1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Well Do You Handle Secrets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, May 1, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Not just with others, but things you wish to keep remain hidden, for whatever reason.

Do you consider yourself a reliable bank of secrecy? Are there some secrets you have a harder time keeping under wraps? Are you selective about who you tell certain things to do? Is there ever something that would make you, at least, consider revealing a secret?

Finally, how do you handle somebody betraying your trust? And, have you ever betrayed somebody's confidentiality?

2. the haunted

I rarely ever keep my own secrets. I'm usually pretty comfortable talking about my personal life. I'd rather exchange experiences with other people as opposed to keeping it all locked up inside. I like to talk about things. I like to talk, period.

I'm pretty good about keeping others' secrets. The only person I would tell is my best friend. That is, if I think she would keep her big mouth closed. She, too, has a case of verbal diarrhea. As far as keeping her secrets, I might tell my significant other (or maybe my mom), but probably not.

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like the haunted, I can keep other people's secrets, but as for my own... Well, at work we once had a Christmas Lunch game where we all had to write a secret about ourselves, anonymously, and guess which secret related to who. My boss said to me 'This will be no good for you. You don't have any secrets. We all know all about you'. True. Every drama of my life was always conducted in the most public way possible.

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep my own secrets, and I keep secrets other people tell me. I know if I told someone a secret of mine and they told it to someone else because they were 100% certain that person wouldn't talk, I would still be very hurt if I found out. If someone says "tell no one", that's exactly what it means to me and I expect others to understand that too. It's not "tell no one, unless you REALLY feel like it" or "tell no one, except some people you're certain you can trust".

It depends on the secret too, of course. I will tell people if someone is hurting someone else (including an animal) in any way. I will tell the person who told me the secret that I'm not going to keep it a secret, and explain why that is not going to happen.

I'm usually happy-go-lucky, but I get dead serious is when someone is hurting another person or an animal, or even joking about it. It can catch some people off guard sometimes, who think I'm always silly and playful. I get furious when someone even suggests hurting someone. I could write a 10-page rant on how wrong it is, but this is not the time or place for that. :lol:

5. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

my work professional code obligate me to keep my client secret.
    outside professional scene
    i am a good but not the best secret keeper, they did not tell me their secret tho, i do most of the digging myself... i only consider opening them if its absolutely necessary (probability of self harming or injuring others and require immediate professional help that sort of stuff)

As of my own secret, i have a lot of skeleton inside my closet where i'm living in and i'm not telling anyone about anything.

6. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

Do you consider yourself a reliable bank of secrecy?

I'm quite good at keeping my own secrets. That's because if I think revealing something I think or do would threaten my 'reputation' (by what I mean how my friends/family/people I need in my life/people whose goodwill I'd like to get perceive me) or put me at a serious disadvantage, then I just don't tell anyone. For example my sexual orientation, sexual fetishes, or even some elements of my world view. As for keeping other people's secrets... It was always hard for me to keep quiet about them, but most of the time I managed to, because I didn't want them to be mad at me.

Are there some secrets you have a harder time keeping under wraps?

Some elements of my world view of which I don't talk to people occasionally make way into what I say, because I'd like to impose my views on those who are closer to me. I always do it with consideration and taking into account the amount of info I can tell them. I always try to test the waters first.

Are you selective about who you tell certain things to do?

Yes, see the above.

Is there ever something that would make you, at least, consider revealing a secret?

Being able to let people close to me. I'm afraid of revealing too much about myself, so I try to keep people at a certain distance. It's a partly conscious, partly subconscious defensive mechanism. I'm afraid if they get to know the real me, they would reject me. Being bisexual is one of these secrets.

Finally, how do you handle somebody betraying your trust? And, have you ever betrayed somebody's confidentiality?

It's very hard for me to trust others, so if someone betrays my trust, I never ever trust them again with serious things, and more often than not I develop hatred against them. Most of the people who betrayed me in the past, are on my "Enemies" list or "Don't trust them with anything serious" list.

I'm sure that most of the occasions I betrayed someone were in primary and high school. Since then I have kept in touch with way less people than before, so the probability of someone trusting me with some secret also diminished. Also I'm more mature than before.

"Silence is golden." is not a stupid saying in most cases. Also the quote from Ben Franklin: "Three can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead."

7. Lyana

I am a very, very private person. I keep my secrets close to my heart. I tend to hide even things that I have no reason not to want to be known, and I'm very good at it.

If you tell me a secret, I'll guard it like one of my own. The only case where I could be tempted to tell someone is if your secret is something that morally, I should tell -- confessing a crime, for example. And even then I'd urge you to be the one to reveal it.

I've never betrayed someone else's secret, and no one has ever betrayed my trust, so I don't know how I'd handle that. Badly, probably.

8. Jellal

I am great at keeping secrets, because I often forget what people tell me.
    There's never been a secret from somebody else that I've had a hard time keeping secret.
    I am selective about who I tell my own secrets to.
    Usually the reason I reveal my personal secrets is when I think they will hurt me (or know they hurt me) if I keep them secrets. As for revealing others' secrets, the only thing that could cause me to do that is if somebody's life was seriously in danger. I wouldn't keep a secret that could cause real harm to anybody.

When someone betrays my trust, I never forget it. I will definitely show my anger towards them and take steps to ensure that such manipulation never happens again. If that means severing my ties with them, I'll do it. I don't want to be friends with someone I know I can't trust. Hell, I don't even want to remotely associate with someone like that.

I have NEVER, and will NEVER, until the day I die, betray someone's confidentiality—not unless lives are at stake. There are some principles I believe in. Knowing how much I place importance on having friends I can trust, I refuse to give away any secret I am trusted with.

9. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I can keep secrets.
    However i have the tendency to be very honest sometimes which kind of crashes with that.
    I'm very open about personal secrets if people ask.

10. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I am very good at keeping secrets.
    Heck, closeted people are very very good at keeping secrets.
    The secrets I love to keep most are secrets of people who don't even know I know their secrets *winks winks*

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If keeping something hidden is important to me, it stays hidden to exactly the extent of that importance.

I'm fine with keeping a secret for/with someone else, as long as they understand that I *will* share the information with my partner (who is an even more reliable keeper of secrets than I am...I let her know the things I even keep from myself).

Within the past year or so, somebody misused information I gave them. I vanished on them...something I would ordinarily *never* do to someone, but that shit isn't cool. I would say that betraying real secrets could have similar repercussions.

I betrayed confidentiality once, when I was 16. Children I babysat for were being sexually abused, and told me about it one night, making me promise never to tell anyone. *sigh* After I put them to bed, I agonized until their parents came home, nearly threw up when they paid me, went home, and woke up my own parents, who worked for Family Services. *cringe* The kids were taken away from their parents and never forgave me. I still get teary thinking about it (including now)...and still can't decide whether I did the right thing...I just can't imagine being able to live with myself having done anything else.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd tell you, except how I keep secrets is a secret. :lol:

13. mabo2235

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have 6 best friends and whenever one of them tell me a secret it sometimes slips out my mouth when I'm with another one of them. But my besties do the same so it's become something we don't react to anymore. We trust each other very much so even if we tell the others we know that no one outside us seven will ever know about it. But to acquaintances or relatives I never expose secrets.

I've had things exposed before. Especially from elementary to high school (bullied for a lot of years). People I trusted turned on me and I've never forgiven them for what they did. But family/relatives is easier to forgive I guess.

14. lukeluvznicki13

It depends

With best friends - I keep secrets
    Juicy gossip - well ha...that is sometimes hard to keep hidden

In my political career - I tend to reveal things if it unethical and people need to account for what they have done.

15. TheStormInside

For a long time, I was a "closed book." I shared very little that was personal about me with anyone. I am better at opening up now, but there is still a lot I keep to myself, or share with a very select few.

As for other people's secrets, people often confide in me, and I am not one to blab. I will on occasion share something with say, a friend who doesn't know them at all, if something someone shared with me has me in a dilemma of some sort. Being a good secret keeper means that at times you may be carrying a lot of secrets around for others. Otherwise, though, it stays with me and goes no further.

How do I handle a betrayal of trust? Fortunately this has not happened to me in awhile, but when I was younger I was betrayed pretty badly by my best friend, and since then it's been a little harder for me to trust. With her, we went our separate ways, but there were other issues there, as well. If someone betrayed my trust in a major way I don't think I would be able to trust them again for a long while, and if I didn't cut off the relationship I would definitely be wary of what I shared with them in the future.

#15 TheStormInside, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can keep big secrets. I can't really keep other secrets. This goes for both myself and others. I can be especially open about myself and it's caused a lot of problems. Usually just some awkwardness. But I think I'd have more problems if I tried to keep quiet about my so-called weirdness.

If I really wanted to keep something secret, then I wouldn't tell anyone. Destroy all evidence.

I'll betray anyone that deserves it. Although they'd have to do something truly terrible. People regret betraying my trust in them.

I've been trusted with some impressive things. For example, even if I have a huge argument with somebody, I won't use their passwords and steal their money.

17. EAB95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't really keep my own secrets. If something big is going on I usually need to talk to one of my friends about it asap. As for other people, I am usually really good about keeping people's secrets, with the exception being one of my closest friends. I can't keep her secrets and she can't keep mine. So all our friends know all our secrets. Oops. Haha

18. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to keep secrets sometimes out of necessity. In regards to other people's I will keep them out of respect or where necessary and/or in the best interests of others or myself. It very much depends on the situation, but as a general rule if I have respect for someone I'm not going to reveal their secrets unless absolutely essential (medical emergencies for example).

What DOES sometimes cause conflicts is if a person expects such a high level of secrecy even about the littlest and insignificant things to the point you can't say anything at all, but that's mostly an inconvenience. Or a bigger problem is if keeping a secret would require me to lie/back-up someone else's version of events, because I generally strive to be as honest as possible. The latter scenario was mostly a problem with my father who, despite being wholly undeserving of such a favour, would pretty much expect everyone around him to lie or stay silent about things without concern as to how that might impact on the person themselves (including lying to/withholding information from the police or other official agencies, in order to keep his secrets. I had no intention of going along with this if it came to that).

I would not take kindly to betrayal of trust against myself. If I've trusted someone enough to share a secret with them and specifically told them not to share it and they then betray my confidence, well they'd better have a VERY good reason for doing so, otherwise trust is lost.

Anyone who is deserving; I haven't betrayed their confidence unless absolutely necessary. This is assuming we're talking about 'proper' secrets and not just insignificant things. My mother is one of those people who thinks that every tiny thing could be problematic if discussed even if it's something that would be pretty irrelevant to anyone else but quite frankly if I was to go by her logic I would be literally unable to talk about anything at all/interact with anyone. Especially with me being semi in-charge of most of her affairs as she can't handle them by herself revealing her information is sometimes essential to a process, or when I am otherwise seeking outside advice on various things.

19. gabroxs20

I'm most certainly a "reliable bank of secrecy". When ever some tells me something that they don't want others to know I keep it to myself.

20. Gen

Gen

There is only one way to keep a secret...

[YOUTUBE]o5p-uspcgRY[/YOUTUBE]