1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I am right about everything and your in trouble if you disagree with me"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Apr 29, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this problem in my family now where my brother in law's extremely homophobic and conservative dad believes he right about everything he believes in and that if anyone even dares to disagree with him your not gonna get his respect. This problem has prevented my sister and her husband from accepting my sexuality out of the fear his dad will find out. However i am a very cautious person when it comes to Facebook and social media and would never make it so he finds out but the fact is this family dynamic is unhealthy at the same time i understand my brother in law's fears over his father being his father has a lot of wealth and power over his family. He is not only a bigot but he is a complete racist. i had a roommate in college who was the same way and made everyone' life miserable in the process because no one felt like they could stand up to him. So my question how do you deal with this kind of personality and confront risking the relationship and everything that goes with it.

#1 dano218, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I wonder what your sister and husband would do if their child was shock horror a lesbian or gay or transsexual or someone else in the queer community? Would they deny their child or deny the father in law? Would they stop their hypothetical trans child getting hormones due to this father in law issue and if so then well they may not really accept you and if they would allow the child then why can't they accept you? Really does it matter if he finds out? They cannot stop you attending family functions, you are all family members. What do your parents say about this family in law? Why do you have to hide who you are just because he is backwards? Hiding this type of issue rather than addressing it creates more homophobia rather than getting people to understand that they are lgbti people all around them and it is ok. The more people see lgbti people the more they learn it is normal. They have less cause to fear it or see our sexuality as wrong. I wonder does your mother in law know about your sexuality? Is he the only one who has an issue with it? I don't think it is fair that your family makes you live in secret, what happens when you get a partner and possibly have kids? Them does the secret spread to the next generation? Should you have to wait until he dies to be able to just live your life? It is pretty horrible that your family is choosing him over you. You aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't have to hide. What is more important to your sister your happiness or some money that she could inherit?

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a church who are the same way.
    Just remember you have ec people to talk to

4. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Most people are the same way at least about one subject.
    religion
    gay rights
    no gay rights
    politics
    name it. if someone is passionate about an issue, they find it offensive when someone else does not share the same passion.
    human nature.

5. AKTodd

This type of person is a bully. They try to terrorize everyone into kissing their ring and when someone refuses to play their game or by their made up rules, they have no idea what to do.

Why exactly does anyone need their respect? A more important question is what (if anything) have they ever done to earn anyone else's respect, most especially yours?

I would live in a way that is true to yourself. If this impotent twit doesn't like it, too damn bad.

Todd

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for answering this thread although i posted it a month ago lol and I agree it is simply pathetic

7. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    You dont want to rush these things.

8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ECs member you may not like what I'm about to say. Do not know your age but I strongly suggest you move out if not already or lesson your exposure to FAMILY PAIN.

You cannot win against absolute stupidity. You cannot be the change in your dads life he has to be the change in his life. Some people do not GET IT and WILL NOT GET IT.

Example: I was backpacking through Southern German years ago. I stayed in a zimmer a sort of bed & breakfast to escape a rain storm. There on the wall, in the hall was a poster with the Nazi Pledge. I couldn't fricken believe it. I nearly vomited.

Escape and go live your life not theirs.

---------- Post added 29th May 2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

Why do you go to that church? I suggest checking out Uniterian Universalist which advocates love and acceptance.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PHP:
    no i am grateful somebody finally answered it because there are people like this and they are toxic to society

---------- Post added 29th May 2015 at 10:12 AM ----------

Hey that is my sister's father in law not my dad. My dad is great and minds his own business which I like but my mom is too emotional and cannot handle anything. Believe me i got out when I could but my bf's death and having no income, no car and living out in the country sucked me sadly back into the home of my family. But I will get out soon enough and i mean that. Shit happens and what matters is what I believe is truth and right when it comes to my fucked up family situation.

#9 dano218, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  10. Foz

Foz Guest

You'll always have us here (*hug*)

What I do in situations such as these is to annoy them anonymously, like swap the sugar for salt, take the batteries out the TV remote or pour the milk out of the carton and replace it with some disgusting soy milk. You know, just little things that make you feel better inside.

If that fails this company here has your solution! :grin: