1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of parent are you/would you be?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gandee, May 1, 2015.

1. Gandee

Gandee Guest

While there is a thread for do you think you would have children, time to kickstart our imaginations and start thinking about what type of parent we are or would make!
    Personally I would be the fun and strict time, strict because I would only allow limited (or none :badgrin:slight_smile: internet access till the children are at least 12-13 and restricting TV watching time. Seeing my baby niece got hooked by CandyCrush isn't exactly encouraging. And fun because well those who interact with me would probably know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

so what are you?

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A damn cool one. I will raise my child totally different from the way my parents raised me. Well, Im not saying that they did it wrong or something, just different way. I would raise him/her to be a person society needs but also a person that knows the real meaning of fun.

I will be like this

#2 LakanLunti, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd raise my kids differently than my parents raised me, not that my parents did badly, just improve upon their parenting faults.

That being said I'd be a terrible parent. I'd give in their every desire to minimize pain on my ears :lol:

4. nohalos

I think I'd be quite strict, but I'd be their bestest friend. I want to be open as possible to my kids, so they know they can trust me with anything. Also, I wouldn't really give them a phone until they're like 10. I want them to experience how it's like to play with your neighbors, friends and not getting stuck in the digital world.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A horrible one.

6. Gandee

Gandee Guest

why? (*hug*)

7. Cedar

I'd probably be a terrible parent.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because when kids drive me crazy I go in my room and lock the door until they leave.

9. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Haha, I think anyone would be bad parents at first :lol:

10. Lyana

I don't know. It seems really hard to know. I'd like to say I'd be a good parent. My parents did some pretty decent parenting and I'd probably try to mirror them. But to be honest, I can't imagine being a full-time parent and never being able to say, Oh, you know what, I don't feel like being a mom today, I'm taking a break. I feel like it would drive me crazy. I like some kids. In small doses.

I think I won't know until I have kids -- if I do.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Realistic.

I'd want to establish, very early, that I'm willing to be honest with my kid. Even if that shatters their illusion of the world. I've seen and heard parents tell their kids, very vague things like, "Oh, you'll be okay!" or "It gets better!", and while this may be true, it doesn't exactly solve a kid's problems. It may even prove to your kid, that you can't be reliable, and what do they do?

Go to their friends, and this can be problematic. I remember how generally asinine and ignorant kids were, and I would much rather my child knows the truth, as opposed to a half-truth. Basically, if my kid is getting in trouble for, say, making sexual comments, then it would be wise to sit down and discuss that with them. This includes sexuality and whatnot.

I want my kid to ask me anything, and know I'm not going to get mad at or make them uncomfortable, at least not intentionally. The idea is to, hopefully, instill into my child that they can come to me for and about anything, and I will do my best to answer, confirm, or remedy their curiosities. So, if my kid wants to ask me, "Yo, mom, when the kids in the locker room talk about [CENSORED], what does that mean?", I'd tell them.

No son/daughter of mine is going to be dumb, damn it!

At the same time, I'd be a bit of a practical joker with them. One scenario I've been planning for a long time is, if I catch my child smoking marijuana. I'd go into their room, hopefully when they had friends, tell my child they're in big trouble, and wait until their friends leave. I'd then have my child come into my room, and at first I'd act all disappointed, then I'd take a few puffs of my own stuff. Naturally, my kid would want to know why it's okay for me to smoke, and this would lead into our conversation.

I'd tell my kid. If you really want to smoke, you will probably find a way. I can't always be around to, metaphorically, slap some sense into you, but you should know the reality. It may not be as bad as this or that, but it is illegal and you will, if caught by the proper authorities, be punished for it -- and possibly even me. So, if you adamantly insist upon smoking, you do it in a safe place, like your room. Ideally, I'd prefer if you waited until you were 18, because then my ass can't be held responsible, but kids are going to do dumb shit. Just don't say I didn't warn you, now, get out of here with your weak-ass weed, LOL.

I'd be willing to kick ass for my child, if need be, too. Though I'd hope my kids don't do something that requires such, but you know, having their back is something I wish my own parents would have done. I'd have felt a lot more likable and, maybe, even enjoyed life more.

Some may say this makes me a terrible parent. Possibly. But having been a bad child myself, I know what would be effective. Sure, everyone is different, but some key elements remain universal...

That said, if my kid tries to pull one over on me, especially after any talks, well, that's different. I'd have to enforce discipline, obviously, but more importantly, I'd have to stress why the punishment is happening. No half-ass "because you disobeyed me", it has to be direct and even personal, so it makes sense. I hated vague explanations for why things happened, like, "BECAUSE I SAID SO!", growing up.

Of course, this may all crumble apart, if or when I have actual children. But, it's nice to think, my intentions are practical.

12. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Woohoo, finally! I was waiting for Kaiser's input! :grin:
    Will read later ;p

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. I've always told myself and other people that I'd make a terrible parent because I'd probably end up shouting at them, and I don't really like kids, but people say it's different when they're your own.

I remember when I was 10/11 in Year 6 and we spent the day with reception/kindergarten kids who were about 4/5. This one girl latched onto my arm and wouldn't let go for dear life. I found it kind of flattering but at the same time very annoying.

14. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Not sure.I'd probably be scared as hell in the beginning because of the gap between having time for a job to give my kids some living standarts and spending time with my children.
    Apart from that...i'm a horrible rolemodel =P

15. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an honest and open parent, being strict when needed but also allowing my children freedom to grow and discover who they are. I raise my children to be kind and caring as well as critical thinkers.

I think it's difficult to really say what type of parent you will be, as nothing can really prepare you for the experience of parenting and things often don't turn out how you think they will.

Happy days :slight_smile:

16. Formality

I wouldn't be strict. I think the problem parents do with raising their children is they never let their children actually reflect on whatever situation. If you truly want your child to make the right decision you need to give them the tools to understand what is the best decision. Make them think about why they shouldn't do this or that, just telling them "no" isn't gonna help them.