1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BeautifulStranger, Nov 22, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

That's some seriously scary shit to me.
    I mean, I'm only a junior right now, and I don't have to worry about applications until my senior year. But, along with applications, I also have to take the ACT's next year instead of with my junior class.
    I'm not worried about those, since my score on the practice exams was a 32-35.

Has anyone else started researching and planning?

I'm facing a three-way path right now.
    So far, I've researched colleges for Marine Biology, Mortuary Sciences and conservatories for Musical Theatre.
    Three completely different things...

2. Apocalypte

I'm graduating from college in May (with a BSc in Computer Science), and I have no idea what I want to do then... I'm contemplating moving abroad, but I don't know where I want to move to or what exactly I want to do.

3. Amy

Amy

Mills College Or University of California in Berkley to study Child Development/Education (with an emphasis in Elementary Special Education), American Sign Language, Performing/Theatre Arts, Cultures and Humanities, Liturature and Poli Sci.

I want to teach Elementary Special Education, keep writing, stay in the Performing and Theatre Arts somehow and be involved with politics.

Because of everything that I have, especially with politics and education, I will be in college for a long time.

Politics is something that has not been very important for years, but my attitude is "If you aren't going to fix it, get the hell out of my way and I'll do it." Who knows, maybe I'll be the first female and LGBTIQ president of the United States.

4. Trumpetplyer23

I plan on going to Bowling Green State University. For teaching or public speaking. Hopefully a minor in French.

Here's something that I was told that might help you. Don't chose your major right away. Why? Because as a freshman, you might change your mind. Go in as an 'undecided', and take classes in the areas of your choice. If one appeals to you alot, go to that one.

Seriously, a girl that graduated from my school last year, who went into college as an Accounting Major, is now changing her major because she HATES accounting.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was scared to death of the whole college thing. Not the school, but everything involved getting into one. I never had a problem with tests, so the SATs and ACTs were no problem for me. But my grades could've been better. And I hated hated HATED writing. Yes, believe it or not, the gargoyle used to HATE writing. ANYTHING. The prospect of writing an essay for my application terrified me. After fretting about it for weeks, I picked one of the chosen topics ("What three possessions say a lot about you?" or something like that), and wrote what might still be the absolute worst college entrance essay of all time.

Number of colleges I applied to? One. Was I insane? Definitely. I think I justified it by saying I was saving my parents all this money on application fees...as if that didn't pale compared to how much they shelled out to send me to the school.

Did I get in? Thankfully, yes. No idea what I would've done had I not.

I went in pretty sure I'd become a math teacher, high school or college.
    I left pretty sure I wasn't. :slight_smile:
    The joke at our college was that 99% of the students enter as pre-med, and 99% exit as something else. I'm not sure if that was a joke or a fact, come to think of it.

Lex

6. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

My choice of college: UC Davis or UC Santa Cruz.
    Both have excellent science programs, so I definitely want to go to either one.

And agh! SATs and ACTs are scaring the sh*t out of me... I know I'll do fine on the math portion of the SATs and the science and math portion of the ACTs, but the rest, I'm so scared about.

To top it all off, my guidance counselor had this assembly during lunch where she basically said that since the US economy is crap, getting into college is more expensive now that student loans are getting scarce. :frowning2:

... maybe I'll just be a stripper

7. starfish

Don't worry too much about picking a major right away. I had 4 different major while I was getting my bachelors. You are just getting started and until you get into the classes for a major you really don't know if it is what you want.

Also don't pressure your self into thinking you have to get into this big name school. As long as the your school and degree program are accredited you'll do fine. When you get into the working world the school you went to does not really matter. I went to a no name state school and I work along side people that went to the big name schools. The only important thing is that you get the degree.

8. sdc91

Stanford early action (already applied, playing the waiting game)
    UPenn Huntsman program, dual International Studies-Business majors program
    MIT
    Harvard
    UCLA (Boo, out-of-state :frowning2:)
    UC Berkeley
    Duke

That's it for me. Good luck with your stuff, TJ! And everyone else.

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College really isn't that scary but I can understand why you're a little nervous about it. It's a whole new experience and something you've never experienced before. I myself don't enjoy college and want the whole experience to pass by pretty fast so I can move on with my degree. Good luck thinking and choosing a college that suits you. :slight_smile:

10. Larry Myster

Scary for me too, I have to be a freshmen next year in college. I am alos taking computer scienece to become a video game programmer.

11. thespanishheart

I'm in my first college semester right now...

I wouldn't worry too much. If you want to get accepted somewhere prestigious, then those grades will be more important, but also focus on things like activities. After all, college admissions won't care about JUST grades. It's about well-roundedness. If only that was a word lol You get the point.

Don't worry about finding a specific major right now either. Think of it this way, your first semester or two is going to be full of basic courses such as ethics, English, speech, etc. Take your time with the rest. Once you get past your General Education classes, then it'll be time to follow a plan of some sort. Depending on your desired major and what programs the school offers, you'll be able to see what classes you need to take. I can guarantee you that all programs will require some sort of math, English, etc. however, so don't feel like you need to know right now.

Good luck!(*hug*)

12. trikuriboh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lets see I am in my one, two, three, fourh and a half year in college although it's supposed to be my sixth year I guess. And well I started out as a education major since well I just didn't know what to do and that seemed easiest. It wasn't what I wanted to be in and well in fall 07 I changed majors and now I am in psychology something I've always been interested in and thinking about getting a double major bio and psych. Anyways the point of this is it's never to early to plan ahead and such, but you can still have time to redecide what it is u want to do while in college. Or if u want to get as many degrees as u want just try and check things out in ur first year of college.

13. Larry Myster

Okay that helped me. (*hug*)

14. Nodnarb

I'm a senior in HS this year, and I've already been accepted to the school I wanted to go to; Iowa State.

I know the town, the campus, and a lot of people that are going there/will be going there already, so there isn't a whole lot I'm worried about.

The only two things are 1) Paying for it. We have a friend who knows a lot about ISU, and he says I should be able to get enough from scholarships/financial aid that I or my parents don't have to pay anything. 2) Getting into the program I want to. It will be tough, but I figure if I don't get in, there are other things I can do. And like a lot of people have said, maybe I'll find that my major isn't something I actually want do.

15. Markio

I got into a great college, and my mom was a really great help with financial aid applications. My high school GPA was about a 2.9, but my SAT score was 2120 (That's right!). The first time I took it I had a 1750, but I didn't feel well and there was a lot more math. Taking it twice is never a bad thing. Four times is a little crazy looking, I think.

A lot of my friends had lower SAT scores but higher GPAs. I think there's a balance involved. Just do homework! And an extracurricular activity or two.

16. Nodnarb

Is 2120 a good score on the SAT? I have no idea. I'm taking it for the first time in a couple weeks...

I have a 4.23 GPA(or something like that) and a 32 on the ACT. One would hope that that would be good for some scholly money.

17. Hoppip

I need to sign up for the SAT...

I'm horrified of growing up. I'm so terrible at math. It terrifies me knowing I'm going to have to know (and be skilled at) algebra and trig, yet I'm only in algebra and I may not even be taking trig. Grrr. >_<

I have no clue what I want to do. I'm not good at anything. At all. I'm just mediocre. Can't do math, my literal/rhetorical analysis skills are nonexistent, and science takes too much work. I'm a bad actor, an unmotivated writer, a hopeless artist.

:[

I like grammar... I s'pose.

18. Yeah the SAT is out of 2400 so a 2120 is almost perfect. But like has been previously said you can score lower on the SAT's and have a higher GPA, it'll balance out. Just like conversely if you have an average GPA you can make up for it by doing well on the SAT/ACT/any type of standardized tests colleges look at.

19. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to say but im planning on staying home for college so i dont really have that much to worry about.

For you just focus on your school work and get as high grades possible in as high classes as possible. Taking advance placement and honors classes really help to get you into a good school (although it doesnt help much to fail an AP class).

When ACT and SAT's come around just make sure youre ready. I would recommend studying even though your pre-scores are pretty good. Good grades AND good ACT, SAT score will almost guarantee your spot in any college along with plenty of grants and scholarships.

For your major, sorry but i think youre going to have to pick one. You can always change it later but it would be easier in both finding the right college for you and saving money because you wont waste any on classes you dont need.

Im kinda in the same boat as you because i have no idea what to major in. Pediatrition, Graphic artist/ Illustrator, Sports medicine, Japanese are all very different majors.

If anything, pick one and go to a good college. from there take your core classes (science, math, social studies, etc) and figure it out by the time you finish. You can always change majors but just make sure you get plenty of grants and scholarships to pay for it all.

Hope this helps:icon_bigg