1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So frustrated...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BeautifulStranger, Nov 23, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

It looks like I won't be getting my MacBook for Christmas...

Which, yeah... I don't care if any of you judge me as immature right now because I don't know you and you don't know me.

My parents decided instead of ordering one from America, they'd contact someone from LaFarge (my dad manages one of their plants) in Europe and have them order me one and ship it here.
    The reason why they won't do that... It will have a German Keyboard.

No fucking lie.

What pisses me off more is that they refused to buy me a MacBook before I left. They said I'd most likely get it for Christmas. Well obviously not now...

And my mother, ever the fucking optimist, said "Well, it'll just give you something to look forward to when you get home!"

Great... Really great.
    That totally helps me because at home, I totally need a computer so as to keep in touch with my friends. Not to mention the computer at home doesn't shut off 5 times a fucking hour by itself like the one I use here does.

And knowing my parents, once I get home, instead of ordering it for me ASAP, they'll say some bullshit such as: Well, you need to show us that you deserve this MacBook.
    By the time I do that, it'll be mid-November, so at that point, they'll just be like: Wait until Christmas.

So at this point... What I'm getting for Christmas is useless.
    My parents are sending me 'Into the Woods' and 'Sex and the City: The Movie'. I can't watch American movies on German DVD players. And if I want to watch an American DVD on my computer, I have to switch the DVD Player's region and I can only do that a maximum of 4 times.

So in a nutshell, I'm getting nothing for Christmas.
    God bless my parents.:tantrum:

2. Beth

maybe i'm missing something, but macbooks are expensive, i wouldnt go around expecting my parents to blow money on one for me - though i do want one and mum said for christmas i could perhaps get money TOWARDS one.
    its not something you should hate them for. technically they dont owe you anything

3. BeautifulStranger

Again, you don't know me. So don't judge me.
    Did you consider for a moment that maybe my family can afford things like MacBooks and it's not a big deal? Besides, my parents said they're going to buy one for me soon enough. We have one computer in our house therefore if I need it for school and my mom needs it for work, we're fucked =D
    Not to mention that this is also my Graduation gift and it's expected to last me through college.

So I'm not some spoiled brat that's getting a MacBook for a few months and then trading it in for something.

4. Beth

i just think its a little bit dramatic.there are bigger things to be frustrated over.
    i certainly would not be getting anything like that if i kicked off about it. you could be a little more respectful in my opinion thats all

5. BeautifulStranger

Oh no, it's not just this

It's my whole situation.
    The prospect that I'm getting nothing I can use for 7 months for Christmas.
    The fact that I still have no friends here.
    I'm sick of waiting for things to get better. I've been in Bremen 3 months. I'm the only exchange student in my region who is as miserable as I am. Things should be better by now.
    I'm sick of my host-mom sharing with EVERYONE how I'm homesick. Even after I tell her not to.

This MacBook is the thing that's pushing me over the edge.

I'm giving it until my Birthday.
    If things aren't good by then, I'm going home.

6. Louise

Hey, hey, hey calm down she was just giving her point of view. Don't take your anger out on her. I personally think you are right to be pissed. For me it is not a question of money more of the fact that they gave you their words, you have been looking forward to this gift patiently saying to yourself yeah it's expensive I have to wait for Christmas only to be told you won't be getting it and get some naf DVDs in its place.

I would me more than pissed I would be hopping bloody mad. However, being hopping bloody mad won't change the situation. Can you talk calmly to your parents or get a third (calmer) party to intervene on your behalf explaining that they are setting you a very poor example. They should not have promised you something then not give it to you. If they had said 'listen darling money really is tight at the moment we just can't manage it, we really are sorry' then you would be disappointed of course but you wouldn't be pissed.

You are old enough to understand reasonable explainations for things when plans have to be changed but there is no reasonable explaination so added to your feeling of annoyance, disappointment and having been lied to is the sense of injustice. I really do think you have the right to fight for your macbook. Just do it in a calm manner which is more likely to get you the results you are looking for.

Oh yeah, stop kicking off at Beth, this isn't her fault!

7. devushka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're on a high school exchange? that DEFINITELY changes the context of things quite a bit. I did an exchange last year and I remember how terribly hard it was, especially around the holidays. I can see why you're frustrated. it's hard to be away from home for christmas and the fact that the gifts you're getting aren't even usable doesn't help much either... If you ever need to vent, please feel free to PM me. Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there's a great web community for exchange students at www.cultures-shocked.org. I think you'll find that you're not the only one who's having a sort of miserable time at this point in the year. I remember that I felt like shit socially until around January and even then, there were still rough patches. I'd definitely recommend checking that site out, because there are tons of people that will be happy to offer support or let you vent. exchange is a unique set of emotions, that's for sure...

8. starfish

I assume that you speak German, so a German keyboard might be useful.

You can still use it with the system language set to english. Sometime on my Mac I'll switch the system language to British English even though I have US English keyboard. I did this even though I am a native American because we spell some words wrong, but I digress. Also on one of my PCs I have a Chinese keyboard and it works great with the system set to English. Just that a couple of the keys are in a different place. They might be worried that a German keyboard system would be useless in the US. You could also switch out the keyboard to a US one if want. You can usually find the keyboards for about $100 or so.

Back on the topic of christmas gifts, I've learned to just be disappointed with Christmas. No one really ever puts any thought into my gifts so I usually just get gift cards. Then it is usually to a store that does not have what I really want. Everyone clams that is because I am too hard to buy for and that I should just tell them what I want. It kind of hurts when I put a lot of effort into finding a good gift for them and they just take the easy way out. To be honest I would rather not even exchange gifts for christmas anymore, I would rather just get together and have a nice family dinner.

9. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I'm not getting anything for Christmas either, but that’s more because I can't afford it, but I sympathize with you, it sucks when everyone else gets something and you don't. I know for you it might be very different, and probably is, but I'm not really angry because I know how much my parents have done for me, especially in the last year and I also know that if they hadn't helped me I probably wouldn't be talking to you like this, anyway my point is that if you would like to calm down about it (I did say if) then try to think of something your parents have done for you that really helped you somehow.

10. zoeee

i think you overreacted on the situation about the macbook. not saying i don't understand why you complain, i know how hard being on exchange can be. it can be very hard, lonely and frustrating at times, but you'll get over it. seriously! i understand that you are pissed at your hostmum for just tellin people stuff about you which she shouldn't tell. ever thought about moving to another family? of course only if there are more problems than just her telling others about you being homesick. and because of the macbook-come on, i know, it must be frustrating, but if you computer in your hostfamily is bad, go and use the computers at school, at a public library, and internet cafe which i'm sure they would have in bremen or at someone else's house. try and hang out with other people, even if it's only other exchange students. get up and do somethin about your situation instead of just being annoyed and uhappy! =)

11. Louise

Try to renegociate with your parents and tell them how important this is for you, especially at the moment. Let them know how you are feeling, lonely, sad and unsupported by your Hostmum who really should be a bit more sensitive.

If she starts telling people again how homesick you are call her out on it when you get home and simply ask her why she is telling people this when you have asked her not to. She must have given you house rules which you respect so she should respect you wishes on who knows about your private feelings.

I don't know if your parents are reasonable people (no insult meant to your folks) but if you explain better the situation they may well listen and make an effort for Christmas.

Good luck

12. Kimi

I never got anything on Christmas...

Perhaps that's because I'm not Christian:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. zoeee

I don't think that's the reason *lol*