1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of going to the dentist tomorrow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm going to the dentist tomorrow to get 2 root canals done for my canines and I'm really freaking out. The last few dentist I've had have been hell and hurt really bad from not numbing me enough or long enough and I'm terrified of the root canals. Is that weird or a shouldn't be scared fear? Anyone have root canals done before and if so what was the pain afterwards like? I'm just really freaking out right now.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh I know what you mean! I'm not getting root canals but I have to go to the dentist for a cleaning on the 30th and I'm not looking forward to it.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Honestly, the worst part of the dentist...

... is waiting in the waiting room. But once you get back there, it's a little better.

Try to tell yourself, it will be over quickly. Let your mind wander to good thoughts, and if you need to, look up and away from your mouth. Closing your eyes is an option, too, but for me it doesn't really do much.

Ideally, your dentist should check to see if you're "numb enough". If you are, great, you move on. If you aren't, you can tell them you need more, and they should comply. You have a right as a patient to leave, if you believe the pain too much and, in my experience...

Most dentists will comply. You walking away is a lose of money. They may give you a fee, if they feel it necessary, but they want as much money as possible.

After each injection, wait several minutes for it to kick in, let them test you, and keep repeating until you're comfortable.

Sleep as best as you can the day before. Wear comfortable clothes. Make it as easy on yourself as possible, but don't be afraid to speak up about the numbing.

Maybe the day before, situate your room in a comfortable way. Maybe clean off the night stand to hold some books, movies, whatever. Turn the television a certain way, so you can watch it better. Tell yourself, after a little bit of discomfort, there will be quite a bit of awesome.

This is coming from someone who has had a few teeth extracted and some fillings. It sucks, but it's a hell of a lot better than letting your teeth go.

Pain is a bitch, but I'll take a little pain over a lot of pain. And, look at the bright side, you'll be supplied with some kick ass medication.

I thought I was on the Magic School Bus, one time, LOL. That, almost, makes up for the whole thing.

<3

4. iamgroot

Out Status:
    Some people
    I work at a dental office :lol: I wish you luck.
    Just ask for Vicodin.

-AL​

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The longer you wait, the worse it gets. Just remember that.

6. Gen

Gen

You might have a high drug tolerance. I have an abnormally high drug tolerance and know from experience that it can get you into trouble.

Be sure to inform the dentist/assistant beforehand to ensure that they don't underestimate the dosage.

7. MisterTinkles

Yeah, I had root canals too.

I am also one of those people that have to have "more" anesthetic than usual. I tell them this up front and they usually give me a bit more than standard, and it works.

Some people have to have the shots AND the gas. So you might want to talk to them BEFORE they do anything and let them know you have a high tolerance for anesthetics and it would be best for them to give you the limit, or to see if both injection and gas will work for you.

In some extreme cases, the dentist is able to put you completely out while they do the work..........but if this is the case, I would definitely require someone I know to be in the room while I was out.

A good dentist will listen to you. I've had some awesome dentists, and they always listen. The last dentist I had, did one of the root canals, and he gave me "extra" in the shot, which worked fine for me. He was also VERY expert....he was in and out in no time, with what seemed like little effort to have it done. He was awesome.

Just be sure to talk to them ahead of time, let them know how you feel and what you think would work best for you, and let them help you figure out something.

Some dentists even let you bring in your MP3 and listen to music while they work.

As far as the pain.......well, it's a root canal. They take out the nerve in the tooth.
    There shouldn't be any real pain afterwards, just soreness, and being sensitive for a bit until that area heals.

I actually have had three of them. And my mouth and teeth are a whole lot better off now.
    It was definitely worth having it done.

#7 MisterTinkles, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell your dentist that you had too much pain for comfort last time. They should take note; it's not like they enjoy having you in pain.

Just make sure you don't take any medication of your own before going to the dentist.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always tell your dentist what meds you are on, especially anti-depressants. Prozac made my threshold for pain a lot lower.

10. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all for the info and advice ill be sure to talk to them ^_^. I'll let you all know how it goes afterwards if I'm not to drugged up lol.

11. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So just got out of the dentist and all is well. Went pretty good and when I started getting feeling back and hurting I told them and they numbed me right back up! So my worst off teeth are good now I just need to wait for Medicaid to approve of the two crowns. Hoping they do lol. Got some good pain meds so yay! Gotta go back in when they hear from Medicaid to get temporary crowns and fix up my two bottom molars that other dentists screwed up and then go back again for the permanent crowns and I'll be all set! Thanks all for the encouragement and advice it helped a ton ^_^

12. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never even had a filling and I'm shit scared of dentists. God knows what will happen when I finally do need some work doing.

13. 42Bowties

I'm so scared of the dentist I'm getting scared right now :frowning2:

14. Ryu

Ryu

I would sympathise, but the worst I ever had done to my teeth was have four if them out. I like the dentist. I don't know why, but I do.