1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it Bad to Not Know your own Culture?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WolfyFluff, Apr 30, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Being raised and being unaware of the culture and customs from where your family originated. Is it a bad thing because some elders don't like the new generation when it comes to that?

2. LD579

Of course it's not a bad thing. If you'd like to learn more about your own heritage, I'd encourage you to do so because it can add a richness to your sense of self. If you don't, that's also perfectly okay. I would say you shouldn't feel pressured to learn because you're worried about judgement from others, though.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it matters.

4. Lyana

If you don't know it, then I wouldn't say it's your culture. Heritage, yes: a heritage that you haven't inherited yet, I'd say. But your culture is probably the culture of where you're living right now.
    There's nothing bad about it, even though it may be kind of sad for the "elders." If you're interested, you should definitely look up the culture. If you don't really care, that's your right, too.

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's a big deal.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Elders, what a word... Sounds like Lord of the Rings... I just call them dinosaurs.

Seriously now, don't feel like you have to become like them, even if they want you too... That is what I think they mean with their "you should know where you come from"... That's the begining of it, you know... Then you'll hear "have you forgotten your culture? Mind your manners!!"... And then later you'll hear from them "You are a XXX!!! You are NOT supposed to act like that!!!"

There is no real borders on the 21th century, all is a mix of cultures and ideas, and the fact that you were born in some place doesn't mean you "belong" there or are "a (insert nationality here)" just because your mother gave birth there.

Home (and nationality, if you chose to have one) is where the cat is.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, I don't think it should be a requirement, but at the same time, don't see anything wrong with it (if anything, I'd encourage it). If you grow up feeling alienated from the culture of the majority, or feel something missing because of it, that could definitely be a step in the right direction.

I think it's silly how minority groups will pressure one another to conform to this or that set of expectations. A lot of people tend to either agree or disagree strongly on this topic. Learning about yourself and embracing all parts is usually a sign of healthy growth.

Of course, I'm biased, living in a city that's ~50% Hispanic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Bad? No.

But you can discover some interesting tidbits about yourself, and your roots, if you do decide to make that investment.

If you want a financial incentive to do some genealogical digging, there is a possibility you could learn something about yourself, to make you applicable for various/certain/more scholarships/loans/grants. It's allowed me some some financial opportunities in this regard.

Also, if the elders have such a problem with this, why don't they teach the new generation, or are they incapable of doing so because they, like many folks, have no real solid idea of what they're talking about?

9. tscott

I would say that knowing where your from is very important. I am an American first, and, as such, this is my culture. My heritage that from which my people come. Like most Americans I'm a mutt. I am first generation on my paternal side. My daddy was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. My family is largely from Stirling, and we're septs of the clan MacNeil of Barra. My last name translates to "son of a sea raider". So you see knowing where you come from can offer you a lot of insight as to who you are as a person.

10. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Not bad at all, then again my family is weird that they neither discourage nor encourage learning about my own culture. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I have one to begin with but that doesn't bother me.

I am really glad to escape the grand family annual gathering though

11. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I can't imagine not being interested in my heritage and culture. I think it's always worth looking into :slight_smile:

12. Cedar

I'm in the same boat as you are, I'm trying to find out my cultural roots a bit but it can be a bit hard. So many things are segregated by gender so it makes doing/choosing to do something a bit difficult for someone like me. I always have to ask a conductor of a ceremony where I can sit, and that can be a bit embarrassing. Depending on what culture you come from, some cultures can be surprisingly open to lgbt related things, it's just that religious influence has changed the minds of some or all Elders within your community. Might I ask what culture you come from?

13. nohalos

Is it bad? Not necessarily. But it's always worth knowing. You can always find something interesting about your ancestors, and you'll be able to see how far things have changed, and has it changed for the better.

It does give you a little bit more sense of self, I'd say.

14. Jellal

It should be up to you whether or not you want to know your "heritage."

Some people live and die by their origins and want it passed on to the next generations.
    Some feel rootless if they don't know or don't have enough connection to their heritage.
    Some feel terribly conflicted if they have multiple shared heritages, feeling like they're stuck in-between and therefore lack a solid "identity."

Me personally? I don't give a shit about my "heritage." I'd rather live my life in accordance with principles I gather from experience and shared knowledge instead of from just a single resource.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe that word comes up once in over 1000 pages. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Perhaps you are thinking of the Eldar, Tolkien's word for the Elves?

Anyway, I don't think it's particularly bad to not know the culture of your ancestors, if you don't feel connected to their history...that's something that may or may not grow as you get older.

By contrast how bad is it that I *do* know about the culture of the country I was born and raised in, and I despise that culture, and find it poisonous? (That is very different, mind you, from saying I despise the people.) Might ignorance be preferable?

16. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm personally interested in my heritage but I see no big deal about not knowing or not being interested about it.