1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vashta Nerada, May 4, 2015.

1. Vashta Nerada

Must be a few others around here that enjoy hiking/treks/walking whatever you might call it?
    Where's your favorite trail, favorite foods to bring or tips?
    Best thing I've ever figured out hiking was to listen to the Fleet foxes during a long stretch

2. Psaurus918

I was thinking about starting a thread like this haha. I hike almost every weekend in the summer. This past Saturday I did Blue mountain here in NY, it was suppose to take 4.5 hours but we ran into thick ice and snow half way up and it ended up taking 7 hours.

My favorite part about hiking is working your ass off to get to the top and have breath taking views. Besides it beats working out at the gym any day!

3. Vashta Nerada

Always been so jealous of continental folk, here in Ireland you usually have to do a few peaks practically to get a good days hiking

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love hiking! There's this mountain that I hike to everytime Im depressed or sad. Its a level 2 mountain tho. I just bring my org. mates there with me and just eat fruits at the peak. But I havent hiked any mountain for several months now. First it was school then now its my summer job :frowning2: I miss being with nature. And tips... Good shoes. Always invest on good shoes!

5. Outlier

I love it, but rarely get to do it. I'm so jealous of every one who has mountains. I need to find some good trails near me, yet I don't think there are any. :-(

6. Jellal

LUCKY! You're in Ireland ... that there is where I'd say the best damn trails in the world are ... years ago I went hiking in Ireland. Wish I could remember where I went, exactly. I was with my family. We stayed out for basically the whole day. Anyway, I never bring much food when I'm out hiking. Maybe a couple small chocolate granola bars and water, but that's all. Typically what I do is eat a big breakfast in the morning, like, an omelette with the works. I cruise off of that power for the rest of the hike, stopping to eat around the halfway point or the peak. Then by the time I'm back I'll have worked up enough of an appetite for a celebratory dinner at the end. My main hiking tip is that as compelling as it may be to enjoy the view, don't look up or look around unless you are standing stationary. While in motion, keep an eye primarily on what's in front of your feet, that way you can prevent ankle sprains/falling to your death.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to occasionally go. Tons of good places my camp :slight_smile:

8. Psaurus918

Here is a picture I took from Saturday. You can see the Adirondack high peaks in the background

Attached Files:

9. LaEsmeralda

Beautiful! That's some extraordinary scenery.

I love hiking and going for long walks in nature parks but none of my friends or family are interested and I don't like the idea of going to new places by myself. I'm very lucky that I live beside a park which has a forest and a mountain peak (though they are very small) where I feel safe enough to go alone.

Any advice for a woman who wants to go hiking and even camping alone? Have any of you guys ever done it?

10. Psaurus918

I've never gone hiking or camping alone. There are only a couple mountains I would do by myself just because they are really easy and short.

If you do decide to go alone make sure you tell someone exactly where you plan on going, the time you go and the time you plan on getting back. Do extensive research about where you plan on hiking so you know the risks.

Where I hike is known for black bears, they usually don't bother humans unless you stumble across a mom with her cubs. Also every mountain here has a check in sheet, so if you don't check out they know to send out a search team. My friend and his grandfather actually got lost when he was a kid and they sent out a search team.

11. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I love hiking/long walks. I havnt been to many different areas but I sometimes go to the Peak Districts in the Uk. I intend to do a lot of hiking across the world one day.