1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out week? Shocked.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perseus, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Perseus

What. On. Earth.

4 of my friends came out to me this week. FOUR.

So 4 of my friends came out to me this week. Why is this shocking?
    1. It's completely unexpected. (my gaydar needs some serious tuning)
    2. I'm seriously surrounding by LGBT people and I don't know it.
    3. It's scary when you've never been on the receiving end before. You just get like a brainfreeze moment and don't know what to say.
    4. All along, a person like me who doesn't like stereotypes/social stigmatisations thought they were straight.
    5. I feel like I'm the first person/first selection of people that a person comes out to because I'm gay and I set an example for them.
    6. One of them is my childhood best friend.

So I'm really really really surprised. But, I'm truly happy for them! :slight_smile: (!) (*hug*)

Tell me about your experiences in this!

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have an asexual and a lesbian friend, and before this school year I didn't even know it.

More and more kids are coming out, and it's really great to see people being more open about their sexual orientation. When I came out to my friends, they really didn't think I acted at all gay.

3. Manitoban

Wow, that's a lot of people in one week.

I've never had anyone come out to me. But as for the stereotypes it just goes to show what a poor indicator they are.

4. Pie

Pie Guest

That's Awesome!

I recently discovered that a good friend of mine was gay too. One of our mutual lesbian friends asked us if we looked at her butt when she walked past and we both said that we didn't.

Then she said "Wow, you're so gay!" and we both said "Yep." at the same time. It was very funny!

5. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In my first week of uni, I told two of my new friends that I met that week that I am gay. I had no idea how they would respond. They both came out to me as bisexual. It was totally unexpected, they were two of the closest friends I had made by that point and they both turned out to be bisexual somehow. I was like OH...OK. :O Gays do attract other gays. :grin:

6. Jellal

I actually had a kinda similar experience with this myself in the past week. Two people I knew told me they were genderqueer and transfeminine, respectively. But 4, damn! I think the queerpocalypse must be imminent...

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had lots of gay and lesbian friends back at my old school and when they came out no one saw it coming but I knew all one because I have a really good gay dar.

8. guitar

This is honestly something I haven't given much thought to, but you're absolutely right. This has been my experience with virtually every person I have come to with. A complete "brainfreeze" as they try and digest what you've just told them.

As much as I like to say being gay is just a small part of who I am, it really is a big deal in many respects. The person on the receiving end is going through the thoughts of "Will they marry? Will this person be discriminated against? How about having kids? Why didn't I notice before? Do they find me attractive? Who else knows?....."

9. gabroxs20

I've been friends with most of my friends since elementary school/middle school and now we're in high school. I know a lot about my friends and I knew one was bi, and I knew one was asexual but before I came out I had no idea that literally all of my close friends identified a as something. Whether it be pansexual, bi, demi girl, etc. Literally I had been surrounded by a bunch of LGBTQ+ the whole time, but the best part is that we have been friends for so long before we figured ourselves out, it just happened that we all fit somewhere on the LGBTQ+ spectrum.

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda waited for my best friend to come out to me as queer before I came out to him. I felt guilty about it. I have no guts.

11. emmussey90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have never had anyone come out to me. The fact that 4 people chose to come out to you means that you must be a trustworthy person who's friendship they value enough. Keep being who you are you are obviously a good person :slight_smile: