1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing your personality to fit others'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterTinkles, May 1, 2015.

1. MisterTinkles

Apparently the 386 random questions posted on this site aren't random enough, as someone in another thread claimed there weren't enough random questions.

So, here's another random question for you........

No matter where you are at:

Home
    School
    Work
    Store
    Beach
    Mountains
    Club
    Bar
    Restaurant
    Party

Or who you are with:

Friends
    Relatives
    Parents
    Siblings
    Co-workers
    Strangers

Do you change YOUR speech, personality, and mannerisms to be around others?

Or do you just be yourself and have everybody else change their ways to be around you?

I'm not talking about being rowdy with your friends and then being polite with others.
    I'm talking about changing who you are, how you speak, your mannerisms, your body language.

Do you change who you are to fit in with whatever "scene" you happen to be in?

Or do you just live your life as yourself and to hell with everybody else?

[​IMG]

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this on Facebook some times, and i agree with it:

[​IMG]

I try to be "myself" around others, but, if i think about it, my "true face" is always hidden, sometimes even from myself.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is one of those topics that tells me, write a novel...

MisterTinkles, you're killin' me! <3

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, people who spend time with certain people tend to adapt new aspects of of personalities. I really have changed quite a bit since the start of high school. I've developed a very new sense of humor. I also do have different personalities when around certain people. Although, those personalities aren't something I try to change... they just come by instinct. I range from loud and outgoing all the way to quiet and reserved.

As for body language, I think I do try to change that a bit. Body language is a very important way of getting a message across, and it's hard to control when you don't even realize it.

5. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

I think I change my mannerisms a little when I'm around newer/not so close friends. I recently moved to Germany from Africa and haven't made any friends as close as the ones back home yet. If it were up to me I'd be searching through busches and under rocks/logs for insect and other animals and take macro photographs of them all the time because that's what I did a lot back home. Here, people probably just find it creepy. Also If I see a cat somewhere I'd probably try to get it to come to me and start playing with it (I really miss my dogs back home)....but I don't do that because seeing a grown guy kneeling on the ground trying to lure a cat toward him will probably make most friends think twice about our friendship XD When I was around my parents back home I would crouch between the busches in our garden to find spiders or scorpions without caring. But I think as soon as I have some very close friends I'll just act like my self again. :wink:

6. White Knight

Hmm I am same with anyone. To a point sometimes new people feel uncomfortable around me... after 2 or 3 dose of my humor they happily join my wacky, naughty jokes. :grin:

Some might say being in a closet makes a different. Only if you let it I say. Being gay is only one facet of your diamond soul and never should dictate how you live your life or finding happiness in life.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can be somewhat of a chameleon and can tone done my real self to suit certain situations as I see fit.

However, for anyone who knows me well and in situations where I have to be there continuously, my personality does not change very much.

8. TeddyV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, this happens to me all the time..

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm done with not being my true self around others. When I was younger, I did everything you mentioned. The only thing I tend to kept to myself (for the most part), is my kinky-self! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQb1t_Yw0S8

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all do, to some extent or another. In psychology, it's known as impression management. In shame resilience work, it's part of authenticity practice.

The truth is, we all manage our authenticity at one point or another. If you think about it, most of us will hold back saying something unkind (our most unvarnished opinion) to someone we care about, and we might hold something back or put something forward in a situation where we want to be accepted or to fit in.

The more wholehearted we are, the more we can work on being fully authentic as much of the time as possible, but certainly among those we trust, love, and care about. In any case, it is a practice, not an all-or-none, and something we negotiate and moderate all the time.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I take it a step further actually, I don't want to get into it since it's a big secret of mine to tell the truth. But yeah, I think honestly it's a good skill to perfect, changing other's perception of you for the better is a useful tool to have in general.

12. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think I often act differently with different friends. I wish I could act like myself more, but I just don't. I think it's really admirable when someone can be themselves no matter who they're with. Although, I do think it's pretty normal for people to be different around others. In a way, you are still kind of being yourself because you're choosing what part of yourself you want to show to other people and how to show it. The important part, like other people said, is that you always have your inner self.

13. conster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I speak and say things in a similar manner and formality to everyone, whether that is teacher, parents, my friends ect.

In terms of how I act around people, I will probably once again there is not much difference between the different groups of people