be "the look."

It could also be "looking" - theirs ... or yours.

Both qualify as gaydar.

11. woahthatsboring

Maybe or perhaps they are surprised to see a new face?

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 12:55 PM ----------

Can you explain the second? The first one makes sense but do you mean that by her and I looking aka staring at each other qualities as being on the "gaydar" or into each other?

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That you or the other person have checked either other out a nanosecond or two or three TOO long.

It's not the same look as when you walk through a store and glance at someone coming toward you in the aisle for a second and with an attitude of indifference. It's more intense. It can be hard to explain.

13. woahthatsboring

Ah. I see. That point was very helpful. I did notice that we held eye contact longer than I would have with another random person. I'll look into that. Thanks for your reply:slight_smile:

14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It great that the world works like this. Everyone randomly asking each other what their sexual orientations are is a completely normal occurrence. Oh wait no...

15. woahthatsboring

I agree, sadly I believe a riot would start if everyone questioned others sexuality since that could be a sensitive topic.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You kiss them directly on the face and see how they react

17. woahthatsboring

If only it was that simple, I would love too! Believe me. But I don't think I'm gonna get a pleasant response since I've just really met her and would probably freak her out.