1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it bother anyone else that . . .

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EAB95, May 2, 2015.

1. EAB95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does it bother anyone else that some people say "oh, I knew" when you come out to them? I guess it bothers me. Like, they're making assumptions about my sexuality based on . . .? Nothing really, especially since most of these people haven't known me for very long. Does it bother anyone else when people make snap decisions on your sexuality?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's bothersome to those just coming out because coming out is, in a way, being naked with who you are, so when someone says they knew... It's as though your privacy was violated.

The truth is, many people have really good gaydar and can tell, with a pretty high degree of accuracy, when someone is gay. It's a combination of things. Often other people know well before the person him or herself is aware.

I think once you are out and comfortable with yourself... It pretty much ceases to be an issue that people can tell.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, Chip, but I also think it's a sense of invalidating the vulnerability you felt in the coming out moment.

I suppose it depends on the delivery.

4. Vampire

Personally, I feel amused when people say they knew as I hold myself to be very difficult to `detect`. But, as Chip pointed out, people feel bothered because it's as if their privacy was violated.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's some peoples' way of making light of the situation and letting the person know you don't care. If someone that seemed gay to me came out to me I'd probably like "well, duh!"

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's an excellent point. It's as if one feels less empathy, in some sense.

I had this happen in the past, and it felt uncomfortable, but I was always at a loss as to exactly why. Now, it wouldn't bother me, being out, married...if somebody guesses before I tell them, no big deal compared to so many other things going on now.

But back when I first came out, yes, it did feel odd.

7. MisterTinkles

The "gay" community/society has given people reason and cause to make assumptions and snap decisions on peoples sexuality. Don't be blaming other people for the power you give them over you....it's not their fault, it's yours and all of the gays out there who keep treating gay like its a label of endearment or a badge of honor of some kind for "coming out of a closet".

Nobody put you in said closet, but you.

You want to be a decent human being without being judged, then stop being a martyr, a victim of your own making.

You work at being a decent human being and nobody is gonna give a shit who you wanna fuck.

8. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Doesn't bother me, 4 out of 5 people(all of them female) say that when I come out to them...I still can't figure out how...

9. candyjiru

I was really surprised when my friend told me she knew... I think it's sometimes a little rude, but I think it's meant to be comforting at the same time ^.^ Like, I knew already and it wasn't a problem, so no worries~

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well my mom said she knew since I was 3 but I didn't take that offensively.

11. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not that easy for some of us. My parents are extremely religious types and they'd disown me in like 0.00002 seconds if they found out. My relationship with them would never be the same.

I don't like it, but the reality is that I have to weigh coming out against the consequences. Maybe five or ten years from now if I'm in a serious relationship, if I want to have a baby (and I do), then things could be different. I hope that I can be at peace with what happens because it's not going to be easy. But I'm not ready to go through that now. :frowning2:

Who knows, the way things are going, maybe they'll be more accepting in a few years and it'll be easier.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I could see it coming off as dismissive even if that isn't the intention. Coming out is usually a big emotional investment so when someone just shrugs it off or worse it can be a damaging blow to your pride. That's why I don't make a big flaming deal about coming out anywau

13. TheHesitantAlien

Luckily, no one suspected me...and I mean NO ONE! XD

14. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's kind of annoying, because it kind of takes away your pride at having come out. You work yourself up about it for ages, and it feels so awesome to have everything out in the open, and then someone says 'Oh, I knew already'. And it just makes you feel so pointless :/

15. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I think it's something like a defense mechanism sometimes.saying "i knew it all along" can cover up a lot of insecuritys

16. Gandee

Gandee Guest

"Knew/know" is an objectionable word :dry: people just say that without thinking.
    The word they should use is "suspect/speculate*
    Another fallacy in our daily life.
    I should reread "Thinking, Fast and slow" again.

17. -Lana-

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes we just emit homo radiation. A friend of mine who I met in September was completely straight when I met her and now she's Bi XD

18. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really certain how detectable I am. Only one person so far said they knew when I told them and their reasons lead me to believe they might well have done rather than just wanting to seem highly observant.

There's a couple of people I know of who will take every chance to say they knew someone else was gay when it was revealed. I do find it annoying so I just interact with those kind of people less than I would otherwise...

19. Lazuri

Personally, I like it. Means I am feminine enough to not be taken as a man. It might be different when it's about being trans, though.

20. sageNik

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe its the same thing if they assumed you were straight :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , when i came out i din't get a "i knew it", rather a "oh makes sense"