1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural differences and relationships.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gandee, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Well, we have a thread for age gap...so now how's about a thread for even if you are in the same age group, your experience growing up is still very different? What is your take on this?

((Finds a hole in case this ends badly))

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend is from Puerto Rico and I am from the Netherlands, so I guess you mean people like us? :icon_bigg

Certain things are different between us obviously, but that's not a bother. If any, it only makes things interesting and exciting. :icon_bigg Explaining how things go differently and understanding that is very interesting and we really like it. :icon_bigg

So no, cultural differences are no problem for both of us. :icon_bigg

3. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty much like everything else in a relationship. You're going to have disagreements that your significant other simply won't understand because of your experiences. What it requires is you both finding a compromise rather than letting those cultural differences run out of control. I once dated a girl that I later found out was a HUGE Redskins fan. She had her room decked out in stuff that I found to be somewhat offensive. To her it was her favorite sports team, but to me a lot of that stuff brought back a traumatic childhood where I was mocked mercilessly for being one of the few Native Americans in a school that had a really tacky mascot. I was willing to meet some sort of middle ground, but she took this hard "love it or leave it" attitude.

Like if we lived together that stuff was going to be all over the house and my input didn't matter. In the end we broke up because even though we clicked on a lot of other levels we simply couldn't get over this hurdle. Right now I'm dating someone who knows very little about Native American culture, but she's been really flexible with it. We're both meeting middle grounds on the cultural differences really well and letting the rest of our relationship blossom. So in the end it's great to have cultural differences to learn from each other from; just don't fall into the 'my way is the only way' mentality.

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that different cultures can be great together in relationships! As long as you and your partner know each other's cultures, and respect their customs and beliefs. It may become difficult depending on how much you practice your culture, but as long as you and your partner can respect each other's differences and be willing to learn about each other's cultures, I think it's great!

5. Gandee

Gandee Guest

You know Quem, you guys are our EC's fairytale :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm only interested in Latinos and Asians/Japanase/Chinese/etc...

7. Burnedcloset

I wonder what guys will think of a gypsy.