1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Scotland safe for lgbt+ people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by penta, May 5, 2015.

1. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So a little question for the Scottish people or people who have been there..
    I'm planning on going to Scotland with my brother next month, but i really want to go as myself if you know what i mean.
    But i have never been there and don't know what the people are like.
    Is it safe for lgbt+ people like me?
    I'm planning to go to the highlands, to Edinburgh and Glasgow at least, but we'll be traveling around by car so maybe we end up somewhere else too.

2. Yosia

I have heard that it is fine. I have a few Scottish LGBT+ friends and they dont face any major discrimination aside from the immature people who seem to hate LGBT+ people for nothing more than attention really, but you get them in any country sooo...

Have fun! Scotland seems like a nice place, I might visit sometime for saying I only live about 5 hours away :3

3. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I think it's fine, our Scottish friends here seem alive, kicking and swearing. Let wait for their inputs, I want to go there someday too :3

4. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm in Inverness and the UK as a whole is excellent, even though the Scottish Highlands are thought to be religious, most people aren't, of all the people I know the only anti-gay person is my sister's friend's mum. If you're coming by car there's a heap of places you can go. Inverness to Applecross is a must if you're coming to the Highlands!

#4 Foz, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure there's ignorance wherever you go, but on the whole the Scottish seem to be lovely, friendly people. :slight_smile:

6. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds great, inverness is a good idea

7. Lyana

Glasgow was totally fine when I went there a couple months ago. The uni LGBT groups are pretty cool (Strathclyde, Glasgow Uni). I was also casually out to pretty much anyone I talked to there, mostly because I would mention that I missed the girl I was seeing. No one really cared.

8. HugasaurusRex

Besides the usual bigots you get everywhere, there is not much in any part of the UK. The only discrimination I have received is from people who do not know me well. But other than that, the majority of Brits are very accepting of LGBT+ people.

9. ive never been to the highlands so cant comment on there but i go edin and ggow regularly and they are both fine for lgbt people. edin has a tiiiiiny gay scene for the size of the city i think theres about 2 gays bars and 2 gay pubs. of course some people are poopheads wherever you go, but 99% of people are fine about lgbt people. glasgow is more friendly than edinburgh people wise, edin folk seem a bit.... standoffish. im not sure why, but i think it gets more tourism perhaps than ggow. but both are nice places. i do prefer glasgow than edinburgh personally but thats just only shopping wise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. LGBT people will almost certainly be safe there, if they don't go looking for trouble. I think the worst you'll probably deal with is some confusion from others. But since you're even asking this question, you probably don't need me to tell you advice such as "avoid groups of alcoholics."

I'll put this into perspective for you. I'm a trans guy. I've lived in Scotland, for most of my life. The worst I had to deal with came from high school. But some kids will always find reasons to bully their peers. Nowadays the worst I usually deal with from folks = invasive questions from curious people and insults from immature people. On a sidenote, people usually don't really care about my bisexuality. Considering how lively I can be, that says something positive about the level of acceptance.

I hope you have lots of fun, when you visit Scotland!

11. tscott

Don't miss Stirling...William Wallace Monument, Battle of Bannockburn, and the castle...charming little town.

12. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your answers, it makes me a lot more comfortable going there.
    It will probably be fine and it's going to be great, just hope it doesn't rain all the time....

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Edinburgh and Glasgow have different vibes - Edinburgh feels more refined, well-heeled, and more reserved - kind of similar to London but Scottish. The city has a load of wealth, but most of the wealth is old money and the city is probably more conservative.

Glasgow, on the other hand, is a little rougher around the edges, the people are very friendly and less reserved. Probably a little more liberal or at least left-leaning politically.

I think Edinburgh is a fantastic city with beautiful buildings, but Glasgow feels more lively and exciting. Edinburgh can feel like a larger version of Oxford or Cambridge.

But yeah, you'll be fine in Scotland. The UK in general is one of the best places in the world for LGBT people - I'd say only Sweden and the Netherlands are any better.

14. Foz

Foz Guest

One thing to watch out for if you're driving over here is (I don't know if this applies in Netherlands but it does in many other Euro countries) in most European countries if you are at a cross roads and flash your lights it means you are telling the other person you are going to move first. But in the UK flashing your headlights tells the other person to go first. As you can imagine there are many crashes on Scotland's single track roads because of this as it is a frequent gesture!

15. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That will be no problem as it's a custom here too, when you flash your lights you tell the other person to move first

16. Images and Words

All I can say is "och, eye"

17. 741852963

Well statistically speaking Scotland does have a bit more of a problem with homophobic hate crime than other parts of the UK.

I don't think you need be concerned though, particularly if you are with others. I would say with Glasgow though, whilst the city centre is quite "metropolitan" the surrounding suburbs are very rough. It is a city with a lot of poverty and crime does tend to go hand in hand with that. The centre is nice enough though, but there are nicer cities IMO (Edinburgh, Perth, Stirling etc).

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like I'd like Glasgow best, as far as cities go!

l'd love to go and see the more remote places, myself, such as those various islands that look so alluring on the map: Skye, Uist, Harris...I very much love to see less trampled places, or places where I'm not likely to see too many other Americans, or tourists, period.

Well, maybe one day! But I have a strong desire to see Scotland. Plus, Jamie McCrimmon, one of of first Dr. Who crushes was Scottish :slight_smile:

19. Foz

Foz Guest

There's nothing better than American tourist watching, it's so damn funny! There's always the one man on the coach tour who thinks he knows everything about Scotland from the book he read last night. It doesn't matter where they go, yank tourists are hilarious XD

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll love me, then! I don't claim to know too much aside from Architecture, I just wanna see the craggy sea-shore, and cute boys in kilts, see a few old castles, and drink scotch, but mainly stay in a little cottage for a few weeks in a remote place, and get some writing done where it's quiet, and I won't be bothered...but I quite fancy going there at least 10 times more so than Ireland, and it's hard to say exactly why. Seems more craggy and alluring, somehow, more daunting, perhaps...