1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever attended any Ivy league or other prestigious universities?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jolly Roger, May 5, 2015.

1. Jolly Roger

Hi there. I just wanted to know if anyone has attended any top Ivy league schools, or other prodigious universities. I'm a sophomore in highschool at the momment, and I'm planning on applying to Stanford, University of Michigan, MIT, Cornell, and UPenn. If anyone has actually managed the astounding task of being accepted into any schools like this, what advice do you have to give, and was it worth all the work and money? I'm trying my absolute hardest right now in school, and statistically it seems that I have a shot. However, that's all it is, a shot.

2. LD579

The main advantages are the prestige and status of having it on your resume to flaunt, the opportunities you'll have at those schools, and the people and connections you'll make there. Is it worth the money? It depends on the person. It is, though, something that's rapidly losing its worth relative to before because of the changing standards of the world and ways to earn success. Innovation trumps all else, and that can't be attained anywhere.

It's good to have a goal, but I would say to make sure you also enjoy your high school experience. There is more to school and life than academic success, and many important things can be learned besides things in subjects, like teamwork, resolving conflicts, and making and maintaining connections of all kind. If you are enjoying your high school experience, then that's absolutely fantastic.

I know a fair few successful people, and the thing they all have in common is a strong social game and pleasant demeanour. Most of these people are attending moderately decent schools, but not Ivy League. There are, of course, maybe one or two dozen people I know who've gotten into Stanford, Cambridge, Harvard, etc. who are also successful.

On the other hand, the most "successful" person I know is only 21 and she already has a multimillion business startup. This is a girl who was one of my best friends in high school right from grade 8, but it's come at a high cost: her relationships and interpersonal skills have suffered immensely, partly from stress, and partly from not fostering and practicing those skills routinely. Of course, success can't be measured solely through monetary means, or through interpersonal relationships, but ideally neither would suffer at the hands of the other. Ultimately, being happy is the greatest measure of success, in my opinion.

I know I've segued and inferred a lot, but hopefully that gives you some perspective. The takeaway lesson is that moderation is best. Ambition is great, but I would suggest not getting carried away and casting out all else for the golden apple of a rotting tree.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My undergraduate degree is from Harvard and I have to say it was an amazing experience. It's the only undergraduate college I attended so I don't really have a point of comparison, but there really was something to being surrounded at every turn by people who were driven and brilliant. I honestly think the experience itself is worth it--not just as something to put on your resume. As far as what you want to do to build a successful application, I have a fair amount of experience. I applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Brown and got into all of them--and my main advice would just be that you need to be interesting. Straight As with great test scores won't necessarily cut it--you need varied and interesting activities--something that will make an admission officer think you will contribute something to campus life that someone else will not. Don't focus all your efforts on academics--athletics, volunteer work, business activities (basically anything that shows some character or ability that the masses of valedictorians may not have) will all help. An enjoyable well-rounded life won't just be good for your psyche it's actually good for your application. Good luck!!

4. Whovian6789

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Gen

Gen

I attend one of the top research universities in the country. I choose not to apply to private schools because Stanford doesn't have very diverse programs, particularly in the sciences; and my fees wouldn't be covered out of state.

What I would recommend is making the smartest decision. If you are already confident that you are going to graduate school, than don't get caught up on prestige. When it comes to prestige, people are only going to care where you received your highest degree. If you receive full rides, then head to wherever you want. Otherwise, don't shovel on additional fees for the sake of a name.
    Teen-OGS wasn't messing around!

6. Hiems

Everyone gave really solid advice so far. In addition, consider applying for safety net schools... ones you know that you'll likely get into with the majors you're interested in, should you not get accepted or get wait-listed for the ones you wanted to attend.

I also agree with Gen. Take the full rides when possible. My high school valedictorian actually got a full ride to Harvard, and I was like o_o Damn lol.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. Why do you think those schools will be best for you?

8. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I attended Ivy league for undergrad and graduate. For me, it was a great experience (undergrad, at least). These schools give out pretty generous financial aid packages as well, so I think the cost isn't much of a factor. Good luck in your applications.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I attended a good school for undergrad, and don't know if it would necessarily be considered prestigious, but it seems to fetch a positive response. I received good grades. Grad school was done at one of the better research oriented public schools, and I was able to get in because of my undergraduate record and possibly because I added demographic diversity ... by way of geography. Like Gen said above, it's your last degree in the sequence, if you will, that counts the most.

The big questions are (1) do you think you'll be studying something that requires graduate school or would you like to go to graduate school, and (2) how much debt can you and would you take on, after considering some sort of financial aid package?

Everyone matures at a different rate. It's good you are asking these questions now. The impressive schools really want to see the whole package - grades, test scores, activities which show you are well rounded, and things that make you stand out, so plan accordingly. You have one of the best American public universities in your very own state. When I was applying, I only had the grades and the test scores, with zero in the way of other involvement, so any exceptional school was definitely out of reach for me.

Finally, if you study something you are passionate about, you will do so much better in school, rather than have the experience feel like you are having teeth pulled!

10. Foz

Foz Guest

What uni you go to (at least in the UK) doesn't matter at all now, some uni's are OK overall but are leaders in a few programmes. Take Dundee university, it is one of the worst for studying language but offers the seconds best medical programme in the UK. Also don't get too hung up on league tables as they always have a bias towards prestigious institutions, such as dropping down a few places if one has more reasonable entry requirements etc.

But always go look at the places you're applying to, I was heart set on studying veterinary medicine at Edinburgh but when I go there it was nothing like I thought (all full of privately educated toffs) and it broke my heart, but at least I went to see it, otherwise I would've been stuck there.

I'm actually going down to have a look at Durham Global Security Institute next week as it's where I want to do my masters, the Scottish government won't fund it (or don't even offer post grad loans) but these big places to offer £millions worth of scholarships and funding every year. DGSI is supposed to be the best place in the world to study my programme but I'll decide that once I actually get there and see it for myself.

#10 Foz, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  11. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I got into an Ivy League school (Vassar) but went to another private school instead. I still have school loans and I'm not sure how much it helps having a private school on my resume, but it's too late for me to second guess that now. I agree with Gen, make the smart decision and find the best school for you and your major.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I would add is, while the money should definitely be something to consider once you finally pick one school to go to, don't let it determine where you apply. Apply to at least a few places just because you think it would be a great educational and personal experience. I don't know your personal or financial situation but the Ivys in particular don't actually give academic scholarships--the admission is the scholarship:lol:--but they do give need-based financial aid, very generous need-based financial aid. If your family is not particularly well off it's quite possible that an Ivy League school will be just as affordable (or even more affordable) than another one. I had full rides at my local schools in Utah--not quite sure how that happened since I didn't actually apply to either of them--but they only covered tuition, while all four of the Ivys actually covered tuition and a good portion of my living expenses, and we weren't even dirt poor just regular poor.:lol: Dream big and then when it finally comes down to it and you really have all the information--by which I mean admission packets in hand--make the sensible decision.

13. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

If you are able, you really just have to visit and get a feel for the school. Even if you get into an ivy it may not be the best fit as far as students, faculty, and overall campus values. If money is an issue you should also consider travel costs if you decide to leave your state. You may not think it is a big deal, but trust me being stranded at school during Thanksgiving or Christmas kind of sucks; you begin to feel like Harry Potter.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm attending my state's flagship in the fall: the University of Missouri-Columbia, which has arguably the world's best journalism Institute, but I've thought about going to an Ivy League college to get my doctorate, mainly Harvard, Yale or Princeton. That's still a long ways off though.

15. Jolly Roger

Thank you all for the great advice. As for making myself competitive, I have a very close to perfect GPA. For extra curricular activities, I compete in the Business Professionals of America and received first place at the state level for website design, I'm the drum Major for my marching band, and a soloist in my schools Jazz band. I'm going to CEO camp, computer engineering camp, and drum major camp this summer and I'm a freshman mentor and tutor. Aditionally I'm the captain of the quizbowl team, and debate team. I'm going to take AP American History, and AP environmental next year. So does this make me competitive, or does it make me look like a "try hard"(not in a good way) to admission officers.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it makes you very competitive. If you are enjoying all those extracurricular activities and juggling them without overburdening yourself, then don't worry. If you are doing it to make sure you have your fingers in all the pies, then it might require some reflection. However, if you are that intellectually capable, then I think you might be enjoying these things. And, if you are that intellectually capable, you will most likely obtain standardized test scores to match.

Just remember, when you are picking a college and a course of study, follow your heart. Also, it is highly recommended that you tour the schools to the extent that you can and sort of immerse yourself in them for that short while. Your gut will also speak volumes.