1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do we spanish speaking people sound to people who dont know spanish?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    what do i mean? for example for a person who doesnt speaks chinese or japanese, they usually understand... i will not say what they understand because i know some people are offended by this kind of things ( i dont really understand why, but whatever)

there are also plenty jokes on german language...

so i , being a latin, wonder what do people not accostumed with spanish, hear when we speak on spanish.

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I am Spanish but I am not accustomed to most accents of spanish. For example, from what I've heard, Dominican spanish is fast paced and I've heard them speak as if they didn't care to pronounce all the letgers of words. Some Cubans I've heard speak Spanish do so in a loud fashion and the pronounce their single r's like if they were L's.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm learning Spanish so I guess I wouldn't have the freshest perspective on this, but I'm certainly not fluent and when I listen to Spanish people talk, I think they speak really, really fast. Also I think spanish can sound pretty sexy/romantic sometimes.

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    jajajaj im dominican btw, we talk like instead of saying "porque yo como arroz" we say " poque yo como arro"
    at the capital its like"polque yo como arro"... otro caso tipico es " yo bualava la ropa"instead of "yo voy a lavar la ropa"

at el cibao people from the rural areas use "poique"instead of "porque"
    at santodomingo "polque"

5. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ajajaja you nailed it!

6. AlamoCity

Hahaha it's funny because I speak Spanish but I someone got a weird accent speaking it. Someone I pronounce words in a slightly Spaniard/South American way and somehow manage to pronounce words that end in "s" by drawing out the "s" at the end, so "good evening" "buenas tardes" becomes "buenasss tardesss." I always have people asking me about my Spanish and origin (my mom is Mexican, but my Spanish sounds "weird").

Also, I always get a kick out of Spanish dialects that mingle words together :lol:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think people would be surprised. A lot of people assume it sounds like the street talk and slang they hear if they've been in the 'hood or know people from it. That doesn't sound too good. The other thing that sounds God awful is the commercials on the radio aimed at Spanish speakers where the announcer speaks so fast and is so excited you'd think a bull is chasing him or he has to hurry up because he really needs to go to the toilet. In some Spanish speaking countries, listening to the news, delivered in Spanish spoken without the "theta" sound, can be very pleasant. The news may not be, but listening to the newscast is. There was this one newscaster on TVE in Spain who was stunning looking and spoke beautifully. I couldn't find his photo. When I do, it'll end up on "Hot Guy."

8. European Spanish sounds to me like how French sounds to others, just really formal and fancy ^_^

Latin American Spanish, the one I grew up hearing, sounds pretty loud, kinda like Chinese and Vietnamese in a way.

9. iamgroot

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like:

WATAKATILALABURRITOAVOCADO

but that's probably just my co-worker.

10. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Then let me read you a bed time story xD. Let it be known that I speak the European variant lol.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know just enough Spanish to get by. Most of the time it's too fast for me to pick up all the words >.< but one or two times I've overheard tables in restaurants speaking in such a refined, deliberate style that was a joy to listen to. Is this a regional thing? They spoke so clearly that I knew they couldn't be of Central American origin (no offense meant to hablantes rapidos :wink:).

I generally think of it as a less pleasant language than Italian, but it has its moments.

#11 Argentwing, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  12. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Less pleasant than Italian? ... *cries in Spanish*

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol
    [​IMG]

Idk, it seems a little harder in sound, more abrupt. A good example would be the number 100, said "ciento" in Spanish and "cento" (pronounced "chento") in Italian. The Spanish has a double vowel sound that makes it sort of aurally meandering. The Italian sounds softer and more direct, giving it a nice sense of flow. That's without even mentioning English. Some words are nice and others are horrible lol.

Maybe I'm weird or just biased by listening to Ezio in Assassin's Creed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#13 Argentwing, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  14. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *cries in European Spansh* ... xD
    Fair enough :slight_smile: Maybe I just have a biased opinion because I grew up with the language >.<

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jajjajaja lots of "r" and "v" mostly: ahshjdhdjsjgshshshieuevvrvvrvrbbsbrbbrbsrvvrbbsb

16. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I didn't know Spanish I always thought people were angry :---D No matter if people were happy or neutral or angry - it was probably cause of the pace of speaking and the loudness too. Finnish speakers are pretty emotionless and the language is quite monotonic.. Now that I speak Spanish it doesn't sound angry anymore, but I've got a lot to learn with my own way of speaking. Naturally I speak quite monotonously and don't stress enough different words.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I remember as a kid, when I would listen to my friend from mexico and his mom talk in spanish, it would always sound as if she were angry or scolding him and he would always sound apologetic, and then it would turn out they were talking about something different completely, lol. One time I was sure she was punishing both of us, and then my friend was like, "she asks what would you like for dinner" lol.

Most of the spanish I've heard recently, from my friends in puerto rico, I can't understand any of it, so it sounds completely different depending on who speaks it and their personality, same as any language. I find the more experience you have with a language, the more subtle tics and cues you pick up on, and you slowly start to understand more of the range within the language, that's been the case with Japanese for me anyway, and english.

One thing I won't ever understand is the stereotype that German is apparently an angry sounding language, but thats probably because my Mother who is the nicest human in the universe speaks it, so again, I'm just more used to it. On average it seems the more foreign and unfamiliar something is, the harder it is to interpret correctly

18. Decandyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds similar to Italian. I understand and to some extent speak Italian and when i hear someone speak Spanish i sort of have somewhat of an understanding of what they are saying due to the similarities between the two languages.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sort of fast, harsh, "machine gun blasts". There are a lot of similarities between the sounds of Spanish and Japanese, too. It seems like a lot of words and sentences are longer, and who can forget the exaggerated and infamous trill? :grin:

20. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's ok, no one understands Puerto Ricans xD :roflmao: