1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes and thoughts on bisexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vipco3, Apr 20, 2015.

1. vipco3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Many people have stereotypes on bisexuality and what it is and what these people do. What has it been in your experience, what stereotypes have you heard, and in general if you have a story feel free to add something. I've heard it isn't real, i'm faking it for attention, that I'm only in it for a threesome or to appear hot to guys, and even that it's just a phase. Many others as well. How about you? Any judgements being passed on you?:bang::grin:

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Make up your damned mind!"

"Oh my god, you know how it is with Bisexuals, no-one's safe!"

There's a whole lot of them really. What bothers me most isn't that these stereotypes exist, but that they are being perpetuated by some people within the LGBT+ community.

Stereotypes are usually thought to be the work of close-minded, prejudiced straight people, which is why it hurts even more that people who are 'in the same boat' when it comes to being stereotyped would turn on us.

3. Lyana

I don't think I can cite a stereotype you haven't already heard of. The one that bothers me most, I think, is the assumption that bisexual people can't be faithful, or that even if they're faithful they won't be happy and satisfied with their monogamous relationship, because their partner can't give them everything they need.
    The thing is, I'm sure that's true for some bisexual people. It just starts to hurt when people make generalizations about all bisexuals -- but that's true for all generalizations, not just about bisexuality.

Ah, but that's the point. LGBT+ people can also be close-minded and prejudiced, just like straight&cis people can be open-minded (thank goodness for that). We're all people.

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fair point :slight_smile:

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a lot of these stereotypes. Some of them are false and some of them are true ... for some people.

The false ones:
    - they don't exist
    - they can make up their mind
    - they're greedy

The ones which CAN be true:
    - they are confused (some have difficulty managing the little bit of this/little bit of that aspects of this sexual identity)
    - they might sleep around (if they are not in a relationship and have the options, generally because they are above average in looks and charm, this can happen)
    - they don't make good relationship material (correct if you are very monogamous and the other party wants to keep playing the field).

What I'm trying to point out is that it can be a difficult sexual preference to manage for some people. Just being "sexual" and being in relationships is just plain difficult to begin with.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

The first person I explicitely came out to, one of my close friends, with a gay brother, immediatly asked if I wasn't actually gay.

Other than that I haven't personally encountered many stereotypes, since I don't explicitely come out anymore. If people want to know they'll have to pay attention or ask.

I've read plenty of stereotypes online though.
    Like the onse tightrope mentions.
    However, the one about 'might sleep around', has nothing inherently to do with bisexuality.
    Both straight and gay people sleep around plenty, both while single and in relationships.

Also what do you mean 'because they are above average in looks and charm'?

Some stereotypes that haven't been mentioned yet:
    All bi guys end up with women, usually from gay guys.
    All bi guys end up with men, usually from straight guys and the occasional bi girl odly enough.
    All bi guys are ashamed of their gay side.
    All bi guys won't bottom because of this.
    Bi girls are just straight and acting bi to get a guy.

7. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I personally heard that bisexuals can't be trusted because they are likely to cheat. grrr I hate that. Anyone is capable of cheating regardless of sexuality; it has to do with character not sexuality. Bisexuals are lucky. Well... maybe but not really. It's not always so glamorous lol. Bisexuals in straight relationships are priviledged; they get their cake and eat it too.... ok... I live in a trailer small and split rent with a roomie, I don't make a lot over minimum wage, I've had to work hard for the little I have all my life, I've never had a new car, I had to pay my own way through college... not complaining, but tell me again how I am so privileged? I hate generelizations...

8. Lipstick Leuger

I guess those of us that leave a hetero relationship for a gay one don't count, huh?

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cake?? They give you cake for living with a guy?? *And* you get to eat it? Sheesh, I didn't realize that.

So let's add up that privilege, shall we? You get to enjoy all that attraction to people with bodies nothing like what your partner can provide...all that interest in sex you can't have... with the side benefit that as long as you don't act on those interests or talk about them (and in general stay closeted as a bisexual), nobody will think you're gay.

That's not cake.

10. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've implied I'm bisexual to some peoole and the reactions I've gotten was that I'm "too horny" or ridiculously ranchy comments:roflmao:....I guess I just seem like a "sexual" person. No bad reactions here, but I'm not out so maybe I don't count.

11. Cedar

I dislike stereotypes, people are people. Some will cheat while some would stay with someone for a long time, if not, the rest of their lives. Regardless of their sexual orientation. It bothers me that people that are bisexual get a lot of crap for being bisexual.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, really attractive people can have more sexual partners if they want to work it and know how to work it.

I think that this has been the case for some celebrities. Famed Marlon Brando comes to mind. It's hard to say how many people he slept with and the mix and match. It doesn't matter. I saw photos of him when he was younger. Ouch.

They may not be famous, but attractive men and women in more liberal large urban areas can work both sides of the fence fairly easily if they wanted to, and be sort of clandestine about it.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong. It's just reality. I've had instances where I've done this. I also made it a point not to overlap, both for my own health or someone else's.

I didn't post to argue. I wish I had more bisexual friends. I like how they can be so multifaceted and, at the same time, the ones I've known have tended to be so conventional and easy going, without laying any kind of guilt trip on you.

Thumbs us to bisexuals!

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Just pick one" :rolle:

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Marlon Brando, who later acknowledged his bisexuality, when he was younger - not as young as in the classic movie "A Streetcar Named Desire," but sometime before the classic movie "The Godfather." I find him better looking here than when he was really young.

http://static.cinemagia.ro/img/db/actor/00/20/01/marlon-brando-676961l.jpg

Here's another way less well known star, Dack Rambo, who was bisexual and died from complications related to AIDS. He's sort of "pretty" but it's also easy to understand how he could have philandered.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415DMUZrAUL.jpg

That Marlon Brando photo, though ...

15. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha! Ikr? And gotta love bi invisibilty. I guess most bisexuals are closeted to society. If people ask or you tell them, they know. But if I am dating a women, people will assume I am a lesbian. If I am dating a man, people will assume I am straight. Ohhh that reminds me also I heard from a guy "well you aren't really bi; you might get with girls, but you'll end up with a guy." Oh that's why I have had 5 girlfriends; two of which have been serious? True, most of my relationships have been with guys; but I've only been serious with two guys as well...same number as with girls. So, bisexuality can varry. Don't try to measure my bisexuality and try to figure out if I am a "true" bisexual or not. Yeah, that's another one. :wink:

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah, these are good, too. Of course, I'm rolling my eyes!

3) Bi guys aren't ashamed of their homosexual/gay side ... it's that they can't talk about it unless it's with G/B guys or L/B women and sometimes not even then.

4) Some bi guys are bi because of the bottoming! Everyone likes different sex acts. It's mix and match.

5) I will NEVER get this with the bi girl thing. Maybe it's generational or it's a more recent phenomenon. The guys I know, and many of them are happily married, would kick a bi girl to the curb as easily as girls, then and now, will kick a bi guy to the curb.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That bisexuals have "straight privilege"
    That bisexuals are responsible for spreading HIV
    That bisexuals have a choice in who they're attracted to (sound familiar?)

18. blackhatguy

I feel like people think we go for anything with a pulse. I don't think a lot of people understand that we develop crushes the same way anyone else does, just with both sexes. Sometimes I think people think we're gay and aren't willing to 100% commit to it.

19. EAB95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm actually writing a paper centered around this topic. I recently figured out that I am bisexual and was so interested in finding out more that I decided to do my college research paper on it. The main one that I have heard since being out is "oh hon, you're just on your way to being a lesbian." I was told this by one of my newest college friends who happens to be a lesbian. I was quite upset when she said this, but have decided not to hold it against her.