1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pittsburgh students hold "Anti-Gay Day" at school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starlights, Apr 20, 2015.

1. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Anti-gay Day organized at Pittsburgh high school in response to LGBT-affirming Day of Silence demonstrations.

This is really ugly to begin with, but it gets worse and crosses the line into harassment:

Students posted "Bible verses to queer students’ lockers and social media profiles, and, most troublingly, allegedly harassing “Day of Silence” participants both verbally and physically."

"Zoe Johnson, an out bisexual student at the school, described her experience to BuzzFeed—“I got called a dyke, a faggot. They were calling us every horrible name you can think of.”

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, saw this. It's the death cry of a monster who has lived too long already. Herd mentality can be pretty powerful but I am still optimistic about LGBT equality in the near future.

3. guitar

Absolutely disgusting, where were the teachers in this? In Ontario, this wouldn't be tolerated and the public outcry would be great. I certainly hope the same would be true in Pittsburgh.

4. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would take those bible verses, and shove WAAAAY up their ass...

5. Justinian20

I would show pictures of Romans killing Christians by saying if you push me too far I will do this to you. Because Anti LGBT Christians deserve it. These children deserve it as well for being pricks.

6. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much!:eusa_clap

7. Manitoban

I don't imagine it would be allowed anywhere across Canada, but since the US has a more "free" speech law with no notwithstanding clause I don't imagine anything legally can be done. I imagine even discipline against the students by the school could be difficult because of this.

8. Burnedcloset

I saw this and I am extremely bothered by it. They were so itched in the ass from a supportive day of LGBT people they had to do a anti-gay day?
    Did anyone else think that the LGBTQ+ kids and their ally's should do something in return?

Do they really think the stupid words from that simple fiction book is going to hurt me? LOLOLOLOLO they should shove those bible verses up their ass to get rid of the itch they got from day of silence.

don't they know flannel is a lesbian stereotype?!? Like WTF.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the most part, free speech is abridged in schools for students. The school has the right to stop this if they feel it's right, which it would be in this case.

10. Manitoban

Good to hear :slight_smile:

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds like a very bad combination of neanderthal-like behavior and a mob mentality. 2015 ... or 1915?

12. sedgeling

The fact that there is a "lynch list" is especially appalling to read about. The article goes into detail about the organization of the students to harass the gay students at the school. Now I'm a fan of freedom of speech. If there are students who disagree with the Day of Silence and peacefully say that, then so be it. That is their right. I think they're stupid, but I wouldn't want someone else to silence me for my opinions because someone else thought they were stupid.

However, these anti-gay students crossed a line. When they started harassing their classmates and making them feel unsafe about coming to school, then that is the time for the administration to step in. Administrators of any school have the responsibility of keeping the kids safe while they are under their watch, and they need to do something in this situation. Seriously, a "lynch list"? Those are death threats, and the administrators need to take that seriously. Even if you don't "agree" with homosexuality or the Day of Silence or LGBT causes, you have to protect those kids. Their safety comes above any sort of moral code you have.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would be very interesting to see some profile data on the people involved in this group that organized, especially its leaders. Taking this further, we learned some things about the guys who went after Matthew Shepard, especially one of them ... whose name I have forgotten. I'd bet the people who put this together, especially the leaders, have some "stuff" related to their own issues going on in their head. Any more, I reflexively tend to think that when it comes to these sorts of crimes or harassment.

I'm also still scratching my head that this happened in Pittsburgh. I don't know why I should be, but I am.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like every day at my old high school...

15. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    That was my reaction at first too: It's 2015 and this is happening?!?!

sedgeling you summed up how I feel as well. Freedom of speech is important but this goes way over the line into harrassment, intimidation and abuse. I feel so bad for those kids and I hope something good comes out of this.

16. NamesNotJake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pathetic, get with the times Pittsburgh.

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2015 at 11:14 AM ----------

And in a state where gay marriage is legal.

17. candyjiru

Just read this and was so angry... They got together, decided on a uniform, and then judged and verbally assaulted these kids and made them fear going back to school... I hope it doesn't escalate even further T.T

18. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man, great thread to see upon returning *cracks knuckles

First of all, schools do not have unabridged freedom of speech. So this idea that you "say whatever you want cuz freedom of speech" is not true when it comes to schools. Schools have rules and if you don't follow them, you can be suspended or expelled. They have dress codes, they have behavior codes, all things that restrict "freedom of speech".

Now, in regard to what they did. Personally, I don't believe that students should be barred from speaking against a Day of Silence. And on the DoS, they could stage a demonstration or something, and the DoS supporters could stage a counter-demonstration. That's how it works--they yell, you yell louder. Doesn't mean you need to force them to stop what they're doing just because you don't like it.

However, it's obvious that what they did included harassment, which is not allowed at any school. So can the first amendment BS--you can't harass other students. These students should be punished and they should not have been allowed to do what they did. I hope they get what's coming to them.

And all they are doing is ensuring that gay people and Christians are even more polarized against each other. It should be a fun civil war we have coming up.