1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it seem everyone is coming out now these days?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Purp, May 5, 2015.

1. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty fantastic.

A lot of people in this generation it seems are becoming a lot more comfortable with themselves. When I came out to three of my friends, in return they came out as bisexual or curious. Recently the Fox News contributor, Guy Benson, came out. It just has surprised me how many people around me have identified themselves as something other than straight.

Anyone else notice this? I'm starting to believe the 1 in 10 statistic is a reality. They just keep popping up everywhere.

2. Buttercup2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it's great! We've reached a point where a lot of people feel comfortable coming out. It's not a perfect world by any means, but I think it's a pretty good time to be here (at least regarding this I mean).

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to agree, and it is timely to compare this to springtime: with the warm weather finally here (in my part of the world anyway), everything is starting to blossom, and in the same way for LGBT+ folk, with the repression ebbing away, we are finally seeing a blossoming of our community, into the sunshine of our own integrity.

It's a beautiful thing when people finally feel safe enough to be who they are. It is worth celebrating!

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People are becoming more accepting which is awesome

5. MetalRice

It is great, it means people are feeling comfortable being themselves; which is great.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

Well the world has moved on hugely every successive year for LGBT rights and social acceptance. The Office for National Statistics shows that in the UK 6.5% of the population is gay or bi so it's not hard to imagine half that number again are closeted or repress it as that 6.5% is people who openly admit to it.

7. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I have noticed and that's some good news. It feels like progress has been made so hopefully people will keep being confident to come out as it becomes more accepted.

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's great that people can be themselves but I also see it as some people just wanting attention from it too. So it is great for anyone who truly is questioning theirselves or trying to figure out who they really are etc but I think with how much the media is portraying it a lot of people see it as a way to get their name out there and get people focused on them

9. crazydiamond

A lot of people think that being gay is a trend or a fad, but it's just becoming clearer that being gay, bi, curious, etc. is okay and it's safe to be open about it. At least it's more safe than it was 10-20 years ago. I think that we're living in an historic time, especially in the U.S. with the Supreme Court about to decide whether marriage equality will become a nationwide right.

10. candyjiru

I think it's great! I wish I could do the same, and I'm looking forward to a day when everyone is free to be out and proud and whomever they are without hiding. (*hug*)

11. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

These damn out homosexuals are imposing on my God given right to a good clean life!
    jk but I do think we still have a long way to go as far as far as gaining acceptance and protection from longstanding homophobic ideals.

12. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

Yay for gay!

[​IMG]

13. Manitoban

I think the attention thing will disappear with time. As it becomes more "normal" to be out the "benefits" will disappear.

I think actually bisexuality might become more common though. As it becomes okay to be with either or people may be willing to experiment.

#13 Manitoban, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. Jellal

Honestly the more the better. When it's more of a normal and commonplace thing to do, nobody will approach it from the special snowflake angle, and they'll just be doing it to feel more comfortable with themselves and around other people. Which is great. I personally wish that coming out didn't have to be such a big deal. I'd like to think that there will come a day when it'll just be like telling someone you're a lefty or a righty, or ambidextrous.

15. Dreamer95

Dreamer95 Guest

I've recently come out ... kinda!

And I need some help :frowning2:

Long story short: I don't really know what I am. I've never truly been a fan of labels but here's how I can describe it best: I'm attracted to both guys and girls.

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I need advice!

Basically, there's a girl I know .. she's at the same university as me and we live in the same building on campus. She and I are friends, I guess. We met through mutual friends. I wouldn't say we were the closest of friends but we do say hi to each other and exchange the occasional text/tweet.

For the last 2 months now, I've had a crush on her and like all crushes, this one keeps getting stronger. She's bi, she's told me herself and I've also told her that I'm somewhere along those lines too!

Here's the thing though, I've never had a crush on someone like this before, let alone a girl! I really want to tell her how I feel but the fear of rejection is just too much for me to bear.

There are only 2 other people who know I have these feelings for her and one these girls knows her very well. She recently told me that my crush just got out of a rather messy relationship and that I should just stay friends with her and see how things go from there.

My other friend thinks I should try and make a move and start to flirt with her a little bit.

Yeah, I'm pretty crappy at flirting! I have absolutely no confidence or self esteem when I'm around her ... which leads me to why i signed up for this website.

About an hour ago, we were texting and by that I mean I was texting her and she was replying 2 hours later )

There was a formal dinner everyone attended last night (I couldn't make it because I was out of town). She uploaded some pictures of herself from last night and so, in one of the texts I sent her, I told her she looked 'stunning' and that all the other girls looked great too.

She's read my message (I know that thanks to iMessage, haha) but she's not replying!!

I'm freaking out! Did I say too much?? Does she think I'm a weirdo now?? I can't stop freaking out!

What do I do??

I really really like her and I want her to like me too, more than as a friend, I just don't know how!!

Someone help, please!!

16. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, and I am the expert of awesome.

17. DinelodiiGitli

I think it's lovely, it shows that there's progress being made and that acceptance is becoming more widespread.

However, I think I'll stick to my closet....for now.

18. C P

C P

It does seem that way, doesn't it?

Oh, how I envy people who are able to do so(with little to no issue)...as I don't ever see myself being out... :-\

19. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I love how common coming out/owning queerness is becoming! The only downside I'm seeing so far is all the folks claiming it's some new trend, when really the social climate is just changing to become more accepting. People act like we haven't always been here, but too afraid to say anything, & then mock/belittle our identities & assume we're being fake once we decide to explore that aspect of ourselves.

20. Justinian20

I think that the world is becoming more accepting of us LGBT people and I like that since it means more people are becoming comfortable with coming out and that is great for our community. So let's give three cheers Hooray, Hooray, Hooray, We are all gay. YAAAY.