1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help to ace an audition!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EleanorHunter, May 5, 2015.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, to all the actors/actresses on EC, I would love some advice.

A theater company I've never worked with before is holding auditions for Little Shop of Horrors in about two weeks. I'm so excited, considering that's my favorite musical. That's also the problem, because it means I want a part (specifically Audrey) really badly.

There are some advantages on my part though. This company mostly does junior shows and younger kids camps, and this is their first production with an older age group. They're only letting people ages 16-25 audition. Since their actors seem to mostly be kids, that means they'll probably be looking for newer faces rather than relying on their old favorites (like any other theater would). My resume is pretty good, with a whole bunch of plays and three leads in musicals (most recently, Glinda in The Wizard of Oz). I've been to camps and currently take jazz dance. I take voice lessons and got a 1 (top ranking) for my solo at State Solo/Ensemble.

So while it's not my skill that I'm worried about, I just wanna know what else I can do to make a good impression. I'm planning on auditioning on the first day at an earlier time, so that I'll stand out in their minds; is that a good idea? I only have to prepare a few bars of music, then they'll offer a cold reading or teach a little dance if they like my voice. Is there any advice you guys could give me?

Also, if anybody wants to talk about their other auditions or if they need advice for a similar problem, feel free to discuss in this thread!

2. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi! I'm not an actor but I auditioned as an Organist at several conservatoires and got in everywhere.
    For me how well the audition went varied depending on the panel. One was really friendly, and we had a cup of tea and a chat in the Organ loft before I played for them. Another place was very unnerving and I did a very bad performance.
    Try and remember I guess that they want you to do well. I dont know exactly how these auditions work, but Learn learn learn tonnes of stuff about Little Shop, like famous perormances, your favourite recording/performer of a song etc. they love that if they end up talking to you. You're obviously talented so they'll be even more impressed if they can see how enthusiastic you are.
    Good luck!:slight_smile:

3. tscott

It depends on what you're allowed in your audition. Often in musicals you only get between 16 and 32 bars to sing. Do they want an outside reading? There are a lot of variables. Knock 'em dead.

4. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Probably what I'll end up doing.

We only get about 16 bars to sing. Then they'll say if they want us to read from the script or not. It's pretty nerve racking to think about.

5. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good news! Apparently the theater company itself is not very competitive at all. So they start off as not being competitive, and they're starting a new group... Oh wow I'm excited.

6. Joelouis

Good luck!
    I hope you get the part!