1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the sex talk...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bubbles123, May 5, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So at sixteen years old, I recently got somewhat of a sex talk from my dad. It basically went like this:
    Dad: So, uh do you know what sex is?
    Me: Yes, dad.
    Dad: You know what condoms and birth control is and all that?
    Me: Yes, dad.
    Dad: Okay I'm not really comfortable talking about this either haha so are you good?
    Me: Yup.
    Dad: Okay.

So yeah, not the most extensive sex talk but I'm not complaining it was kind of funny actually. I'm just wondering what you guys think about when should parents give the sex talk? At a really young age or later on? When would you give the sex talk if you ever have kids? Also, if anyone has any funny or awkward stories feel free to share!

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I got mine at 3 1/2 so...:lol:

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think I got mine at 13 or so with my Mom

It's funny because nowadays we talk about sex like we're best friends LOL I don't really feel embarrassed/awkward about sex though. And I plan on talking to my kids.

4. LaEsmeralda

Never got it, not from school or my parents. I read erotic Harry Potter fanfiction when I was 13 and that was the closet to sex education I ever got :slight_smile:

5. LD579

That's a good question, actually. I remember my dad's cousin and my mom gave the talk to my older brother a few years ago, but it's yet to happen to me, and by now I surely know more than they do (Post-secondary health classes, self-research, a few one-on-one talks with nurses, plus standard high school sex ed). Maybe it's been indefinitely postponed because I'm gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'd say it probably depends on the child as to when you should give the talk. I'd be hesitant giving any numbered age except as a guideline, and even then I'm not sure. I don't have embarrassing stories of sex talks given to me by other people besides my parents, but I've given some sex talks to a lot of gay/bi people because it can be a little different and there's lots of info that unfortunately isn't presented right or said enough, like proper usage and storage of a condom, or contraction of STIs and risk management. Those talks have all gone without mishap too, actually. xD

6. Lyana

Oh dear... Erotic HP fanfiction when I was 13 was also my version of sex ed, LaEsmeralda. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I'm none the worse for it, honestly.

We did have biology in middle & high school though, so we did talk about reproduction, contraception, and safer sex. I never got a sex talk from my parents (reassured them I knew enough), but I remember discussing condom use with my mother, and she several times suggested I be put on the pill. I was also upfront with her about my sexual activity status. So I guess I just didn't need to be put through an excruciating Talk.

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say probably around 11-12 would be wheni would give my kids the sex talk just because I know from experience that a lot of kids start dating and becoming more involved then and I know quite a few people who were having sex when I was 13 so I would want to make sure they knew everything they needed to know just in case that happened

8. DinelodiiGitli

I sort of figured things out on my own when I was 12-13.

My Mom's version of the talk was:
    Mom: "Hey."
    Me: "Hey."
    Mom: "Here's a book about perio-female things. And stuff. Also no dating. Ever." *throws book*
    Me: "Okay."

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Around the onset of puberty. It's stupid to wait until after puberty is already in full swing. Especially when it comes to knowing how your body works.

10. Im Hazel

I was given a book on it bdfore I could read. It told you everything I didn't need to know about heterosexual relationships between cis people. If only it had mentioned that sex and gender are differant, or that homosexuality isn't evil. (Or, indeed, exists.) My life would be better.

11. Lazuri

I guess I just kind of learned it by myself. At some point my parents were like "I assume you know about sex at this point?" I just said "yupp" and that was it.

12. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In 6th grade, they told us how babies are made, but not actually how the sperm reaches the ovaries. At the time, I had never heard of sex. I asked my mom how the sperm reaches the ovaries and she said that the mommy and the daddy "get really close to each other". I took extra caution to keep a distance between myself and the boys at Hebrew school. I didn't want to get pregnant...

In 7th grade, my school assigned us each our own laptop. For the first time ever, I had unrestricted and private access to the internet. You can guess what I may have found.

Now, in 11th grade, we are learning about human reproduction in Biology class.

I have never been given "the talk".

13. Aster

My mam never gave me it. Although in England sex-ed gets taught at around the age of 10 so there was really no need for it. And I may or may not have learned the dirtiest of stuff at the age of 11 from accdently coming across Pokémon smut fanfiction (which was how I discovered fanfiction in the first place).

I think an appropriate age is 11-12 as kids will be getting more curious then.

14. ChameleonSoul

I got the talk about puberty and sperm and eggs combining to make a baby when I was around 10 or 11 and we got the actual "talk" in 7th grade Health. I never talked about it with my mother though and she just kind of assumed that I would find out about it eventually.

15. crazydiamond

I remember very limited sex education in school. In elementary school they explained periods, erections, and how babies are made. Then in middle school they started showing us the STD slideshow as a scare tactic. As for my mother, she never really had a sex talk with me. I kind of figured it out through friends and the internet. Has anyone had sex ed where they actually talk about homosexual sex?

16. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Learned myself, my parents aren't comfortable talking about sex.

I think it is important thought, if I do have kids (I don't intend to), I will talk about the subject with them around 11-12, and be open about this at any time they need advice.

17. Lipstick Leuger

This makes me so sad! parents still don't talk to their kids about something they will most likely be doing some day. I have never hid anything from my kids and always been very open with them just like I talk to people here. You slant it so they can understand at the age they are at, but I would rather my kids to ask if I will help them get birth control if they choose to have sex instead of my kid coming home pregnant or dying.

18. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had a very vague explanation when I was like 7/8, but I don't thhink I'll get it now they know I'm gay....
    But also sex ed at school only went as far as to mention that gay people existed, so basically I know what I've read online. There are also some good youtube videos, but you need to be 18 for some stupid reason.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Do you know what sex is?"
    "Yes."
    "When a man puts his penis in a woman's vagina is..."
    "I fucking know!"

I was around 12

20. GayJay

All I ever got was learning about the male and female reproductive organs in biology when I was 16, and that weren't really about sex. More what the cells were made up of.

My mum kinda tried when I started having the same girl stay over most nights, I was 16 then also. But it didn't go well I refused to listen to her. I had already had sexual partners by that age so I didn't see a point her telling me.
    I'm glad we have more a friendship bond than parent-child now and it can be joked about and talked about pretty openly really.

But yeah I think in the western world, a lot of kids have sex a lot younger than 16. Parents need to accept that and educate their children earlier on, I would go with 12, but later/earlier depending on the nature of your child.